Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Mattered More - Gettysburg or Vicksburg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Mattered More - Gettysburg or Vicksburg?

Our social media meme about Vicksburg stirred up a discussion about Vicksburg vs. Gettysburg and which battle meant more toward the outcome of the Civil War. Since the anniversary dates overlap each other, I thought it would make an interesting poll question. So, which battle do you think mattered more, or did they have an equal impact? Vote on the poll and post your answers in this thread. Let's hear it AC Members!
    Gettysburg
    24.00%
    Vicksburg
    52.00%
    They Mattered Equally
    24.00%
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 07-02-2017, 11:37 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Which Mattered More - Gettysburg or Vicksburg?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	225382

Good question for historians, I voted Vicksburg, however, I'm sure at the time my family would have voted differently.
    Seen above my ancestor who at the age of 15, made and survived The Charge.

Comment

Vicksburg!

Hoods Texas boys had to wonder how their letters were going to get thru. The Confederacy had a huge section cut away from it'self, the Mississippi was open, with little opposition to Federal river traffic.
      Kevin Dally

Comment

I may be biased because I worked at Vicksburg for seven years, however that is my vote. Everything important about Gettysburg was the potential for what happened IF Lee had been successful. With his defeat, it is essentially a failed raid with a tremendous amount of casualties. At Vicksburg 30,000 men were captured, 60,000 small arms were captured (including 30,000 relatively new Enfields that went to the Army of the Tennessee in exchange for older smoothbores), 12% of the entire Confederacy's artillery was captured - both of which were huge material blows. You also have the Union Navy taking control of the entirety of the Mississippi River. Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas are essentially on their own for the last part of the war with the only communication being small craft.

If Grant doesn't win at Vicksburg there is a good chance that he is replaced. He had been one of Sherman's biggest supporters. If Grant is removed, who knows if Sherman retains command of the 15th Corps, much less rises to command the Army of the Tennessee, or the Western Theater. When Grant moves on to Chattanooga that fall he comes across Phil Sheridan, who he takes east with him in 64. Can you imagine what happens without Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan (all from thee Great State of Ohio I might add!) in the positions they are in in 1864 and 1865? That whole chain reaction occurs because of Grant's capture of Vicksburg.

I love visiting Gettysburg, the 7th, 8th, 55th, 107th, and 123rd Ohio Infantries each had at least a company from my home county that fought in the campaign. I love the raw emotion that you can still feel there, but to me Vicksburg is far more important to the outcome of the war.
        Last edited by jake.koch; 07-04-2017, 12:50 PM.
        Jake Koch
        The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
        https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
        -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
        -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

I think they both mattered equally in the sense that both produced outcomes that were beneficial to the Union in each theater. Neither one ended the war, but both produced either a strategic or psychological outcome (or both) that led to the end of the war. Vicksburg opened the Mississippi River and effectively split the Confederacy, which was an important strategic victory for the Union. Gettysburg saw the defeat of arguably the best army in the Confederacy, and all but ended incursions into the North (albeit the desperate raid made by Early in 1864 which ended in defeat), and was a psychological and even a great tactical victory for the Union. I think what is important is that both Union victories happened at the same time and combined, dealt a serious blow to Confederate morale and shaped the strategic picture for the rest of war. Just my two cents!
          Don Woods
          Member ABT

Comment

Gettysburg stymied an invasive thrust by Lee into enemy territory, but Vicksburg was a gut-shot into the abdomen of the Confederacy as it opened up passage via the Mississippi into the heart of the southland. Much more destructive to the Confederacy.

However, and this will make many cringe, I think that the fall of Fort Donelson in Feb of 1862 did much more than either of these two battles. When Donelson fell, three things happened: First southern capitol fell (Nashville), North gained wide open access into the south via the Mississippi from the north and an otherwise "footnote in history" by the name of Grant, skyrocketed into the stuff of legends. It was truly the beginning of the end. Of course, this was not in the poll so forgive my departure.

thanks,
            Last edited by Mark Choate; 07-04-2017, 09:17 PM.
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark, I think you make a valid point about Donelson. I haven't reread it since grad school about ten years ago, but I believe the authors of "How the North Won" made a similar argument citing many of the reasons you mentioned. I think like Vicksburg and Gettysburg being a double whammy, the capture of both Fort Donelson and New Orleans (albeit a few more months apart) had a massive effect on the course of what happened later. So much in the Rebellion occurred after that point though which makes them both unfortunately overlooked.
              Jake Koch
              The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
              https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
              -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
              -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Hello all,

In my most humble opinion, Vicksburg was by far the costlier defeat for the South, as losing control of the Mississippi River effectively cut the Confederacy in half. This, coupled with the defeat at Gettysburg the previous day, in my opinion, essentially ended the hopes of winning the war for the C.S.A. In my opinion, after that, it was only a question of when, not if, the Union would claim victory in the war.
                Robert M. Farley
                24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
                - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Comment

Bump for the 155th Anniversaries.
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

I am going to have to go with Vicksburg on this. Although I've always enjoyed studying the Gettysburg Campaign. I feel that the fall of Vicksburg was a greater achievement at the Strategic level for the North.
                    PVT Mark Cook
                    North Carolina Trooper

"Success and glory are in the advance, disaster and shame lurk in the rear".

Comment

Cranky Moderator On Dayquil has removed and buried three posts here for signature violations.

This forum values the opinions of its members. However, when members - especially new members - step up to the keyboard podium to voice opinions in this thread or any other, they must sign their posts with true name as required by forum rules. Otherwise, Cranky Moderator On Dayquil may do what Cranky Moderator On Dayquil does.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                        Cranky Moderator On Dayquil has removed and buried three posts here for signature violations.

This forum values the opinions of its members. However, when members - especially new members - step up to the keyboard podium to voice opinions in this thread or any other, they must sign their posts with true name as required by forum rules. Otherwise, Cranky Moderator On Dayquil may do what Cranky Moderator On Dayquil does.

Tres harsh Silas, just because a poster has been dead since 1899 doesn't mean his signature isn't valid.
                        John Duffer
                        Independence Mess
                        MOOCOWS
                        WIG
                        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

An army was surrendered and captured at Vicksburg and the Mississippi unvexed to the sea ( after Port Hudson of course). The result of Gettysburg was Lee never being on the offensive again. then the victor of Gettysburg captured Lee's army. Seems quite simple.
                          Dave Corbett

Comment

Thanks for sharing this useful information.Gettsburg is mattered important
                            Peter James

Comment

Working...
                            X