Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Comrades:

In a make up to one bomb of a farb bashing thread. I would like to
    hear your proactive ideas on "how" to improve the hobby and/or how we can
    motivate the "team" toward better authenticity and historical accuracy.

Your ideas can be quotes, past experiences, practical ideas, anectdotes, philosophical testimony, personal beliefs or anything, so long as it's positive and pushes us toward a working model for success. You can't use any previously posted AC material, (i.e. Campaigner Manifesto).

1st define the goal for success: What constitutes a successful and rewarding hobby? What would we consider as "excellence in" our efforts? How can we fuse those two goals together?

Avoid the long worded stuff, we never read them anyways :D . We need some good vitamin M and a shot in the arm.

I have a few quotes from a certain SC coach that could apply to us.

"In the successful organization, no detail is too small to escape close attention."

"I never learn anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions."

"If you're bored with life -- you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things -- you don't have enough goals."

""Success is a fleeting thing. Nobody’s successful all the time, but nobody fails all the time either. [People must] give everything that they have of their talents and their abilities to a certain cause and pursue that cause through to ultimate achievement."

"Build your empire on the firm foundation of the fundamentals."

"Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated."

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

- Lou Holtz.

I would define a successful hobby as one that:

1. Would move forward and adapts.

2. Encourages cooperation and is dedicated toward team goals vs. individual glory.

Rewards:

1. We contribute to the overall body of ACW knowledge. We preserve.

2. We recreate history with dignity and honor.

3. We earn the respect of the public, scholars and colleagues.

4. We have fun.

This isn't a debate, it's a brain storming session so post without fear.

Greg Deese
    Motivational Mess
    First person should be what happens spontaneously at an event (Eastern)
    4.81%
    First person should be what happens spontaneously at an event (Western)
    7.22%
    First person should be spontaneous, but an extremely detailed background should be created for my character and I should be entirely aware of the (equally) detailed backgrounds of those who I will be interacting with on a regular basis (i.e. family members) (Eastern)
    11.68%
    First person should be spontaneous, but an extremely detailed background should be created for my character and I should be entirely aware of the (equally) detailed backgrounds of those who I will be interacting with on a regular basis (i.e. family members) (Western)
    12.71%
    First person is comprised of not speaking in modern terms (Eastern)
    4.47%
    First person is comprised of not speaking in modern terms (Western)
    4.81%
    First person is what happened to you yesterday, today, and what's going to happen to you in the immediate future. I need to know a decent outline of my background and of those around me, but I don't need to write a novel. (Eastern)
    20.96%
    First person is what happened to you yesterday, today, and what's going to happen to you in the immediate future. I need to know a decent outline of my background and of those around me, but I don't need to write a novel. (Western)
    22.68%
    First person? It's stagey, fakey, and I hate it. Why on earth are you asking me this question?? First person isn't waxing poetic about my girl back home. (Eastern)
    5.84%
    First person? It's stagey, fakey, and I hate it. Why on earth are you asking me this question?? First person isn't waxing poetic about my girl back home. (Western)
    4.81%
    Last edited by SCTiger; 01-06-2004, 02:46 PM.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Well Mr Deese, I don't really think it is possible to get most of the people in this hobby headed in the right direction. Just like in the everyday world. the greatest majority of people are satisfied with mediocrity. You will always have the few that seek to be the best, and some that will gravitate towards the opposite end of the spectrum. About the only thing that we can do would be for us to organize and establish organizations that literally out perform all others in all aspects. Even then the converts will not be a flood, but a mere trickle.

Comment

Greg:

This is a re-hash of my answer to the same question over on the N/SA forum:

"Improving authenticity starts with one reenactor at a time. The secret is that you, yourself have got to realize that:

1) Something is wrong; and
      2) You want to change it.

The step is to actually do something about it, and take action to fix the stuff you want to change. Decide what return or benefit that you want to get from your participation in the hobby, and then start working to fulfill that goal. If all you want to do is go to the local Rebfests, shoot at Yankees, and hang out with the guys in your local unit, then no, swapping your Fall Creek jacket for a Becky Nall original is probably not cost-effective.

If, however, you want to play the hobby at a higher level, then you will need to get the appropriate tools and toys to do so, as well as change your behavior to meet what's expected to play in the bigger leagues. You can't play softball or minor-league ball with a T-Ball bat or under the T-Ball rules.

It means that you will often have to strike off on your own and start going to events where the rest of your old buddies won't go. You may have to fall in with a bunch of strangers, but by Sunday afternoon you'll probably have a batch of new buddies and be looking forward to the next get-together.

