Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you motivate others or improve the hobby?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Does being a modern Joe make you better at your impression?

Brett,
    Brian has me pegged. I am the Director of Training at the Artillery School, Ft. Sill. Appreciate the comments in the thread, but would like to echo that I'm just glad they let me fall in with them. It is actually nice just to be in the ranks and a common soldier for a hobby.
    Always love to talk. Another hard one for me to not slip up on is about face, it is very easy to just do it the modern way! As to how to get over those instinct things that have been "drilled" in to you, all I can tell you is that I have to actually think, and practice, practice, practice. The good news is, I don't fall in to many formations in my real job anymore, so I have less opportunity to get confused when I've been concentrating on the hobby!
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Frank,
      Thanks for the contribution and for your work educating the King of Battle.

Brett "Homer" Keen
      Chicago
      [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Hey Frank,

Fire for effect...

Comment

Dale,
          Shot, over... but it looks like my mission time stinks, I need to monitor the net closer.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Campaigne Reenacting

I was just curious. When did campaigne/authentic reenacting start to take effect. What I mean is when did this start? I know reenacting back in the 60's and 70's wasn't all correct. So who where the first real campaigners. I know many strived for authenticity but who started the first hardcore company? Just thought It might be a fun discussion.
            [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
            [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
            [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
            [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
            [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

• Re: Campaigne Reenacting

Ah Avery,

Excellent question - and one whose answers I think you'll find right here

Happy Reading.
              Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
              [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

This is great information. I do our Museum gun crew here at Fort Sill with a fellow who began re-enacting as a young man as a Centennial Re-enactor. I have heard some "hair raising" stories about how bad many of those impressions were. We joked about how Audie Murphy in "Red Badge of Courage" needed technical advisors with 1870-1880 headgear with crossed rifles brass, Spanish-American War canteens and haversacks, and best of all, Trap-doors where they pulled the cleaning rod out to ram rounds. I have to say the worst thing I've seen from the 60's is the film at the Visitor Center at Shiloh. There is nothing authentic in it, and there are even guys with M1's in there. Needless to say, things have improved tremendously.
                Frank Siltman
                24th Mo Vol Inf
                Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Comment

True; however, I had the opportunity to speak at length with Mr. Kimmel last year about his experiences - very interesting stuff. Ross and comrades were members of an organization that really tried to "do it right". There are a couple of films put out by the VA centenial commission that are better, by today's standards, than some of the shlock that made its way into video during the 125th or 130th.
                  Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
                  [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Avery,

I think I know what you mean, and I think Garrett has given you the answer, but you might be better off describing what it is you're asking about in plain language rather than using words like "campaign," which come with their own baggage. The biggest problems: labels like "campaigner" and "authentic" and "hardcore" tend to be self-applied and/or appropriated for or against those with a particular philosophical agenda.

I think you want to know "when did people try to reconstruct as much of the soldier's experience as possible, as accurately as they could, in order to try to experience it themselves?" That would easily include Ross Kimmel and the fellows like him from that time, who tried to do what they could with the information and material available to them. We have so much more available to us now, in so many ways. And yet the more we have and the more we know, the more we see stretching ahead of us yet to master. And now the Museum of the Confederacy has received tens of thousands of documents relating to government purchases of arms and equipment, so much it will take years just to sort it and catalog it; who knows what we'll learn? So we're all in the same boat as Ross Kimmel; we are trying to do what we can with the information available, but we know we're probably going to find out, in the next few years, that some of what we're doing now in good faith is wrong. And we'll learn other things that will probably surprise us.
                    Bill Watson
                    Stroudsburg

Comment

Thanks for posting that article Mr. Silliman. It would be in all our interests to re-read that article every few years. Ross is a great guy and like you, just talking to Ross is really great.

To my knowledge John Griffiths of the 1st PA Reserves has probably been in the hobby the longest. He also ran with Ross' crew back in the 60s-70s, but he was at the Centennial of John Brown's Raid and he slept on the ground there without a blanket or ground cloth. That was 48 years ago in 1959. I just saw John the other day and he still carries a musket and still sleeping on the ground.
                      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Not to hijack, but go under SINKS and look at the photos I posted under WHO ARE THESE FELLOWS.
                        I believe they are 1970's Mudsills, and a close examination of the photos do at least show the beginnings of a thrust towards Campaigne.
                        Steve Sullivan
                        ex-33rd WI, but never a Mudsill, drat!

Comment

When I started back in '79 my group the Richmond Grays was primarily made up by guys who started out with the old 1st Md. Among the ranks were Dave Jurgella, John Griffiths,Mike Vice, Lynn Bull and several others. Being involved in what we were doing back then, at age 12, for me was a huge rush....even though things have changed for the better regarding uniforms,equipment and events, I have never been able to equal that rush. I guess, it was the people that I was exposed to who were so freely willing to help me learn.

If I can find them, I will try and dig out some old pics and post them.
                          Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                          PO BOX 4849
                          Midlothian, VA 23112
                          www.richmonddepot.com
                          (804)305-2968

Comment

Scott,

While looking for the photos, see if you can dig up and post a roster of Co. G, 12th Virginia, from about that time. It reads like a Who's Who of the hobby, and a good number of those names are easy to recognize even today.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The 12th Va, 2nd Maryland, and the 20th Tenn on the CS side- Marching and camping with guys like Less Jensen, Dave Jurg., Charles Childs, Dennis Ream, Anthony Hoghes, Gordon Jones, Bob Parkerand many more that took the time to listen to me asking so many questions was a real treat back in the 125th days. The "jean machine" was realing starting to get going in 86. Men in the Confederate Guard, Cleburnes, and the Mudsills in the West were before that, breaking the mould and leading the way. That "in the park" event at Gburg in 88 seams to the genesis of a lot of it.

Joe Walker

old 20th Tenn member

Comment

I can pull that right off of the top my head....or my hair

Dick Cheatham
                                Lynn Bull
                                Willie Balderson
                                Tom Hay
                                Mark Greenough
                                Scott Hanes
                                Lindsay Gray
                                Mike Vice
                                Dave Jurgella
                                Jim Loba
                                Phil Cavenaugh
                                Bob Toncray
                                Randy Wiley
                                Ed Sanders
                                Charlie Richardson
                                Wes Stone
                                Peter Kingsley
                                Robin Reed

Co. G 12th Va. Richmond Grays CA:1979-1986. The group came together from volunteers and paid staff who met at Ft. Harrison while portraying Co. D, 98th New York.

I started in the mainstream with the old Mahone's Brigade out of Tidewater in about '79 or so and by '80-'81 had found these guys whoe were local to me. Our Federal alter ego was Co. F 20th Maine.

Best,
                                Last edited by Richmond Depot; 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM.
                                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                                PO BOX 4849
                                Midlothian, VA 23112
                                www.richmonddepot.com
                                (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
                                X