No announcement yet.

Wearing Originals vs. Reproductions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wearing Originals vs. Reproductions....

Seconded- I bring my 1892 Fischer Fiddle out (I know, I know, but this is probably the only fiddle I will ever own- it is 19th century, correct pattern and size, and in stellar condition- not to mention having the sweetest tone that out matches instruments 5 times its price) to events in a PC-coffin case I picked up for $40. I think the case may be post-war, but not by much. I figure that both items have survived over 100 years of constant use, and under my care, I have no worries of them surviving hundreds more.

Jessa- how is the chin rest attached? It may be possible to remove it without damaging anything, and be just as easy to put it back on after an event, depending- of course- on how it is attached to the fiddle. Can you PM me a picture?

Cheers,

-Chris
    --Chris Thulien--

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." -Gen. John Sedgwick

2nd Virginia Co. F.
    Winchester Riflemen

Comment

Chris- The chin rest has since been removed. There are some rubbed places in the finish where it sat...... it now resides happily in the case beside the fiddle.... close companions for a century. :)
      It also has an excellent tone, matching much more expensive 21st century rivals.
      Jessa Hawthorne
      Un-Reconstructed string band / Hardee's Guard Battalion Civilian Society

Comment

I have a 61 Springfield made from parts, bayonet for the same, original Fed buttons, a silver English pocket watch, flat ware, and a Swedish bible.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have carried original muskets - now usually only to a Living History, original gun tools, perhaps a watch, matchsafe, and sometimes other small things. Back in the Day - John Hudson used to carry an original high hump Richmond - and later an original LeMatt pistol and Boyle and Gamble staff officer sword...... He used to twirl the Richmond like a baton...
          George Susat
          Confederate Guard

Comment

I have three original muskets that I carry to events (P1853 Enfield, M1815 Springfield, M1809 Prussian), along with their matching bayonets and tools. I am currently working on finishing a restock on an original M1797 still in flintlock configuration. I also have a couple of original coverlets, but I only use them at living histories. I'm currently collecting buttons for some of my Federal jackets. For me, "hard" items are okay for field carry, provided that their value is not astronimical. Cloth, leather, or especially fragile items are no-go's for me.

Regards,
            Garrett Glover
            Garrett Glover

Comment

As a collector and vendor, I have access to pretty much anything I would want. What determines if I use original items such as a musket, pocket watch, is the type of event. Living History versus Tactical or Battle Reenactment (which I HATE) and the weather. The bayonet is a given, as I own a ton of those and the repros do not cut it. Back in the 70's we used a LOT of original stuff as the repro things ere just not out there. Now, that is not the case, so I go for preservation or use in the field when the reproduction equipment is so close to the originals.
              John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
              The Hard Head Mess
              The Old Northwest Volunteers
              5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
              Civil War Battlefield Preservation
              Sons of American Revolution
              Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
              Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
              Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

I have carried an original Enfield rifle musket and bayonet to a living history event, as well as a pocket watch, knife and fork, and a few coins.
                Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Well just added another original item to my kit. A original 1863 penny. Picked it up a few years ago at a coin show. Just decided a few days ago to add it to my kit.
                  Philip D. Brening
                  Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                  3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

I'm with Mr. Wedeward- I hate battle reenactments, so I limit myself to Living History type events. Depending on the weather, I use an original Lorenz Rifle with original bayonet, pocket watch, coverlet, pocket testament, eyeglasses, tin cup and flatware.
                    Regards,
                    Paul Manzo
                    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

In my field desk there a number of original items that I keep, primarily because they are protected. These include a U.S. Army Regulations Manual (1863), Casey's Drill Manual, Kautz' Company Clerk, a collection of original U.S. Army forms in mint condition bound by non-original red tape (I have some red tape given to me by an archivist at the National Archives, but I cannot definitely date it to the 1860s), a supply of blank paper from old U.S. Army adjutant-general's books (this includes a replica Confederate order book I made that looks like some originals I have seen at the National Archives and is made with some of the original paper), and such desk implements as ink wells, pen nibs, an ivory-handled envelope opener, scissors and ruler. There are also a couple books printed before the war for reading and an original tintype of a child encased in an original hinged gutta percha photo case. I also have an original key wind pocket watch and chain, and my mess gear includes sterling flatware of patterns that date prior to the war. Depending upon the weather forecast, I will sometimes bring an original snare drum to camp (if we are doing a static impression) that is fun to play. I also own an original Federal knapsack, but in the field I use an excellent, well-made replica of the same model produced by a fellow in New Jersey.
                      Tom Williams