If upgrading your gear is what you need to do to play the hobby at the level you want to play, then yeah... it's definitely worth it. If it doesn't, and the rest of your home unit is happy with the Fall Creek or pre-90s homemade status quo, and they like things just the way they are, then the $195 for a hardkewl jacket would buy a whole lot of beer or ironmongery... with maybe a little left over to make a cover for your cooler.

It’s not just gear, either… it’s the whole method of trying to recreate military activity of the time. We are strongly wedded to setting up camp, then marching forth as set times to offer battle to the Yankees (much like the Philistines and the Children of Israel in the Old Testament) rather than maintaining a 24-hour operation of grand guards and outposts between the rival armies, and then working the flow of the event from that point forward. Attitude and method are every bit as important as the gear.

YOU have to want to change, and decide to make that change happen.

Now, when you try to expand that change to an entire company , much less a battalion, things multiply exponentially, because while you can directly influence your own impression, group dynamics in a company or battalion make it exponentially harder to reach any sort of consensus. Collectively, the whole group has to come to the epiphany that Something Is Wrong, and collectively, they all have want to change. Everyone needs to buy in on the idea, and unit leaders have to set the example by making their own impression as impeccable as their budget will allow, and holding all the rest of the fellows in the unit to the agreed standard. It means being serious about inspections in ranks, and being tough, but equally fair, to everyone.

Some of the stuff this sort of leader will be called on to do will not be popular. I manned an inspection station at an authentic event earlier this fall when a cavalryman passed through, and we required him to remove his spare revolver cylinders (4 @) and return them to his truck. You’d have thought, from his reaction, that we’d told him he’d have to cut his weezer off and leave it behind as well.

Setting the example extends past the company captains and lieutenants to the battalion colonels and majors, all the way up to the brigade and Division generals. They set the example for us all. If it’s a campaign event and the troops are sleeping on the ground, it won’t hurt them to live off their saddle, either. History is rife with stories of Stonewall Jackson and W.T. Sherman sleeping in fence corners along the route of march when the army was on the move.

If the officers and NCOs in a unit aren’t setting the example that the Brigade or Division has set out for the unit, how in the world can you expect the privates to do so?

Much of what is deemed as "missionary work" falls on stony ground as the parable goes. "Civil War reenacting" is a number of radically different "mental pictures" and sometimes competing and incompatable activities.

The N/SA and the 1CD set out some basic guidelines at the February 2003 meeting, but the new standards on the web site are substantially different. There is difficulty getting folks to come out to Alliance events if they are likely to be pushed out of their personal comfort zones, so tents, and lots of them, will apparently now be the normal mode of camping. Reenactment events are moved to a different season in hope of better weather (e.g., Wilson’s Creek, Murfreesboro and Franklin). Over the past four years or so the Alliance has become very complacent and comfortable in positioning itself as a mainstream group, and that appears to be the definite trend from this point forward. Leaders are looking for numbers, so that is the apparent priority, at least at this point in time. The Division may try to get back to its roots, but probably only after the Folks In Charge are much more comfortable about the numbers end of the business.

If you’re not happy with the way the TVB is using the time that you devote to the hobby, you might look around and try an event or two with a unit that holds itself out as offering something closer to what you’ve decided you want to do. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, you know. There isn’t a whole heck of a lot of difference between the way the TVB does business and the way the TMVI, the Elk River Bn, the First Confederate Legion, or even the Federal Frontier Brigade does business… only a few different personalities here and there. But you’ll only know if you try it out.

However, people interested in personal knowledge, skill, growth, evolution and moving further along on their journey toward the historical emulation/understanding horizon tend to seek you out. Always remember to share, and always make them welcome. Save your time, effort, energy, and money for building and growing on the solid ground of like-minded individuals who not only think like you do in your "mental picture" of what you see yourself doing and where you see yourself fitting; but, also those who are able to challenge you, mentor you, question and debate you, and learn and grow with you – with all of you sharing and contributing to mutual growth, understanding, and evolution in the hobby."

Please forgive the warmed-over advice. They didn't like it over at the N/SA place, either ;-)

Tom
      Tom Ezell

Comment

After my first season in the hobby, I've realized or confirmed a few things (pardon the appearance of triteness but I liked Greg's suggestion of keeping it simple):

The fun is in the striving...

You shouldn't go to Burger King expecting filet mignon...

Likewise, don't go to Tavern on the Green looking for McNuggets...

