Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thin Red Line

Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Heath,

Thanks for taking the time to help me with my question. I've ordered two books through interlibrary loan on Canadian & Brit accroutrements through the mid-nineteenth century, so maybe they will shed some light on this cover. I heard last summer the owner of Thin Red Line had passed away but I'm going to contact them anyway and see what they say.

Tim Ruyle

Comment

• Re: English Mess Tin Covers

"I've ordered two books through interlibrary loan..."

GOD BLESS YOU!

:)
      John Stillwagon

Comment

Joe, How was the quality of the mess kit covers?
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

Scott,
          The cover I talked about was not from TRL, so...
          Drop me an email or call me as this will delve into my business and should not be posted here.
          Thanks!
          Joe
          Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Here is a sketch from

Weapons & Equipments of the Victorian Solder
            by Donald Featherstone p. 112

Should give you an idea of placement, straps for carriage, etc.
            Attached Files
            Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
            – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Ryan,

I wonder how many of those English Mess tins have been recovered by relic hunters? Do we know how many were imported?

John Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by GBaylor
                Ryan,

I wonder how many of those English Mess tins have been recovered by relic hunters? Do we know how many were imported?

John Sweeney

Not sure as numbers imported, numbers domestically produced, etc. etc.

I know there is one English Mess tin that is in the MoC, which I believe is pictured in the Confederate Coloring Book (CS EoG).
                Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                – George Washington , 1789

Comment

In the book Firepower From Abroad by Wiley Sword, p. 62-14 cases, p.63-10 cases,p-64 2 cases of mess tins as being shipped to the south. Now, how many per case? Regarding dug examples, as a relic hunter of 15 years, I have seen none personally dug or at the shows. Maybe Jim Mayo will pick up on this thread as he is a real old time relic hunter.I think he started hunting in May of 1865 :tounge_sm
                  Last edited by Richmond Depot; 04-11-2004, 07:10 PM.
                  Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                  PO BOX 4849
                  Midlothian, VA 23112
                  www.richmonddepot.com
                  (804)305-2968

Comment

• How many will attend the 140th's events?

Pards, I was talking to a guy in my unit last night about how many campaigners are going to attend the 140th anniversity events this season. I was wondering how many of you are going to these events? The reason I am wondering is of all the money generated by these massive events, where does it go? Just wondering what your input is on this. I hope this is the right forum. Cpl Dan Morgan, 10th VA(IVR)

Comment

• Re: How many will attend the 140th's events?

Dan,

Generally not the type of question that we want here on the forum as many of the anniversary events are generally not known for their historic portrayal of the advertised events and generally are what we call "mega-events".

But, if you give me a list of the anniversary events you are talking about, I will try to shed some light on your question.

Fellow moderators, I will be watching this thread closely. I feel the poster deserves an answer but I don't want everyone chiming in on this one.

Dan, in the meantime, I suggest you check out Mr. Szabo's forum and look for discussions on the events you are talking about. You may find your answers there. www.cwreenactors.com
                      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Dan,
                        In my first years in the hobby I was conditioned to to look forward to these anniversary events because they tend to draw large numbers. I will admit I have attended a fair amount of these events in the past. I have decided to avoid doing these events at all costs due to the lack of protocol and authenticity. I am so tired of re-enacting the 135th battle of so and so when in actuality all you are really re-enacting is a generic battle and might I add poorly. I also don't agree with the inordinate amount of money that spectators get charged to view these mock battles. I am not sure where the money goes, but there is sure alot of it! I can only hope it goes to a good cause. I believe that you get much more out of EFUBU events, where the focus is on experiencing actual conditons and soldier life rather than putting on a family show. In my opinion more harm than good is being done at these events in the education department. Which bothers me because one of the reasons I joined this hobby is to educate the public which can be achieved while putting forth an accurate portrayal. Moderators please feel free to delete this post altogether if you think it is in poor taste, I do not intend this to be flame bait I'm just stating my opinion as Dan has asked.
                        Pierre King
                        27th Conn.
                        1st Minnesota

Comment

Define what you mean by "140th anniversary event". Do you mean mega-events, or any event dedicated to the 140th anniverary of some Civil War-related happening?

For instance, I attended a 140th anniv winter quarters event in February. I plan to attend the 140th anniv of Pickett's Mill, but not the 140th anniv of New Market. I plan to attend a 140th anniv LH for the Overland Campaign, but not the 140th anniv of Spotsylvania "large event", or even a local-yokel event being held near where I live in June that allegedly portrays part of Spotsylvania. I may attend the 140th Franklin/Nashville mega-event, but that's not set at this time. I do plan to attend a regional event in my area in July that plans to portary the 140th anniv of Opequon Creek/3rd Winchester, but the extent to which the event will even faintly resemble that campaign is pretty dubious.

There's loads of 140th anniv events. Better specify which type you mean.

Comment

Taken at face value, I think the normal intrepretation would mean large events, mega events.....whatever. Kind of like the Antietam event that so many campaigner's justified in attending?
                            [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Nor'easter
                              Taken at face value, I think the normal intrepretation would mean large events, mega events.....whatever. Kind of like the Antietam event that so many campaigner's justified in attending?
                              Well I am new here, but with all those people at the so called "mega-event" wouldn't those large events be a great opportunity to show other people what your unit is all about, win some people over maybe, and get in some drill and campaign time. Perhaps a chance to try things out and experiment? There is something to be said for re-enactors to assemble and share a common passion in their own ways, keep the hobby in the public eye so that it continues to grow?

Thomas, since you are new, please check the archives to see how this has been discussed, on this and other fora, to death. This is one of the hottest, most disputed topics in the hobby, missionary work/mentoring/apprentices. I don't want to discuss it again here. - Mike Chapman

I will close this thread today unless the original poster gives me some actual events to discuss. MC
                              Last edited by dusty27; 04-15-2004, 07:21 AM.
                              I am, etc.
                              Thomas Gingras
                              Awkward Squad Mess
                              Columbia Rifles
                              Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Comrades, To the moderators, I hope I did not over step my bounds with this thread. I am refering to the mega-events such as New Market, Franklin, etc... I understand that this is a touchy subject. I was wondering what my fellow pards thought of these events. I bring this up, because my unit is shying away from these events. I'm not refering to the authenticity of these events, I believe that is a given. I am refering to where the money generated by thousands of "reneenactors" goes to? Again, This is a question to know what you think of these mainstream "mega-events"? Is this good exposure for us to get out there? Is the money going towards preservation? Cpl Dan Morgan, 10th VA (IVR)

Comment

Working...
                                X