• Show
Clear All

• Euthanize Farbs bumper sticker

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190509_140902 - Copy (3) - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	232775

I just had these made. $12.00 total via paypal -- robertleehodge@yahoo.com . $5.00 from each sale will go to The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust's (CVBT) preservation effort at Myer's Hill -- May 14, 1864 -- part of The battle of Spotsylvania Court House, and too long forgotten about. CVBT has just acquired the 70-acre property, and now they have to pay off the debt so that they can move on to save more battlefield ground -- a race with time. BTW -- We are all farbs, some just do a better job at hiding it than others ;- )
    Robert L. Hodge

Re: Euthanize Farbs bumper sticker

That seems to be a joke in poor taste.
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Afraid I don't think much of this and hope you don't make any sells (sorry Rob). Many folks when they make the switch away from mainstream are like reformed Christians or smokers and get a bit too zealous. My epiphany was at an Franklin event where we fielded a company at an otherwise farbfest. I ran into some dismounted cav folks and had a wife tell me how she and the kids all loved coming out and it was a family pleasure, I realized what right did I have to deny these folks what they wanted to do. Put out some euthanize animal abusers stickers and I'll buy two.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

We have two cars at my house, so I'd happily pay for a pair that simply say "FARB."
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Captain Duffer,
          I am sorry you do not have the humor in regards to this. I am also sorry to have gotten your dander up – that was not my intent. Thank you for your opinion – if I was taking a poll it would, perhaps, be of use. And thank you for explaining the conversion you have witnessed and informing me about how some reenactors “see the light”. The zealots in authenticity are a historical reason I have avoided the chatrooms like this one – I have posted perhaps three times in 10 years. I can’t help but think it is really strange to “hope” there are no sales – but your feelings were hurt so I get it sorta. Perhaps you could explain more? You need to “hope” harder captain – I mailed out 13 bumper-stickers yesterday – they appear to be a hit. I agree with you, you have no right to deny folks of lesser authenticity standards what they want to do – that is why we have events with standards, to segregate, yes? Unauthentic folks are people too, many good people that I have learned from. Obviously the bumper-sticker is just a bumper-sticker. And sir, I am with you, if I was dictator animal abusers would be at the top of my list – I just saw ASPCA commercial that “ate me up”. If you make up an animal abuser bumper-sticker I will buy one and hope for big sales in your effort.
          Cheers,
          RLH
          Robert L. Hodge

Comment

I think it would be about as appropriate as my Harry Potter fan friends driving around with "Kill the Muggles" bumper stickers.
            Michael Denisovich

Comment

If you'll forgive the double post, where in the authentic lexicon does the word "euthanize" appear? Because that sends many wrong messages. For those unfamiliar with reenacting, it makes people wonder what is the bumper sticker owner's general malfunction that they want to kill "Farbs", whoever they are. Cars would definitely be keyed. For those familiar with reenacting, it just sends the message that not only are the Authentics those condescending self-righteous jackasses who appear at mainstream events unannounced and without invitation, but they also want to kill the mainstreamers. That won't win anybody over to the progressive and authentic side of this hobby, it will only alienate people. And of course, the skull and crossbones do not help at all.
              Michael Denisovich

Comment

Originally posted by RLHodge View Post
                ...Thank you for your opinion – if I was taking a poll..."
                Maybe you should have. Does CVBF know you tied their name to this particular fundraising slogan?
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Sorry again Private Hodges, I think I must have touched a nerve. If we're attacking farbs this seems to be a bit of an anachronism. In the interest of authenticity you might amend the next run to say bayonet farbs in the throat and I'll be on board.
                  John Duffer
                  Independence Mess
                  MOOCOWS
                  WIG
                  "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Mr. Denisovich.

The poor taste is debatable and relative sir. I apologize for upsetting you. I thought because this forum was about authenticity and the constant frustrating fight for it you would understand it. It is a joke. I am sorry you do not get the humor. Your posts are to me an example of the hyper-sensitivity of the world today, fueled by the internet.