Live and let live...

The smaller the stakes, the more vicious the politics...

If you have something nice to say then say it...

Nobody minds constructive criticism when coupled with tact...

Not everyone is trying to get the same thing out of the hobby as I am...

And that's okay...

This forum (and its posters) has been and continues to be a huge help to me. My interest in this period of our nation's history has grown tenfold in the short time I've been involved in the hobby and as a result, I have learned much. I recognize that I've only scratched the surface and look forward to continuing having fun in the striving...

With much thanks,
        Michael P. Jolin

Comment

My humble opinion is this, after 2 years of being a streamer and finally seeing the light, I came to the conclusion that if it is not in the heart and soul of someone to strive for greater authenticity, then nothing you or I could say to another person will persuade them. I am moving towards more authenticity because it is what I want, not because I was persuaded by someone else(although reading the posts on this board were a great help in finally deciding to take the plunge). I think being a flaming farb is kinda like being an alchoholic, admitting there is a problem to yourself is the first step to recovery.(no offence to any recovering alcholoics out there).
          Mark Robeson
          Mark Robeson

Comment

Here's a classic quote:

"History learned through knowledge shared"
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
            Cincinnati

Comment

Fellows:

Well let's leave the Herculean effort of "conversion" out of the equation for a second. How do we energize and motivate each other amongst the c/p crowd?

I am trying to foster a new direction that will re-energize folks, encourage them to attend events and return to the comraderie. Good people are attracted to positive groups. I think everthing is already in place, we just have to market ourselves as a group of dedicated historians that are adaptable, mature, creative, highly educated, personable and hard working. We have to make the grass as green as possible, if we want to attract the caliber of folks we want.

We can't make every reenactor a first class campaigner. We need to retain our quality folks and improve our realtionships. All the talk over the shrinking hobby, farb bashing, ego clashing and in-fighting has to cease.

Try this. We have a number of quality events on the calendar this year. If you attend any c/p/LH events that are up to standard, then make sure to communicate your satisfaction and describe how excellent it was to others. A "you-should-have-been there" talk. If you were extremely pleased then give an accurate description on other forums, talk about it at other mainstream events, call your old "pards" up and tell them about it. If they like what they hear, give an invite and advice on "how to" make the standards for the next event.

If we have any problems or "issues" we need to do this in-house and within the parties concerned also called the "chain of concern". Airing our dirty laundry hasn't won us many fans. Open warfare between units and personalities creates a "poisoned environment" that no one wants to enter.

Instead of harping about how "bad" the next megafest is, let's concentrate on how great our last EBUFU was. Let them know.

With any event I attend this year I can guarantee three principles:

1. If I am pleased with the event, there will be lots of open praise and good "word of mouth."

2. If I am not happy, I will talk directly with the parties concerned.
              I won't trash the whole event, the c/p wing, and the hard work of others.

3. I won't trash mainstream events, people or units. I will "spread the gospel" and illuminate our efforts at every opportunity.

It could be that I won't "convert" anyone. I will insure our integrity, remain loyal and I won't shoot my own foot off.

It won't work overnight, but it will eventually.
              Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

"[QUOTE=SCTiger]Fellows:
                Try this. We have a number of quality events on the calendar this year. If you attend any c/p/LH events that are up to standard, then make sure to communicate your satisfaction and describe how excellent it was to others. A "you-should-have-been there" talk. If you were extremely pleased then give an accurate description on other forums, talk about it at other mainstream events, call your old "pards" up and tell them about it. If they like what they hear, give an invite and advice on "how to" make the standards for the next event."

Regards,

I think this idea is right on the money. We can't coerce people into improving but we can encourage them with peer pressure. Will it get everyone? Absolutely not! Will it be quick and easy? Absolutely not! But it will work over time.

As an example just take a look at the growth of this forum and the number of posters that contiues to grow. If you look also at the "other forum" you see many of the posts are headed down the right direction, despite a healthy sprinkling of farbs.

The issue reminds me of the growth and development of "streamer" reenacting in the 125th series. Then you had all sorts of loose end organizations and units that came together to form larger battalion organizations. The majority of units came around and joined those organazations, and the ones that didn't were eventually marginalized and fell to the wayside. In our current situation I feel like there is a steady but slow movement toward more authenticity. It gradually grows and improves and more events are heading that way. In time there will still be farby events, but with good peer pressure there will be more better events/reenactors and the farbs will be left by the wayside...kinda like Darwin's idea.

