Are they still around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are they still around?

My wife was told that somewhere back in her family they are related to someone from the Civil War. He was not a General, but was someone named Abraham Lincoln. However, we have not been able to verify that so right now I just consider it a rumor.
    Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
    20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
    Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
    Army of the Potomac

Comment

Dale,

Montgomery C. Meigs IV, is a retired U.S. Army General, 4 star type. He was the Commander of U.S. Army Europe when I was there 1999-2001. Now, I know, before it starts, MG Montgomery C. Meigs, U.S. Army, lost his only son in Virginia in 1864. GEN Meigs is the GGG (one of them greats) Grand nephew of MG Meigs. The family has kept the name alive through his descendents.

Another descendent, though not from a general, is MG George S. Patton IV, U.S. Army retired. He is the son of GEN George S. Patton, who was the grandson of Colonel Patton, CSA.

Layton Pennington
      [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
      Member, Company of Military Historians
      Member, Society for Military History
      Life member, SCV
      Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
      American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

There are two twin brothers who live in southwestern Wisconsin and run a mainstream group who have told me they are direct descendents of Ely Parker. One of them looks very similar to Ely. That is as much as I know of them.
        William D. O'Malley IV

Comment

Originally posted by 26th NC View Post
          Dale,

Montgomery C. Meigs IV, is a retired U.S. Army General, 4 star type. He was the Commander of U.S. Army Europe when I was there 1999-2001. Now, I know, before it starts, MG Montgomery C. Meigs, U.S. Army, lost his only son in Virginia in 1864. GEN Meigs is the GGG (one of them greats) Grand nephew of MG Meigs. The family has kept the name alive through his descendents.

Another descendent, though not from a general, is MG George S. Patton IV, U.S. Army retired. He is the son of GEN George S. Patton, who was the grandson of Colonel Patton, CSA.

Layton Pennington
          MG George S. Patton IV passed away in 2004, but his son Ben is alive and an active filmmaker.
          Matthew Rector

Comment

My wife works at a private school in VA outside of DC where Robert E. Lee V is an instructor. He has a son also, REL VI
            Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Dusty, it is so funny a very good friend/roommate of mine in the Army, and I was speaking the other day. My friend is a decedent of John Mosby, he said he had recently met REL V for the second time at a function.

Layton/Matthew,

Please correct me, but was not his granddaughter once in the Army also?
              I love to read about General Patton. My GGUncle was LTG Troy Middleton, who was a Corp Commander under Patton, and from accounts in books on General Patton a very good friend of his. My father, a retired BG, once did a paper on his Great Uncle and quoted General Patton comparing my ancestor to Stonewall Jackson. Please do not take this a bragging, I just find it so very interesting, that my ancestor did not have the grades to get into West Point, but rose from the ranks, had to leave home to get an education past 8th grade, which my grandfather had too also, General Middleton attended Mississippi State, to whom the ROTC building is named for. Funny story, and I will let you go, my father seems to own a picture of General Patton pissing in the Rhine River.

Please allow me to tell one more family story. Before you do the math, my father who is 72 was 6 years old when his father died. My grandfather was 50 when my father was born. (We have a tradition of marring older, but to younger women...:-). My grandfather was the oldest of five boys. His second brother was a very gentle person, and my grandfather took care of him even as a child. Well this Great Uncle, the second boy, received his draft notice, he was married with one child and one on the way. This was World War One, and apparently no photo ID. My Grandfather took his Brothers Draft Notice and went to war for him. My Grandfather was in the Mule Driven Artillery. His mule was shot out from under him and his back was broken as a result. When he returned home he then had to receive medical care for sometime, thus bringing to surface the falsification of ID and documents. When the Uncle (Troy Middleton) had to step in he was PISSED. They finally got it all straight, but boys will be boys.

Thank you for the soap box, and if you don't read this I don't blame you, I never read anything over three sentences on this site...haha

Enjoyed talking to each of you.
              Last edited by Dale Beasley; 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM. Reason: being treated for tick fever, pain medicine and antibiotics are tricking me.

Comment

Dan Patterson who lives in VA and reenacts with several units is a direct descendant of Gen. James Longstreet.

Comment

When I was in the Navy there was another Chief on my ship whose last name was Gorgas. He knew he was decended from a Confederate general of the same name, but didn't know much about him. I filled him in on his ancestor, General Josiah Gorgas, Confederate chief of Ordnance.
                  Steve Blancard
                  Corporal
                  13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Working...
                  X