Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Event Memory From 2014

Greetings & Happy New Year to Everyone!

2015 is upon us! Time to look forward to next year and think about which events to attend. As you probably know, we have a thread for that: CLICK HERE.

So, as we get ready for New Years - Family, Friends, Parties, Bowl Games and such... just for fun, let's also look back at 2014. What was your best memory of an event this past year? I will go first:

It was unexpected, and quite fulfilling. It was the hospital scenario from the Franklin 150th event at the Carnton Plantation. Although it was staged for spectators, it was perhaps one of my best memories not just for 2014, but for the many events I have attended. The line to get into the house was out into the parking lot. Ken Cornett, Joe Liechty and I were on the second floor making a racket. In three or four spots, the actual bloodstains were still on the floor and in one particular spot, you could still see the outline of where a bucket sat for the amputations. Being upstairs, we watched the expressions of the visitors as they came into the house. They were very solemn and very much in awe. All of us kept this up for close to three hours. Money was raised for preservation and it was obvious by the reaction of the plantation staff that they had not seen something like this at the site before. Overall, Franklin was a very good event. It was made memorable in my book because of this scenario.

What about you? What was your best event memory from 2014?
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Best Event Memory From 2014

I was only able to get in two events this season...Pickett's Mill and Cedar Creek. Given those two options, I'd have to go with Cedar Creek. Yeah the weather was cold but the EARLY Sunday AM march with being on actual ground to the day put it over the top for me.
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

My first true campaigner experience at the Pilot Knob event in September. Waking up early in the morning to the fog hanging low to the ground and my pards huddled around a fire was a true time warp moment for me.
      Dan Stilley
      Tater Mess/ Holmes Brigade
      [COLOR="#0000FF"]Proud descendant of Elijah and Nathan Mosher- 3rd Iowa Volunteer Infantry
      Henry Hollenbeck- 11th Kansas Cavalry Co. B
      Greenberry Kelly- 2nd Iowa Infantry
      John Riley Stilley- 128th Illinois Infantry
      Thomas Freeborn-72nd Illinois Infantry Co. I[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FF0000"]Killed at Franklin, Tennessee[/COLOR]

Comment

I have plenty of favorite moments from 2014 (1864):
        At the 150th Olustee, Florida I was part of a Federal stretcher crew and we toted the wounded and dying off the field. It was exciting but also tiring! We helped carry a white officer and a colored sergeant from the USCT contingent, while under fire, and it had a very real feel to it.
        The 150th Pickett's Mill was my first campaigner experience and my favorite moment was Saturday morning, not knowing where the enemy was and preparing defenses. We built breastworks from fallen logs and branches and then waited for the inevitable Confederate attack. As they came through the clearing in the woods, it had a real “Red Badge of Courage” feeling to it. I found myself actually scared of the enemy and kept my head down most of the time. After we drove them back, we made our trek to the next battlefield and though we may have gotten lost in the woods, it really felt like we were back in time, a horde of Federals marching through no man's land in Dallas, Georgia.
        At the 150th Atlanta Campaign at Nash Farm, the best moment of the weekend was the Cheatham's Hill battle on Saturday afternoon. I heard nothing but firing to my left and right as the whole Federal line traded shots with the Confederates in the trenches on top of the hill. We charged the hill four times, losing men every time and we had expended almost all our ammunition. It was one of the most intense reenacting battles I have been part of.
        At the 150th Franklin, it was really touching making the march from Winstead Hill to the Carter House. It was the actual ground that the men marched en-route to the final charge at the Carter House. We marched on the highway and the city of Franklin seemed to stop. Many vehicles on the opposite side of the road stopped, whether it was to take pictures or simply find out what was going on. People stopped on the streets and business owners looked out their windows. Not many people remember what happened in Franklin 150 years ago and I hope by our march, that many of the spectators would take time to learn more. Once we reached the field opposite the Carter House, time seemed to stop. Patrick Craddock, made a fantastic speech before the charge and I began to openly weep as we made the assault. Men took hits all around till nearly the whole company had vanished before the murderous fire of the entrenched Federals. As we lay wounded and dying, I raised my head to see all the homes and businesses surrounding the Carter House. It is sad to know that only a small portion of ground remains where so much blood and sacrifice was made 150 years before.
        I look forward to 2015 (aka 1865) and hope there will be plenty more memorable experiences!
        Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
        150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
        150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
        Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
        Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
        Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
        Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
        154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
        Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Best event memory might depend on definition. I will give two.

At the small Routed at Guntown event put on by Rod Miller our small band of federals sat around a small fire in some thickets. Terry Sorchy cooked us a god meal from what we had on that fire. While he was cooking Brian Jankowski cut small chunks from a ham tossing it in turn to each man. We all sat there talking, laughing and enjoying the company all in first person without anyone trying it seemed. I was taken back in time for several minutes without even knowing it at the time.