Keep up the good press, keep a positive attitude and keep spreading the word to your pards what ever side of the hobby they're on.

Take care,
                Tom Craig
                Tom Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig
                  If you look also at the "other forum" you see many of the posts are headed down the right direction, despite a healthy sprinkling of farbs.
                  In time there will still be farby events, but with good peer pressure there will be more better events/reenactors and the farbs will be left by the wayside...kinda like Darwin's idea.
                  Tom Craig
                  With due respect for Mr. Craig's opinion, I worry that a blurring of definition may be in the offing here.

I do not know how deepset this sentiment goes within the p/h/a community, but it seems that some folks may be equating the concepts of "mainstream" and "farby". As with all such terminology, one person's idea may not match that of another.

I can in no way be considered a c/h/a'er: My son and I just started reenacting this past September. In purchasing our equipment, we were not so much concerned with exact replica down to the number of strands in each thread, etc., but with buying items which would give us a reasonable impression of Union soldiers. We were totally unfamiliar (but not for long) with the terms farby, mainstreamer, hardcore, stitch-nazi, etc. The unit we joined is the most local we could find in order to maximize interaction with the others involved there and to allow for other life pursuits that get in the way of reenacting (work, school, church; you know, all those other minor things :)). And we joined to have fun at something together.

I do not consider my unit as farby. I have yet to see a single polyester sackcoat or pair of wingtip brogans. No one I've met there yet is interested only in "killing some d**ned Rebs or seeing who can blast out the most black powder per event. I have yet to hear one comment about those miserable hardcores trying to force their will on other poor soldiers. When someone sees equipment that looks better (as in more accurate) than what he has, discussion is held on why it is moreso and where it can be procured. If they can afford it, they may go and buy it, but there is no coersion to do so.

We are definitely a mainstream outfit. Some in A-tents, some in dogtents. An occasional bottle of inauthentic Jack Daniels has been known to make its presence felt around the campfire. But to equate these people as farbs would be, to my opinion, a grave injustice to them and to the hobby. The two terms are not the same, anymore that an accusation that all p/h/c's are stitch-nazi's and control freaks. It just ain't so in either direction.

We are most of us trying to advance the accuracy of our impressions. But to imply that not going on to becoming a campaigner is to be a fallen angel and doomed to everlasting fire and torment seems to me unfortunate. Some desire to take their impression as far as it can be taken. My applause are loud for you, and I may one day join you among those ranks. But some do not seek to reach that point, and I am content that they do well and accomplish good with where they reach.

I aim none of these observations at Mr. Craig, nor any other individual. I speak to a perception that I find unsettling for me within the hobby. I find no reason why we cannot all meet on the same hallowed ground at the same event and experience it as fully as we desire.

In humility,
                  Bernard Biederman
                  30th OVI
                  Co. B
                  Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                  Outpost III

Comment

Bernard:

I don't think anyone is down on mainstream events, we would like some of the dedicated and knowledgeable reenactors to take a walk on the campaign side.
                    I never believed that all mainstreamers were farbs. :) 95 percent of the people on this forum started out with mainstream events.

I belong to a mainstream infantry unit and one authentic mess. I am just advocating inclusion. One advantage I do see with belonging to the C/P/LH side is being invited to different places, such as State and National battlefield presentations, privately owned or preserved battlefields and ACW museums.

In 2003 I garrisoned at three forts, fought on two privately owned farms that were pristine and about 98 % clutter free and participated in living history's at two national battlefields and one museum. A good venue can really boost your spirit and put you in the right mood. Now many of these folks have specific standards before you can represent them, so we all have to make adjustments.

I am not downgrading any mainstream event, but it's a good change up to escape the clutter and modern distractions. I feel that many dedicated mainstreamers could "grow" in such an environment. When the modern stuff can't be avoided, a living history at a museum or battlefield park is a good change of pace from the mainstream routine. The standards are meant to make the experience more realistic and historically correct, not to exclude any particular group or reenactment stlye.

Many of the mainstream organizations are starting to recognize this need and are sponsoring events that are oriented toward living history and campaigners.

Most mainstreamers enjoy authentic settings and most that I have talked to would like less non-period stuff around their camps, to include vehicles, PA systems, food vendors, etc. When they complain about 2000 porta potties near their camp, too many cars or a helicopter hovering overhead, this is when I would make a pitch and "sell" a good Ebufu event. "At TAG in 2003 we fought in a pristine Tennessee valley and there wasn't even a power pole around." If he/she is interested and would like to try it out, I would continue on and then explain on how the upgrade could be made for the same price he paid for his Sutler row gear or how he could attain used gear. Then insist that he can still use the new authentic gear for his traditional events (what a great change that would be!) It's win/win. No negative vibes at all from this wing. We aren't trying to "steal" anyone away from the mainstream.

