Civil War camp for black soldiers is new landmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War camp for black soldiers is new landmark

Camp Nelson in Jessamine County, Ky., a Union recruiting center for black troops during the Civil War, has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.

Stephen McBride is the director of interpretation and archaeology for Camp Nelson Civil War Heritage Park. He told the Lexington Herald-Leader that the designation covers the 525 acres of the park, part of Camp Nelson National Cemetery and parts of the Hall community.

McBride said the designation is the highest for a historic site that’s not a national park. Jessamine County officials want the site to become a national park, and McBride says the landmark designation is necessary to pursue that.

A bronze plaque was unveiled Jan. 4 at a ceremony to mark the landmark designation.

The camp was established by an order of President Abraham Lincoln in June 1863. It was named for Maj. Gen. William “Bull” Nelson, who started the first Union recruitment camp at Camp Dick Robinson in Garrard County.

In March 1864, when the enlistment of blacks began, Camp Nelson became an important recruiting and training center for black soldiers.

As many as 10,000 black troops trained there. Eight regiments of “U.S. Colored Troops,” as the regiments were called, were founded at Camp Nelson, and five others were stationed there, making it the third-largest such center in the nation.

It also was a supply depot and had a hospital. At its peak, Camp Nelson had 300 buildings.

- See more at: http://www.militarytrader.com/milita....V0Hk5tjJ.dpuf

While you are on the Military Trader website take a look around, they provide many articles on military history and collecting.
    Last edited by JimKindred; 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM.
    Jim Kindred

Re: Civil War camp for black soldiers is new landmark

A nice Kentucky treasure that most don't know about. I drive past it when I visit my mother. Check it out if you can.
    Ken Cornett
    MESS NO.1
    Founding Member
    OHIO
    Mason Lodge #678, PM
    Need Rules?

Comment

Re: Civil War camp for black soldiers is new landmark

Took my kids there when they were little, neat place, would love to go back. Worth the trip!
      Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
      Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
      5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Working...
      X