Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathryn Coombs-former Civilian Forum Moderator

Dear Members of the Authentic-Campaigner,

Many of you may remember in one phase of this forum that Kathryn Coombs was a moderator for the civilian forum.

This is hard to write because Kathryn was a dear friend and mentor for me. However, her time has come to an end. She died in the evening of January 16, 2011 after a battle with cancer.

For those who know Kathryn, they will recall the memories of fun, puns, jokes, and her undying devotion to trying to get portrayals of the past correct down to the very glasses one drinks from. Her love of antiques she told me started when she was a child when she would hide away things members of her family would throw out in her closet.

On this forum and other listservs and forums, when moderator and when she was not, she shared images from her collection, photographs of ceramics and furnishings she owned. More than once she threw open the doors to her private, pre-Civil War house to members of our own organization (the Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society) but also to groups in North Carolina and to others who were just starting to reenact. She outfitted people with her own extra clothes and money. And indeed I can say she has helped finance a conference trip when I was in college.

I need not sing her praises I guess in any more depth than to say: Kathryn was not only MY friend (and a friend of many people on this forum) but she was a friend to history and to this forum's moderation.
    Last edited by Emmanuel Dabney; 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Re: Kathryn Coombs-former Civilian Forum Moderator

Ugh. That news hits like a punch in the chest. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Em.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Truly hate to hear this. A very sad loss. I never had the honor of meeting Ms. Coombs, but messaged back and forth some and was always very pleasant and happy.
      [B]Justin Morris[/B]
      [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
      "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

That hurts. I am very sorry to hear this.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Kathryn was one of the very, very few people who could still talk me into a commissioned project... I am better for having known her, and will miss knowing she's just an email away. She was the primary citizen moderator when I came on board, and taught me so much!
          Regards,
          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

That is very sad news indeed. May she rest in peace.
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

She was always so very entertaining on the filmsets she worked on and at the events she attended. What a huge loss for our community in knowledge, experience and energy! May she be at peace now among friends on the other side.
              Cheers,
              [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Sorry to hear- God bless.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Though I didn't see her much in the past couple of years, she regularly popped a "hello" of some sort to me on Facebook. Good-bye Kathryn, we'll all miss you, and we'll remember you.
                  Gerald Todd
                  1st Maine Cavalry
                  Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Terrible news for all of us - while she hadn't been active around here for quite awhile - we still stayed in touch periodically. I'll miss Kathryn - she was a terrific lady and her death represents an incredible loss to living historians and historic filmmakers.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I am so sadded to hear of Kathryn's passing. She was indeed a wonderful person and in past years we had some very good first person discussions and was a joy to have at events.
                      Marc Riddell
                      1st Minnesota Co D
                      2nd USSS Company C
                      Potomac Legion

Comment

Lots of fond memories from events and film shoots alike. Will never forget the road trip to Hudson, NY for "The Homestead Strike" or working wardrobe with her for "Christmas and the Civil War." She really reminded me of a Lucille Ball in her later years type, between the infamous voice and the quirky sense of humor. One of the funniest film outtakes I've ever seen involves the 369th Infantry hunkering down under fire, until the camera catches a glimpse of Kathryn walking BobDog along the top of the trench. I hope she's reunited with her parents -- and BobDog -- and is having a swell time with Mosby.
                        Marc A. Hermann
                        Liberty Rifles.
                        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

This is sad news indeed. What a lose to our community and the world. She will be sorely missed.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

This is tremendously sad and difficult news. I had lost touch with Kathryn over the past couple of years, but will enjoy the many memories that I had with her at events and film sets. She was a truly kind and caring person with a rare, genuine passion for history. Her passing is a terrible loss to the hobby and all who had the privilege of knowing her – She will be missed.
                            [B]Jon Knight[/B]
                            [I]Independent Campaigner[/I]

Comment

I've been away from the AC for a week or so,...and am so sorry to hear of Kathryn's passing. I met her many years ago when I worked with
                              her on wardrobe in a film project. She was great to work with..and had a wealth of knowledge. She will be missed, God keep her!
                              Vivian Murphy

Comment

Working...
                              X