Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death of David "Duke" Culberson

David sent me an email at 11:55 a.m. yesterday telling me how he could not make the upcoming march due to work constraints. I have to say that it was eerie and saddening to me to find out that he passed away just yesterday afternoon. You just never know. Here are the details about the arrangements for those who are interested.

His visitation will be at his home at 1563 Beach Creek
    Road Lexington, SC 29072 from the hours of 6-8 p.m on Wednesday August 29th.
    A memorial service will be held for him at St. Stephen's Lutheran Church at
    119 N Church St Lexington, SC 29072 at 11 a.m. His body will be at Thompson
    Funeral Home in Lexington, SC (803-996-1023).

Bruce Blackmon

Comment

Thanks for the information, Bruce.

Sadly, I won't be able to pay my respects in person, but at least would like to send his family a card.

j
      Jay White

Comment

I am truly saddened to hear of Duke's passing. I have many fond memories with him re-enacting. I will miss his wit and wisdom.

1st Corinthians 15:51-58

Mark Berrier
        North State Rifles

combinations@northstate.net
        Mark Berrier

Comment

Death of David "Duke" Culberson

Dang. He was a complex guy. I am one of the few who can say I never had a disagreement with him. I think it was lawyer to lawyer thing.

I served as his adjutant at the 2000 Saylor's Creek march. That was the one where we started with 150 or so guys on a beautiful Saturday morning before the weather turned that afternoon and evening. Only thirty or so of us answered the roll the next morning.

Last time I saw him was on Lookout Mountain in 2003. He did many logistics for us. Had his likeness taken on the famous ledge. Wore a nice civilian frock and top hat. He had the Chattanooga in the background. He was trying to portray a veteran returning to Lookout. That was different. He was having a problem with vertigo. I kept waiting to see him lose his balance and tumble down the mountain.

Was looking forward to crossing his path again.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Here's Duke's obit from The State newspaper in Columbia, SC:

David A. Culberson
            LEXINGTON — Services for David A. Culberson, 53, of Lexington, will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, August 30, 2007, at St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church. Officiating will be Rev. Pat Riddle and Rev. Dr. Dennis Bolton. Private burial services will be conducted at a later time. The Family will receive friends from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday evening at the family home located at 1563 Beechcreek Road, Lexington, SC. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, P.O. Box 5216, Glen Allen, VA 23058. Pallbearers will be Ronnie Saleeby, David Hare, Lee Canaday, Jerry Johnson, Boyce Jennings, Tim Driggers, and Rick Cunningham. His brother, James M. Culberson, will be an Honorary Pallbearer. Thompson Funeral Home of Lexington is handling arrangements.
            Edward Watson
            Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
            You can never do more,
            You should never wish to do less."
            -Robert E. Lee

Comment

Does anyone know how he died? Was he in an accident? I don't mean to be morbid, but I am really taken aback by this.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I havent heard any details yet, other than he was in the midst of moving in to a new place and had really worn himself down.

Lee
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

What Paul alluded to, illustrates a fantastic point that we MUST all keep in mind on these and other fora:
                  If any of us who frequent this "place" were to meet any other of us outside of "here", and discovered our common interest in the ACW, would we not quickly become fast friends? Why then, do we allow this silly electronic medium to interfere in what would otherwise be great friendships with fellow enthusiasts? I speak not as a person who is above such things, but as one who has made this mistake myself.

Take the discussions here with a grain of salt, but take the people seriously. On days like today, we see what really matters.

God Bless You All!
                  Amen. The most important lesson that can be learned is don't ever miss an opportunity to say "I love you" to a friend.

And friend, I mean it.

Scott Bumpus
                  Last edited by paulcalloway; 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Re: Rest In Peace: David "Duke" Culberson (1954-2007)

Truly one of the most extraordinary personalities in reenacting. The hobby will certainly have a different atmosphere without him.

Comment

Indeed a sad notice. I first met Duke many years ago at Cedar Creek when we did one of the first all night picketts. I was his first sgt and we all had a great time. That set the stage for many of us with more authentic style of events. I was also on his staff at McDowell one year and had many many great conversations with him in person and via e-mail.

I am truly sorry to hear of his death and send prayers for him and his family and friends. There is now another vacant chair.
                      Marc Riddell
                      1st Minnesota Co D
                      2nd USSS Company C
                      Potomac Legion

Comment

Duke had an idea I've tried to embrace: It's all about the experience, not anything else. That's why he was happy to be a leader if that's what was needed, and just as happy to be a civilian troublemaker or rear rank two the next time out. Every variation offered a new experience with its own set of challenges and rewards, and every time out of a new box he'd try to nail whatever it was he'd chosen for an impression. He set a standard for enthusiasm and performance most of us can only try to match.
                        Bill Watson
                        Stroudsburg

Comment

I'll never forget the sight of the cookfire and the sound of Duke's voice as we stumbled our way in the darkness at Lookout Mountain in 2003. We about ran him over instead of advancing the countersign so we could get at the hot coffee...I had the opportunity to serve with him at Bentonville, Sailors Creek, Gettysburg, Harrison's Landing, and Lookout Mountain. I've got a group image from Harrison's Landing with musician Don Hubbard and Duke Culberson who are both now with God and had hearts of gold despite what was said or done on an internet forum.

Regards,
                          Mark Susnis
                          Mark Susnis
                          Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Susnis View Post
                            I've got a group image from Harrison's Landing with musician Don Hubbard and Duke Culberson who are both now with God and had hearts of gold despite what was said or done on an internet forum.

Regards,
                            Mark Susnis
                            Mark,

That picture of us together as the staff is one of my favorites (looks right out of a history book) and it is hard to believe that two have departed from that hot, but good event.
                            Marc Riddell
                            1st Minnesota Co D
                            2nd USSS Company C
                            Potomac Legion

Comment

"Authenticity is a gift we give each other."
                              -- Duke

Those of us who read his posts on line, or had opportuntieis to spend time with him in person have priceless memories.

Karin Timour
                              Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                              Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

I just wanted to say David has been a good friend of mine since 1989. his passing will be greatly felt by all. I just got home from the visitation and i want everyone to know the family thanks you for the many kind and sincere condolences. the memorial service is in the morning at 11 am i hope everyone takes a minute to remember david at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X