Exciting AC Forum Updates for 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting AC Forum Updates for 2021!

The AC is moving forward into 2021 with some exciting and extensive upgrades to the forums! Over the weekend, Brent Dacus and I installed vBulletin 5, which includes many updated features. I would like to thank Brent for all of his hard work behind the scenes. He is absolute top-notch when it comes to the technical aspects of the forum and hosts the AC server. We couldn't have done this so seamlessly without Brent's tireless efforts.

Now, as promised, here are some of the new features of the AC as we head into 2021!
    • NEW APPEARANCE - You can choose between two styles - the bold AC 2021 Style, which is the default you are looking at now, or the AC Classic Style, which is very similar to the last style you have seen here. You can change the syle of the forum at the bottom left-hand corner of the forums in a drop-down menu.
    • UPLOADING PHOTOS - I know this has been a big one here for years. The old system was a three or four step process. Now, you will be able to add photos to your post much like you do on social media. With one click of the button, it will go to your hard drive. Select, and load onto the AC. Finally! Right?
    • SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATION - You can now register and log-in through Facebook. You will also see Facebook and Twitter icons in posts. (Look to the left of this post). This will allow you to share any post straight to your personal feed in either platform.
    • MOBILE FRIENDLY - When you access the AC from your mobile phone, it will now be condensed in a mobile-friendly format with EBUFU events popping up first and highlights from the main forums after that. This is condensed version of the FRONT PAGE. If you are on a desktop, the front page and forum format will look very similar to what you are already used to now.
    • EVENTS, EVENTS, EVENTS - The EBUFU Event Schedule can be found front-and-center on the front page of the forums and comes up first when you access the site on mobile. The event schedule can also be found at the bottom of the forums and inside the EBUFU Event Folder. We have archived 2020 (Thank God) and now have 2021, 2022 and 2023 Event Folders so we can continue looking three years ahead. If you have an event that you want listed here, please contact me at etinohio@msn.com and we can discuss the requirements for listing events at the AC.
    • STREAMLINED - We have eliminated the old links pages which were not being utilized. Authentic Units, AC Approved Vendors and Authenticity Articles can now be found at the top of their respective forums for easy access.
    • SEARCH FUNCTION - Yes, the famous search function is still there. Not only that, the search speed is improved and the capabilities have been upgraded. It is located in the top right of the forums in the image header. Have you used the search function yet?
    • SPEED - With the latest software, the forum runs faster now than it ever has before.
    • SECURITY - The new sotware has all of the anti-spam security features built into the system We no longer have to add additional modules.
    There are many other small changes in the forums, but for you, it will operate in much the same way. This is the most comrehensive change we have made in over a decade and we hope you enjoy and appreciate the effort we are putting in to keeping the AC viable, relevant and on par with current technology. Thank You for Supporting the AC!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 12-13-2020, 05:49 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

He is absolute top-notch when it comes to the technical aspects of the forum and hosts the AC server. We couldn't have done this so seamlessly without Brent's tireless efforts.
    Eric Tipton Thanks as always my friend. Go get some sleep...
    Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
    The Company of Military Historians
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Lovin' it!!!
      Ken Cornett
      MESS NO.1
      Founding Member
      OHIO
      Mason Lodge #678, PM
      Need Rules?

Comment

There was a link at the top of the page that provided a list of new posts/threads since the user last visited the forum. Is that permanently gone? It was quite useful for finding out what has been posted within a 24-hour period.
        Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
        Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post
          There was a link at the top of the page that provided a list of new posts/threads since the user last visited the forum. Is that permanently gone? It was quite useful for finding out what has been posted within a 24-hour period.
          Michael, there is a “New Topics” tab at the top that shows recent posts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	67EE86C2-1C8A-45CC-B186-42F89457EBFF.jpeg
Views:	511
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	279289

ERIC TIPTON
          Former AC Owner

Comment

... And wow it was much easier to upload that screenshot!
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Great job!
              Stephen Pavey
              "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post

Michael, there is a “New Topics” tab at the top that shows recent posts.

Name:	67EE86C2-1C8A-45CC-B186-42F89457EBFF.jpeg
Views:	511
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	279289
                I have managed to see that button just once, but it does not linger at the top. It disappeared after I clicked on it and then clicked on a link.

The 'Who's Online' button does not appear at all.
                Michael Denisovich

Comment

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post

I have managed to see that button just once, but it does not linger at the top. It disappeared after I clicked on it and then clicked on a link.

The 'Who's Online' button does not appear at all.
                  It appears to be on the forums page, but not on the front page. We will check into it.
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post

It appears to be on the forums page, but not on the front page. We will check into it.
                    This is what I am seeing:

Name:	In Article.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	279298

Name:	In Forusm.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	279299
                    Michael Denisovich

Comment

NMVolunteer
                      The home page doesn't have sub navigation it is just a homepage. Look on the forum now and tell me if you see the sub navigation. Also make sure you all clear out your cookies.
                      Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
                      The Company of Military Historians
                      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Thanks Brent & Eric for the hard work, and Eric for taking on this huge task of taking on this site years ago.

Well my old signature is gone, gotta find the setting to restore it.

Mike Barnes
                        Last edited by mike44thva; 12-14-2020, 06:33 PM. Reason: Signature
                        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
                        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Dacus View Post
                          NMVolunteer
                          The home page doesn't have sub navigation it is just a homepage. Look on the forum now and tell me if you see the sub navigation. Also make sure you all clear out your cookies.
                          I didn't clear out cookies, but it appeared between this morning and now, so I assume you did something to fix it. And the 'Today's Posts' thing too! It is looking good.
                          Michael Denisovich

Comment

This is great, thank you
                            Pvt. Brandon Wheelz
                            Ford Independent Company,
                            2nd Colorado Volunteers.

Comment

I don't see a way to reply to a private message. Got one from Brent but don't seem to be able to get back with him. Am I missing something?
                              Michael Comer
                              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                              X