This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wounded Soldier

Does anyone remember the story about the boy with a stomach wound who was told he would die; said I am not ready, tied a mess plate over the wound and lived? Thank you
    Gary Adams

Re: Wounded Soldier

Do you just want to know if someone remembers or are you looking for more info?
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

What sort of reply was that? Someone feeling a little uppity today? I expect the gentleman was seeking further comments about the story.

Phil McBride
      Phil McBride
      Author:
      Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
      Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
      Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
      Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
      Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
      Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Phil,
        I asked myself the same question that Jeremy asked. This Thread will be shut down now for sure....;)

Comment

Originally posted by Phil McBride View Post
          What sort of reply was that? Someone feeling a little uppity today? I expect the gentleman was seeking further comments about the story.

Phil McBride
          I thought Jeremy asked a reasonable question. Do you have any further comments about the story Phil?
          Last edited by PetePaolillo; 05-05-2010, 08:22 AM.
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Let's keep the discussion to the initial question asked. If no one has anything of value to add to the initial inquiry, then this thread will drop to the bottom in short order. Hint, hint.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Since I am slow let's go one step at a time are you saying you remember it? Then yes I would like to have the details. Thank you
              Gary Adams

Comment

To Pete, Nope, I have never heard of the story, but it sounds fascinating. I would like to learn the details and the source.

Phil McBride
                Phil McBride
                Author:
                Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

I am not sure if this is the exact story, but Richard Snowdon Andrews from MD was in command of a battery under Jackson at Cedar Mountain and had a terrible stomach wound. It is actually an unbelievable story and I would not be able to do it justice. So, I will give the fodder for further reading and also say his jacket is in EoG with part of the story describing his wound and recovery.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Rob, That seems like the story the gentleman was asking

In August of 1862, the 31-year-old major was in charge of General Charles S. Winder's divisional artillery. On August 9, at the Battle of Cedar Mountain in Virginia, a Federal shell exploded close by, which nearly disemboweled Andrews when fragments struck his right side. Holding in his intestines with one hand and sliding from his horse, he fell to the ground and landed on his back. He lay there for hours before being sent to hospital. When surgeons examined him, they all insisted that the wound was fatal. In one account, the hospital surgeon insisted that there would be but one chance in a hundred of his survival. Reportedly Andrews answered, "Well, I am going to hold on to my one chance." The surgeon sewed him up with needle and thread and left him his one chance. Within eight months, and after being fitted with a silver plate over his wound, he returned to his unit. But luck left him again at the Second Battle of Winchester when he was wounded once more. After recovery from this third wound, he was assigned as an envoy to Europe.

story is in Confederate Echoes of Glory
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

And with that, I think the initial question has been answered. I'm going to close this now so it doesn't end up going off on some tangent.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                      X