Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

I was just forwarded an E-mail from Gary Byrd of the 20th SC this message:

Gentlemen-

I have just been informed a few minutes ago by Lee Cannaday, that our friend and fellow 20th member, David Culbertson is dead. He apparently died suddenly yesterday. All details are not clear at this point. I will forward you details as they are confirmed by me.

Please say a prayer for David and his family. We will all miss him.

Gary Byrd
    20th SCVI
    Claude Sinclair
    Palmetto Battalion

Re: Death of David Culbertson

Are you talking about THIS David Culberson?

John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

Duke?

Curt
      Shocked and Saddened
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Comrades,

Yes, that David Culberson. It is a sad state of affairs indeed.

I had spoken to him just a couple weeks back. For several years, we have maintained a sort of "cultural exchange". I'd send him native foods and items from Maine, and he'd send me locally made mustard-based barbecue sauce, and other delectibles from his area.

This is really sad.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Re: Death of David "Duke" Culberson

I spoke with Duke at length just a few months ago - we talked for a good hour. He talked a lot about shifting his focus from his hobby to his family and spending more quality time on the things that mattered most. We put a lot of old silliness behind us on that phonecall.

I was looking forward to seeing David sometime soon at an event and reconnecting with him again.

This is a heartbreaker. I'll pray for his family.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

My prayers go out to Duke's family! I am also saddened by this. I met him once in-person at the 2002 Gettysburg LH. It rained like hell and we all ended up at the Lincoln Diner. Had a great time.

What Paul alluded to, illustrates a fantastic point that we MUST all keep in mind on these and other fora:
            If any of us who frequent this "place" were to meet any other of us outside of "here", and discovered our common interest in the ACW, would we not quickly become fast friends? Why then, do we allow this silly electronic medium to interfere in what would otherwise be great friendships with fellow enthusiasts? I speak not as a person who is above such things, but as one who has made this mistake myself.

Take the discussions here with a grain of salt, but take the people seriously. On days like today, we see what really matters.

God Bless You All!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

This really saddens me, I had the pleasure of serving with and under Duke at a number of events in the late 90s, culminating in the Hodge Preservation March in 2000. I know David had his moments, I always said that the internet would make a monster out of him, but all I can say is that all of the events I attended with him were good times and on the Hodge march he looked after his company and did a great job as our Captain. Heres to you David, May you rest in peace.

Lee
              Lee White
              Researcher and Historian
              "Delenda Est Carthago"
              "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

For ceremonial events, my son wears a federal blouse modified by Duke and bought some years ago on this forum.
                Didn't get a chance to meet him. Guess it underlines how important it is to appreciate each day and every comrade.
                Regards,
                Paul Hadley
                Paul Hadley

Comment

Worked with Duke at Outpost 2000, really enjoyed it. He 'walked' up the hills to his company bivouac with long strides, his upper thighs pounding out the steps.....couldn't keep up with him.

Last couple of years he's called me on occassion to discuss reenacting and bugling...he was even thinking of taking up the bugle.....

RIP Duke, our prayers go out to you and your family.
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Duke and I worked together at McDowell. One year I commanded the federals and he was a company commander (1999) and then the next time he commanded and I was his second (2003) so we got to know each rather well. It was a great experience for me both times. We talked off and on until about 2 years ago when it seemed he got out of the hobby and I lost track. He cared very deeply for the hobby and many of its people...and was one of those most affected by the schisms on the hobby internet.

I do know that in the field he looked you in the eye, knew his stuff and his integrity was absolute. And he was always willing to help others - saw it happen a lot. The last thing he told me was his druthers that his last gig be a long Sherman's March or Lee's Final Retreat type marching event that lasted a week...and then he would hang it up. Makes me sad he passed just before that happened.

That is who I will remember and he will be missed. Prayers for his family.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Last seen Duke in Cheraw, SC, looking spiffy as usual and carrying a flintlock, at times he had one of the best impressions out there and he didn't mind sharing information.

My heart felt sympathy to his family, he took a lot of grief from the hobby at times, but he never quit.
                      Gregory Deese
                      Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                      "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

You never know when you'll get the call from the nameless one. Godspeed to you Mr. Culberson.
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                        Past President Potomac Legion
                        Long time member Columbia Rifles
                        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Up until he passed away he was planning on doing the A.P. Hill March and September Storm.

Claude Sinclair
                          Claude Sinclair
                          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

I'm still stunned over the news and deeply saddned to learn of his untimely death.

I consider Duke to be one of my closest friends in the hobby. He was a true gentleman and had a magnificent person.

I never received anything but kindness and respect from him, and will miss his sense of humor - whether via Instant Message, the occasional phone call, or in person.

I first met him at South Mountain back in 1998 when I was invited to join an "ad hoc" CS group headed by Jefferson "Raspy" Weaver. Duke introduced himself and gave me one of his cards with his e-mail and contact information. That, unknowingly to the two of us, was the start of a great friendship as we traded e-mails and instant messages.

I had the pleasure of serving under his command for the first time at the Sayler's Creek event in 1999, and in a closer capacity in his company at Pickett's Mill in 2002. He had asked me to serve as a corporal in his company and where I doubted I could do the task, he reassured me of his confidence in me and put me at ease. One of the best moments at that event came on Sunday morning when Mr. Cross the Younger woke up and asked where breakfast was. Duke launched into one of the funniest routines I've had the pleasure of hearing. Those of you there remember it.

Sadly, the final time we met face to face was at the McDowell event in 2003, where I had the honor and pleasure to be asked to serve as an Aide de Camp. A fond memory of that event was the Saturday afternoon sitting inside the officer's tent, Duke on one cot and Doug Cooper on the other. In his joking way, he asked for a bedtime story. Within minutes, he later said, the soothing sound of my voice droning on put him to sleep. I think the story gave Doug nightmares...

We corresponded after that, sharing stories of new hobby endeavors and family news, and the occasional phone call. No matter how bad of a day I was having, he always got me to laugh and I'd feel better.

I didn't intend for this to be a eulogy of sorts, but I guess it has worked out like that and is carthartic for me as well.

I shall truely miss you, my friend. Rest in peace and I'll look forward to sharing a spot by the campfire down the road.

Jay
                            Jay White

Comment

God bless you, Duke.

David had a way about him. He also had two personalities - one that needled, cajoled and just plain made you angry on these forums - most of that 4-5-6 years back. Then there was the "Duke" that you met in person - couldn't be a nicer guy with a wealth of information that he was always ready and willing to share.

Duke came over and walked Pickett's Mill with some of us before the first big Pickett's Mill event (o2? 03?). He humped those hills with the best of 'em.

We talked a lot a few years ago when he was considering doing a cav impression. He bought a bunch of great gear, changed his mind and sold lots of it to me.

I'll miss Duke...the hobby will miss him too.
                              Mike Ventura
                              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
                              X