Comment

All right, just added another 19th century item to my kit. It is a small buckle that I found yesterday at a antique store. Going to have it made into a belt. Here is a picture of the buckle: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120716-00053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	223098
                        Philip D. Brening
                        Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                        3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

I am brand new to CW reenactment, but I am an old hand at pocket watch collecting, and I also dabble in coins. I have three named CW pocket watches that were carried, respectively, by a private in the 33rd TX Cav., a Lt. in the 25th MI Infantry (I recently showed this watch on another thread), and a major in the 12th IN Cav. The two officer's watches were presentations to the owners by their unit or commanding officer.

Here are some pictures of the watch that was presented to Major Josiah B Cobb of the 12th IN cav. by his colonel, in 1864. (Cobb actually began his career as a sergeant in the 2nd IN Cav. in 1861, was promoted to Lt. in that unit, and then mustered out and returned to Goshen IN, where he helped to organize the 12th IN cav. in the winter of 1863.) The watch has an "Appleton, Tracy & Co." grade Model 1857 movement made by the American Watch Co. of Waltham (the successor to AT & Co.), and the surviving factory records indicate that it was manufactured in October of 1863. (The 12th IN cav. was formed in the winter of 1863 and mustered in in March, 1864.) American watches were the first watches to be made to standard sizes on an "interchangeable parts" basis, and many movements, such as this one, originally were cased outside the factory. The movement of this watch is in an original 18K gold case carrying the mark of Giles, Wales & Co., a well known watch wholesaler/retailer of the period.

Also shown are two coins of CW interest. (I hope all the pictures uploaded correctly.) They are both 1861-O seated Liberty half dollars. The US Mint in N.O. changed hands twice in 1861, first from Federal to Louisiana authority in January, 1861, and again from LA to CSA authority in March, 1861. They continued striking coins from the original federal design dies until they ran out of silver bullion. Thanks to recent research which has succeeded in correlating the minor variations among the fifteen 15 different obverse and reverse die combinations that have been recorded, it is now possible to tell with reasonable certainty which coins were minted under which authority. The two examples pictured were struck respectively under State of LA (the MS - 64 example), and under CSA (the AU - 53) authority. Both coins are in a high state of preservation and will remain in their Professional Coin Grading Service holders.
                          Attached Files
                          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Clint Geller[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                            Another area where originals can be used is the bayonet. Original bayonets are greatly superior to the made in India
                            garbage. They way we use bayonets (or don't use them) they are not exposed to the opportunity for much damage.
                            Clothing or anything of the sort (hats, gloves, socks) I would shy away from for the reasons mentioned. If damaged
                            or lost, so is an important part of the material culture of the time period.
                            I second this. The bayonet I use had no patina when I got it so I was relieved of any angst over it. Also, the strength and durability of the original surpasses the repros by far, not to mention the dang fit (what gives, India and Italy? Seriously!). Other than that, I use original silverware.

The only other thing is not totally authentic, but I do use post-war staff buttons on a new impression. Here your choices are to be freaked out every second using super-expensive authentic items, or slightly anachronistic, less rare (read=affordable) but ‘ok’ buttons of correct construction with minor differences from CW-era examples, or modern repros that have an equivocal level of detail but are of inferior construction. I don't know what others have done but I figured overall I made an effort to be the most accurate I could be but acknowledging a little compromise. Is that a forgivable offense in your eyes?
                            Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

I use an original Enfield from 1859 and a bayonet that I do believe is original. Rest of my stuff is reproductions.

----

Many of our people use different original muskets. including Swedish, "German" and danish muskets (some of the danish where issued during the 1864 war)
                              And we don't care if it is a rifled or smooth bore... just need to be a 3 band percussion musket.

And this is what we tell new people to get.

The reason is that danish law makes it rather problematic to use replicas for reenactment. It is legally a weapon and must be stored in a arms locker and other limited. And we need a special dispensation for some rules from the "Rigspolitiet" (that is the central police department in Copenhagen, on not you local police station) to use it for reenactment.

An original muzzle loaded gun made before 1870 is not a weapons. (legally)
                              So it is the event who gets a permit for the event from the local police. Then I can legally receive black powder at that event and use it firing blanks at the event.

Also the price of the originals is not that much different from buying a new replica.
                              Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Working...
                              X