Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian made- Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indian made- Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
    These pictures made the rounds today in the NPS, we have been having a number of discussions about these weapons lately and this really solidifies our view of them.
    Well, very glad to hear that. I can imagine what NPS BP guru General Jim Lewis has to say on it...

I am glad I kept my trusty Todd Watts defarbed Enfield. I have not been out in a while but plan to do a Memorial Day
    event at Stones River with the 9th KY boys (and Dad). Having Watts (and Dad) in that unit, they are more than a little
    picky about what gets used in the ranks. I think the 9th and the STRI rat pack (volunteers) probably have the highest
    concentration of Todd Watts defarbed Enfields in the hobby, probably 100%. No "gas pipe" barrels in the bunch.

Mr Landrum, Dad says you and your Parker-Hale Enfield w/ original bayonet are welcome to join us out at STRI
    next Sunday. He will even buy you a hot dog! They are free courtesy of the VFW.
    Last edited by ; 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I kind of regret getting rid of my P-H last year after seeing what's available now, but then again, there are more of them out there if I am patient. Then again, I may carry a '61 Springfield this time around. :o
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

That looks like one of the xxxxxxxxx models. Those are NOT meant to be live-fired but many do. The barrel is extruded steel which is evidenced by looking at the grainy appearance of the sattered steel edge. The ball was either not rammed all the way down, or something caused it to suddenly stall just past the sight. There appears to be a lot os scratches on the bore wall at that point and that is where the bulge begins that leads to the rupture. What also is of great concernas to the fireability is the total lack of reaming or polishing if the bore. It is criss-crossed by rough drill marks which means the bore is not of consitent caliber throughout. As far as re-enacting loads these ar efine, but they should not be fired live if they have not been at least polished.
        Last edited by JimKindred; 05-23-2011, 07:24 AM. Reason: It has been asked by the moderators that no speculation of the company or company's involved be made without proof.

Comment

Folks, do not use company names unless you can provide proof beyond question they sold the musket.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Sorry, the "xxxxx" name was not meant to say for sure that "X" sold it, but it resembles the ones I see from "X" and stood in line near this past weekend.
            I own a Brown Bess that came from India. It was sold by The Discerning General up in Canada and I have really put her through her paces. It has held up well with my double charge proof (.735" ball over 2 90-grs FFg charges) and multiple live-fires. However I have seen the very same model blown identically to the Enfield in this topic so there is a risk to these guns that arrive minus any known verifiable proofs. Just be aware of the risks and proceed at thine own risk. Of course, knowing the risks and blowing yourself up is one thing, but having that happen while it is over the shoulder and between the heads of 2 of your buddies can probably ruin an event and damage friendships.

Comment

This thread is closed until more information about the actual occurance is given. Fair warnings about these type of firearms have been given. The Moderators will definitely post the information here when it is given. Thank you
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Working...
              X