The other was a Pickett's Mill and at the other end of the spectrum. It was Saturday night going to bed down for the night under a shelter strung up between some trees shared with Sean Collicott and Ivan Ingraham. Under two shelter halves we had the three of us and all our gear clumped together trying to be dry. I was soaked through from head to toe. I wedged myself in my spot in the middle wrapping up in my blanket. I thought I would never sleep I was wet, uncomfortable with a pile of wet gear at my head, water dripping on my feet, a hammer from Sean's rifle poking my in the side and no room to move. I fell asleep and slept sound for at least several hours. Waking up to the stench of wet wool and dirty men. I felt rested and oddly happy crawling out of that shelter to the small fire kept going on the road.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

I have to go with Eric on the Franklin event. All the moving scenario's and quality of friendship made that one unbelievable for me. I will give a mention to Bermuda Hundred though. Pagano really pulled off a good one there. I was extremely impressed with Hick's WIG metropolis. That thing will probably last a good twenty years.
            Ken Cornett
            MESS NO.1
            Founding Member
            OHIO
            Mason Lodge #678, PM
            Need Rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Bevard View Post

The other was a Pickett's Mill and at the other end of the spectrum. It was Saturday night going to bed down for the night under a shelter strung up between some trees shared with Sean Collicott and Ivan Ingraham. Under two shelter halves we had the three of us and all our gear clumped together trying to be dry. I was soaked through from head to toe. I wedged myself in my spot in the middle wrapping up in my blanket. I thought I would never sleep I was wet, uncomfortable with a pile of wet gear at my head, water dripping on my feet, a hammer from Sean's rifle poking my in the side and no room to move. I fell asleep and slept sound for at least several hours. Waking up to the stench of wet wool and dirty men. I felt rested and oddly happy crawling out of that shelter to the small fire kept going on the road.
              I enjoyed that event immensely. It was my first campaigner event after returning to the hobby after a long hiatus. The lesson here is that three big guys need four shelter halves to construct a shebang large enough for any hope of staying dry! Then again, the deluge was biblical.

Another great memory is of the Kennesaw Living History hosted by the Hairy Nation Boys. What a great time, particularly in camp. Singing and general soldier life made it really interesting. The mundane done well, I think.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Kennesaw!
                - Portraying men from my Hoosier home, Montgomery & Tippecanoe Counties!
                - Meeting a brother ( /G\ ) and WW2 LST mechanic among the spectators and having a long conversation with him.
                - Talking with spectators... grabbing the interest of bored kids and confused grown-ups
                ...confused because some could not understand how we could eat food that had been left out of a refrigerator (gasp!) all afternoon! (swoon at the thought... then they ask if they can taste something)

Wish I could have worn wool to Franklin, but it was good to see you boys, all the same.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Oh yeah...
                  Aiken, South Carolina
                  (OK, rub your eyes, then look at the screen again. Yes, that's what it says)

My son's first event! We had a ball around the campfire with Neill "Iron Scout" Rose and his kids.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger
                  Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Franklin was definitely a highlight. I greatly enjoyed Kennesaw also and was glad I made the trip. Pickett's Mill will be in my memory since I got to serve on a gun crew all weekend - something I had never done. It was a great experience and the other guys on the crew were great to be with.

And, I have to say the event I organized for the 150th Pilot Knob in Missouri was a highlight and not because it was something I put together. The impressions were class acts and I think looked much like the boys with Sterling Price would have looked like in 1864. Camping on the ground they crossed in their approach and going up Shephard Mt. like the 14th MO did will be something I carry with me the rest of my life. That hill was a killer but I am still so grateful for those that took part in this endeavor. It made a personal dream of mine come true.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

New Market Heights in September, outside Richmond. Certainly mainstream, but I was on the breastworks when over 60 African American USCT reenactors led by white reenactor officers charged us. I was among those taken as POW's by prearrangement. It was an experience unique to my two decades of reenacting, and apparently, almost unknown in our hobby.
                      Phil McBride
                      Author:
                      Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                      Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                      Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                      Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                      Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                      Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

The Pickett's Mill downpour was my most memorable incident.

We had five guys beneath one shelter made from buttoning four halves. We didn't have enough rope to compensate for the lack of available trees. (I curse any reenactor who brings cheap TWINE for tying down shelters during wet events. It invariably breaks.) We made due with what we had. Unfortunately, there were sags in the canvas. We ended up tossing three of our gum blankets in the sagging areas to channel the water away. One gum was on the center ridge pole and the other two were on the right and left sides of the ridge.

Then we had to dig furrows to channel the water way. All I had was my hatchet. In the time it took to create a furrow twice the width of the hatchet blade and a few inches deep, the channel was full. Then I dug another furrow for the guys on the other side of the shelter. With water channeled away, we had damp, but not wet, ground.

I was soaked from the furrowing, but didn't care much because the night was warm. It was one of those times when a wool shirt really is your friend. I never used my blanket. My partner and I shared his. I kept mine in reserve in case it got unexpectedly cold. When he pulled his out, he discovered - in the dark - that one of those two inch scorpions had been tagging along in his pack throughout the day. Since it was on his side of the bed, I didn't care. I just wanted him to stop squealing, find it and kill it so I could get back to sleep. Hearing the crunching sounds from the bottom of his cup told me the deed was done.

The five of us crashed out before sundown while the storm continued to rage around us. Sounded like being in the middle of an artillery battle for hours. With all the noise and flashes of light, it wasn't really sleep. More like hibernation. Sleep for an hour, wake up, roll over and repeat. Seemed like the best way for the night to pass was sleep, so we shared blankets and made the night pass. It was probably the most sleep I have ever received at an event.

I haven't seen such a bunch of wet rats thankful that morning had finally arrived. After getting some coffee and a cracker, I was happy as a lark.

It was an experience of shared misery which made it not so bad. Glad I went. I'd do it again.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                        X