If they are worrried about any jerks or stitch counters, just inform them that we are still looking for the "perfect" reenactor but, we haven't found that person yet. There are just as many malcontents and butt holes in the mainsteream as there are in the c/p/h. We just have butt holes with museum grade equipment. :D I wouldn't let any particular jerk keep me from enjoying an excellent part of the hobby.;

I am off to Las Vegas for 7 days, see you in Alabama next week if your attending Fort Gaines.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!
                    Last edited by SCTiger; 01-07-2004, 11:35 PM.
                    Gregory Deese

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger
                      Fellows:

3. I won't trash mainstream events, people or units. I will "spread the gospel" and illuminate our efforts at every opportunity.
                      Greg you hit here why i am even in this hobby and the authentic wing at all on the head right there! I am a believer in if you attend an event you know fully what you are getting into and to come to a forum to bash the event you choose to attend you are being a very immature person. Also if it wasn't for an authentic at a mainstream national event laying next to me in the field chatting with me and inviting me over to their camp afterwards. I would not be talking on this forum right now.

Mitch Critel
                      Mitchell L Critel
                      Wide Awake Groupie
                      Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

One can always fall back to the age-old statement of "If you're gonna do it, do it right." But frankly, I think its been over used (especially in this situation). To tell you the truth, I am very contrary to alot of you who state that it is infact impossible to drag others into the authentic movement. That's just downright incorrect.

There's alot of things you have to consider when approaching a mainstreamer about the entire situation. First of all, you have to use a friendly attitude, and don't even try anything if you haven't known the guy for at least a few days. Just walking up to a random reenactor and telling him what he needs to do to improve his impression (it doesn't matter in what kind manner you do it in) will probably piss him off royally (wouldn't it you?).

I like to look at it like this ...

"Reenacting" is supposed to be the re-creation on every level of a historical event. Be it a scene on "Unsolved Mysteries", or the 140th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. It should be done to the fullest extent of authenticity capable by the producer, simply because why should one even do it if the goal isn't to give a realistic idea of what the event was really like to the public? I fail to understand alot of mainstreamer mentality, but I'll save that for another thread.
                        [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
                        [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
                        [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
                        [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                        [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                        [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                        [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                        [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
                        [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
                        [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

1. If I am pleased with the event, there will be lots of open praise and good "word of mouth."

2. If I am not happy, I will talk directly with the parties concerned.
                          I won't trash the whole event, the c/p wing, and the hard work of others.

If I am a potential, future attendee I want to hear the facts about an event, not be fed sugar.

I want to hear about all the good things about the event.

I want to hear about all the bad things about the event.

Let others learn from your experience.

If you attended and want to criticize, I want to hear it all, not just the good.

And about #3, well we all know what was said.
                          Bo Carlson

[i][b]At the dawn of the 21st century the human species does appear to be in a rapid state of de-evolution. The time for personal salvation is now, while the people terrorize each other like warring insects, all the while crying out for global change and healing. Can we as a species hope to achieve something as grandiose as constructing a Heaven on Earth, when our very souls are rotten and empty?[/b][/i]

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Devil
                            If I am a potential, future attendee I want to hear the facts about an event, not be fed sugar.

I want to hear about all the good things about the event.
                            I want to hear about all the bad things about the event.

Let others learn from your experience.

If you attended and want to criticize, I want to hear it all, not just the good.
                            Bo:

I agree and the key word is objectivity. I've said it's like a reporter attending an event and writing down the facts. The hard part is getting people to be objective when they put it in writing - especially about the bad parts of an event. The word of mouth previously mentioned in the thread is pretty powerful if it is apparent that the person stuck with the facts. If many AAR's or Evaluations are written about an event, it is easier to get the objective story, because certain themes will repeat themselves over and over if something went wrong and the same goes for the good parts of the event.

My two cents on encouraging people to go to more authentic events is that encouragement is all anyone can do. No one will attend more authentic events or upgrade their gear until they decide to do it for themselves. In some cases, it seems that the more pressure that is applied, the more the person will resist. It's like the salesman who tries to be too pushy...bound to turn the prospect off.
                            ERIC TIPTON
                            Former AC Owner

Comment

lead By Example

Comment

Working...
                              X