I do not understand your reference to Harry Potter -- the only fiction I have read is The Killer Angels and a few others of that genre.

You asked about the origin of euthanize – you could have of course looked that up, but variations go to 1873, and more common by the 1970’s. “Farb” comes about in the early-1960’s.

The condescending self-righteous jackasses I am very familiar with. I unfortunately, at times, have been one of those people – especially when I started. I have some regrets of that, but fortunately I consciously refrained from much of that behavior later on. I have tried to nurture many that ask questions about material culture, and hopefully I am armed with a source for an answer or can refer them to others. I have tried to answer all the letters and emails, etc. kindly.

But that doesn’t change the frustrating reality of the revolving door of reenacting mediocrity – that is real, and the majority of reenactors are just that to some degree, at some point, if not continuously, depending on their ambition, which at times I have had a little.That by no means means they are bad people. If you read closely my original post perhaps you saw that I included myself in the farb category, but maybe your emotions overcame the thought process – which is not uncommon. “BTW -- We are all farbs, some just do a better job at hiding it than others ;- )” – did you understand that sentence sir? The people that really work on doing a good job, not just talk about it, at sincerely attempting to create an accurate illusion – including body weight, etc. are the people I naturally I gravitate to. It only makes sense. The decades of investment and money, with almost always something, or someone, at some point, messing up a accurate-feeling illusion created by other more authentic types is a traditional divide. In my first event I was shunned – and for good reason – I looked stupid, ignorant, and was honestly the rude one – not the guys that were really trying. I just didn’t know. But it motivated me forever. I wanted to look more like them.

I have been doing this since 1981 – I have seen the bullsh_t and we all have been part of it – and either we get honest and really try to excel, or we don’t. The person that is of the “good enough” category might be a great person, and knowledgeable of some esoteric area of the Civil War – which can be great in many areas of CW memory – but if they aren’t willing to step up and seriously get a good kit together, learn drill, and get into some soldier-life immersions on occasion, and contribute to the effort in general, then they are of a different tribe and that is alright. Some events should have hard-ass standards – I am not saying all events.

In 2000 I organized a preservation march that had 22-pages of authenticity guidelines – 300 hardcore guys came from California to Maine to Florida – and we cleared $57,000 for battlefield preservation – the hardest part was removing 4 reenactors that signed a pre-registration form stating they understood the guidelines, but when they showed up they had poor reproduction gear – and I had to stick to my guns. I did not relish it.

I wish more of the hardcore types would be kinder to reenactors. You are right, they do turn people away, and it is too common. I typed too long already. I do not have the time to spend, typing about “warm” and kind things I have done, just recently, for reenactors bullied and teased on facebook by hardcore zealots, but if you want their contacts I can give them to you.

I think it is fair to say people that truly strive for authenticity over the years get the humor, maybe not Michael Schaffner, but I don’t think he has a sense of humor anyhow – just kidding – underneath it all he must ;- )

“ . . . but they also want to kill the mainstreamers.” Not really Mr. Denisovich. Easy buddy.

I need to go sir. I have work to do.

Regards,

RLH

- - - Updated - - -

No they do not.

- - - Updated - - -

No you are mistaken captain Duffer, you got a deserved reply to a nerve I touched.
                    Robert L. Hodge

Comment

It isn't a joke, it is a death threat.
                      Michael Denisovich

Comment

Originally posted by RLHodge View Post
                        I think it is fair to say people that truly strive for authenticity over the years get the humor, maybe not Michael Schaffner, but I don’t think he has a sense of humor anyhow – just kidding – underneath it all he must ;- )
                        Of course "he must" -- I don't know how anyone can survive reenacting at any point on the spectrum of authenticity without one. But I hope the CVBF and those outside your imagined audience can indulge you in yours.
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Too much seriousness. Too many hurt feelings. Thread closed so we don't have to monitor it any longer.
                          Silas Tackitt,
                          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                          X