Hank Trent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hank Trent

Although I did not know Hank well personally, I certainly met him many times in the field. I have never seen a person so dedicated to keeping a first person persona at an event. He was one-of-a-kind, talented, eccentric and created some truly memorable moments for all of us who encountered him.

There are three events I remember him from the most. There were many more, but I will always think of him when it comes to War on the James in 2003, Marmaduke's Raid in 2013 and especially the Immortal 600 in 2007.

Immortal 600 was one of the top immersion events I ever attended. We occupied Fort Pulaski for the weekend and as Federals, guarded our Confederate comrades as prisoners. Hank played a Confederate prisoner and as a testament to his dedication, he lost weight for the event and as a part of the scenario, "died". He was placed in a coffin and taken out of the fort. This is the photo that was used for our announcement and both are posted here as well.

While it might seem morbid to post this here, if you knew the kind of dedication that Hank brought to each role, you probably know that he would appreciate the gesture. At least I hope so.

I haven't seen Hank since he portrayed a civilian at Marmaduke's in 2013. As usual, he played his role to the hilt. While on a patrol, we found him hiding in a field.

I find myself today remembering all of the times I saw him at events. I had wondered recently why we hadn't heard from him as he always seemed to pop up in conversations, especially when it came to first person and civilian topics.

We will truly miss you Hank. Linda, please know if you are reading this that he made an impact on what we do and he truly was one-of-a-kind.

Rest in Peace Hank. See you in living history Valhalla.

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 02-19-2017, 05:17 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

Hank portrayed his living history roles as if he was a combination of Civil War History PhD and Hollywood level actor. He was very good and will be missed.
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

This is sad. Hank truly excelled at immersion reenacting. That excellence must have derived from the dedication and many hours of research he put forth in portraying such a wide diversity of characters. I’m sure many would agree it was amazing and perhaps, for some, intimidating to see or engage with him at events. He got you closer to being back in the 19th century. I’m glad I had the privilege to participate with Hank on some creative civilian immersion events. I hadn’t seen him in years, but he certainly left me with some great reenacting memories. My sincere condolences to his family.
        Last edited by Matthew.Rector; 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM.
        Matthew Rector

Comment

This is a sad shock. He, like so many others here, were such role models when I first came into the hobby. I never met him or even communicated with him, but he always had something valuable to say, and said it without having to make anyone feel smaller. May he rest in peace, and may his family find comfort.
          Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

I only had the pleasure of Meeting Hank a handful of times, but he was a bastion of knowledge, and a top drawer fellow both online and in person. He will be missed greatly.
            Tyler Gibson
            The Independent Rifles

Comment

Our sincere condolences, Linda.

I remember Hank before there was a Mr. and Mrs. Trent when he used to come around and do a contract surgeon with our medical unit. But, my favourite memory was probably Shaker Village about 1998 or 1999. We had slept out by the campfire after we learned our tent hadn't made the trip with someone else. Hank and Linda came walking up that morning and asked to share our fire. We had a MOST enjoyable breakfast chatting away. From his slight smile, I could tell he was truly enjoying kindred spirits and such a simple visit.

Rest in peace, Hank.
              Duchess Martin,
              U.S. Sanitary Commission,
              Columbus, O. Branch.

Comment

I only spent one weekend immersed with Hank, but the interactions I had with Governor Henry Sibley that blustery April 1861 at Fort Snelling were nothing short of magical. We chatted for an hour one evening about how on earth we had gotten to Civil War, and what it meant, how it might affect the frontier. The hobby has lost a very bright light.

Jim Moffet
                Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-09-2017, 11:55 AM. Reason: signature needed

Comment

Hank was the most intense practitioner of first person I've ever met. Whatever year it was supposed to be, it followed him around like an aura and sucked you in if you came anywhere in reach. That wasn't always comfortable for most people. It was never comfortable for some. But he was at the pinnacle of people who make this weird pass-time of ours more of a time machine than a hobby. And if he was going to an event, you knew that at least part of it would be worth the trip. I'm going to miss him, but even more I'm going to miss knowing he's out there.
                  Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I have never met him in person, only through various posts on this forum and in circles of this hobby. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Sincerely,
                    Robert Wallace
                    Robert F. Wallace
                    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

There are so many great Hank Trent stories and moments. The bean soup and their dogs, Hank wandering in the Wilderness for days with Amos of the Rowdy Pards at Bummers, him and Linda as civilians at the great "War on the James." My favorite encounter with Hank was at a small Recon event outside Washington that had little to recommend it other than the moment when Hank sold me a piece of the rope used to hang John Brown. Hank could pull off just about any firper situation, and truly did intimidate most reenactors I know. It's very sad to lose him so young, and I hope that his lovely wife will know of the good thoughts all of us are sending her way. Hank (and Linda) was about the best there is in this hobby. My son, Peter, remembers him fondly, too, and we both had a moment of sadness when I told him about Hank dying. The hobby will continue to evolve, but it will never be the same without the two of them making reenacting better and more accurate.
                      Bill Cross
                      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

My Hank story is from "War on the James," at which Hank was portraying a civilian and I was among the Federal troops on picket in the area. We had orders to secure a road, while Hank played the role of a local who needed to get back to town for business purposes. It was a simple scenario, yet his first-person was remarkable. No "unhand me, you dastardly Yankee..." crap, and no "dude, you totally gotta lemme go" stuff. It was, there are no other ways to describe it, legitimate. I found it incredibly easy to interact with him. He ended up getting the best of us, for as we searched his pockets for contraband, he had stashed a map of the Federal position in his boot. His true intentions were discovered, resulting in one of our patrol being "shot" by him. I ended up detaining him and several other civilians, one of whom called out "his weapon isn't loaded!" Hank took off running down the road, but to his misfortune, I was loaded yet not capped. I shouted at him to stop as I capped my piece, and fired. He dropped. We made a point of carrying our wounded comrade past his body to show that we had avenged him. Hank, meanwhile, though it was still light out on a Saturday afternoon, remained "dead" until dark, at which time he quietly got up and went to his car for the duration. As he explained later, he had been killed. There was simply no "respawning."

I had a great deal of respect and admiration for him, and will miss his contributions to living history.
                        Marc A. Hermann
                        Liberty Rifles.
                        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I no longer remember my log in for the AC, but this is Linda.

Thank you for so many wonderful memories. Ya' all made me laugh. Thank you also for the condolences. We just celebrated 25 years of marriage -- I love him, I'll miss him, but so far I'm doing okay.
                          Hank Trent

Comment

Linda-

Lard on toast is a perfectly acceptable substitute for butter in 1863 Westville... You and Hank know about that. ;)
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

There's little I can add that others haven't said already. I recall searching Hank for weapons behind a cabin at TAG and being rough enough that a lesser man might have balked. He was obviously an expert on material culture of the period and I always took anything he posted as gospel. My kitty Isabella gave birth to a one kitten litter last night. I don't know sex yet but male or female the kitten is named Hank.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG
                              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Best first person I have ever encountered...at McDowell back in 99. He played it so well - Virginia gentlemen (and spy) defending the honor of ladies smuggling items to the rebels, that he lifted everyone else in the scenario up. I was the federal commander and thanks to Hank, if was really 1862. God bless his memory and his family.
                                Soli Deo Gloria
                                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                                X