Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest in Peace: Jim Lammers (19?? - 2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rest in Peace: Jim Lammers (19?? - 2008)

I'm very saddened by the news. The Lammers were always at one of our small Michigan events-often the only sutler there. I always made a point of buying things from him, even when I really didn't need another. As has been said,they were always cheerful and friendly. More and more people were starting to realize the quality of his gear-I'll miss seeing him very much.

Doug Price

Comment

This is truly sad. I will treasure the items he made for me. Let's remember to keep Linda in our prayer.
      Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
      Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
      Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

I did read that Cedar Creek will stay open in his memory.It will be ran by Linda and his daughter.
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861 View Post
          I did read that Cedar Creek will stay open in his memory.It will be ran by Linda and his daughter.
          That is good news indeed. Linda and Jim worked very hard to build that business. Granted manyof their items may not be to the authenticity level many here would expect, it was much better than what most of the folks on sutler row sell. I look forward to seeing her again soon and will be pained to not see Jim there working on a pair of shoes or belt or ...... :(
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

I hope to see them at one of our Michigan events. Your right about not seeing Jim sitting there working on leather gear.
            Frank Perkin

Comment

Jim Lammers was a really nice guy, i bought a pair of buckle shoes off of him a few years back. I called him on the phone to see if he had a pair and he said not to worry he would make me a pair in time for the event i was attending. He was a great guy, both him and his wife. He would chat to you all day just like he knew you your whole life. It won't be the same without looking over in the corner of his tent, hobnailing some shoes, or other leather work. Him and his family will be remembered in my prayers.
              F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

Moved post on Lammers Memorial Fund to its own thread.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 02-09-2008, 11:59 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hmm, that really sinks! I used to love stopping by and saying hi to him and his wife. They were the highest quality of people. A number of years ago, I kept trying to get him to reproduce cavalry boots, since I loved doing business with him. He and his wife started calling be Boots since I would whisper "boots" whenever I passed his tent. It was kind of comical. Since I moved back to Wisconsin, it has been awhile since I have seen the two. I suppose that I will never see him again in this life, and that just saddens me. My most humble sympathies to his family.
                  - David Cortez
                  Independent

"The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters."
                  - Genghis Khan

Comment

I was present in the bustling metropolis of Morristown, TN for the funeral service last evening, which was very well attended. Despite the fact that the Lammers had the large chapel which seats over 100, well wishers were spilling out the door into the lobby for the funeral service. I was able to learn a few points of interest. First, Linda Lammers and the four adult kids will continue operating Cedar Creek Supply Depot as an internet business, but do not plan on attending events. This would not affect anyone here as the only events Cedar Creek Supply Depot attended were larger mainstream events or gun shows for the most part. Point being, you can still order online from www.cedarcreeksupplydepot.com, if that is how you made your purchases before.

Additionally, since several of the kids (3 daughters, 1 son) helped Jim produce his leather goods, these will continue to be available. Specifically the well made brogans for which he was best known. I have a pair myself and they are quite decent. The only possible exception with regard to his leather goods might be some of the cartridge boxes, the secrets for the sewing of which Jim took with him to the sweet bye and bye. Jim Lammers was 61 years old when he passed away.
                    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM.
                    Craig L Barry
                    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Craig, I'm really glad you got to go, as even up to the last minute I was trying to figure out a way to get up there myself from Central Florida and my old sled of a ride wasn't up to the challenge. It really bothered me that I couldn't go, but I'm sure there were enough of Jim's good friends and extended family to share my sentiments and prayers. Thanks for the continued reports and updates.
                      Ross L. Lamoreaux
                      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I sat in Jim's shop at his house just a few weeks ago as I was purchasing some buttons and replacement straps for an old knapsack that I had decided to bring out of retirement. We discussed the different items used for blanket straps (suspenders, old slings, etc). I complemented Jim (as I always do) on my brogans that he made...they seem to be everlasting....not different from their maker. We discussed that unfortunately when you make a good product your customers do not need to replace them. Jim was a wonderful guy and will be deeply missed!
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Jim Lammers will long rest in my memories for his kindness and friendship from years past. About 20 years ago, he made me a gift of one of his Federal knapsacks with only the comment of: "Just tell 'em where you got it". I hope his family is well and I will miss him...
                          Jim Schwass

5th Ky. Inf Co. B., 1st Illinois Artillery, Cheney's Battery F., {Retired}

Comment

Working...
                          X