This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sad News

I never met Mr. Heath (but I did read his posts here), but wish to express my sincere condolences to his wife and family. God Bless Them all.
    Regards,
    Scott Dallimore
    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
    -------------------------------------

Comment

I've spent the past few days going through some of Charles' old posts, but there's one in particular I have not been able to locate. Back in the day after Rich Mountain, Charles was giving it pretty good to a few of the guys who complained about having to dump their knapsacks before the trek up the mountain.

I know him and Mike Schaffner used to get into it pretty intensely, with Charles labeling him "cupcake" and the like. I'll give it to Mike though, he didn't back down. This in itself was pretty brave, knowing the rapier-like wit Charles possessed in internet battles. Seriously, it was like dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight.

Anyhow, Pvt Schnapps had started a thread either here or over there regarding the quality and importance of company and battalion paperwork, to which Charles answered back with perhaps the funniest post on a discussion forum I'd ever read in my life. That had to be some of the wildest crap I'd ever read. No pun intended. If anyone could scrounge that post out of the archives I'd pay to read it.

Rock on Chawls.

Mike Phineas
      Arlington, TX
      Mike Phineas
      Arlington, TX
      24th Missouri Infantry
      Independent Volunteer Battalion
      www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Re: Sad News (Military thread)

Like many on this thread I knew Charles from several events and on the forums here. He was always a champion of the EBUFU concept and attending history heavy events which we always agreed upon. Charles was wild with emotions at times and quite helpful at others. He got me on the OTB forum with an invite to jump in on the great sack coat debate of a few years ago knowing that the OTB really was not my type of gig. He knew several of the players on that discussion and figured I would enjoy it.

I was looking forward to checking in with him at Gettysburg NMP this upcoming August with the 1st Texas LH and our rare Carpe Eventum Iron Brigade LH at the park. I think we will miss his knowledge, perhaps not always his commentary depending whom you are, but I have a deep respect for what he did in this hobby, preservation efforts, and the lives he touched while sharing his knowledge.

I will always be fond of his three meat stew concoction at Shiloh in 07 that had a life of its own. He will be missed!

My prayers are with his family and friends.

Tom
        Tom Klas
        Hard Head Mess
        Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by Strawfoot View Post
          If anyone could scrounge that post out of the archives I'd pay to read it.

Rock on Chawls.

Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          See Mike, that's the thing. This comes under the heading of "Things Learned Along The Way " . Read a whole bunch of stuff looking for something, find something else valuable that you weren't looking for, and didn't know you needed it until you found it.

But you already know this lesson--because you do research.

I imagine there will be a good bit of filtering back through that massive archive in the coming months............

Weary to the bone, a thousand miles behind us, piled up in a motel in Hagarstown,
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Never really met up with Charles in person but 'enjoyed' the Internet banter. He knew I was an Illinois CW junkie and would bird-dog stuff he'd come across or send folks my direction. And he held my tootsies to the fire a few times and posted 'where is Skulkerjohn' more than once. I have to give him props for making the long haul to the Midwest (over the scary river) especially to Athens, Missouri. I was heading to the 'Portal of Hell' event when my car broke down at St. Louis. I was amused when I found this, not too far from Athens...

I saw the announcement post early on but was pretty stunned into disbelief. And I still am.

Prayers going out to Bev.

:(
            Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM.
            John Pillers
            Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

I'd like to remember the Charles Heath of the '90's (when he would come by and do random "collarding" of my house) and we were getting the Rowdy Pards organized rather than the OTB 2000's version Of "Chawls". My mileage varied up until about 2000 at Five Forks....

I remember Jekyll and choose to forget Hyde. I hope he peacefully crossed the river and rests under the shade of the trees along with Duke.

Don Harrelson

D Harrelson

Comment

Originally posted by D Harrelson View Post
                I hope he peacefully crossed the river and rests under the shade of the trees along with Duke.
                He's probably arguing with Duke right now. Either way, it's going to be quieter here.

I'll never forget how the name "Rowdy Pards" was created, one of my fond memories of Messrs. Heath & Murley.
                Last edited by Gallinipper; 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM.
                Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

I'd like to remember the Charles Heath of the '90's (when he would come by and do random "collarding" of my house)
                  That was always a sight to see. Getting off the school bus several times to see him sitting on the front porch with grocery bags of collards. Those were some damn good greens.
                  Sam Harrelson
                  Liberty Rifles
                  Independent Volunteers
                  Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

I met Charles at Marmaduke's Raid last year, and am glad to have met the legend, and eat out of his pots. I ate the beans, and his coffee was strong and hot, but the chicken stew/soup/concoction kinda scared me a little. We shared a nip to help make the entertainment more entertaining that Saturday night, and I truly enjoyed his company.

He liked to bark, and grouse and generally try to be a mean old cook that weekend, but he was not a hard taskmaster, and it was just his way. I liked him, and wished I had had more time with him.

Best wishes to Charles' family and friends. He will be missed.
                    Ron Mueller
                    Illinois
                    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I recently found out about Charles Heath's passing and I'm saddened by the news. I was deployed to Afghanistan for most of this year and I'm now slowly catching up the goings-on in the hobby.

I first met Charles in 2001 when a few of us in northern Virginia attempted to form a more progressive-leaning unit and we sought out Charles as our mentor. Charles was like a father-figure for us as we tried to get organized. I'll never forget attending the Burkettsville event in September 2001 (the weekend before 9/11) -- one of my all-time favorite events -- and it was because of Charles's assistance that made that event happen for us. I also remember doing a winter drill event on Charles's farm in Maryland in January 2002 -- sleeping outside in 25 degree weather -- spooning by the fire, trying to stay warm. Charles also led our little unit at a Pamplin Park event in June 2002, during which we portrayed CS engineers, building gabions and rifle pits all weekend. He looked every inch the grizzled soldier. I remember seeing Charles at many event since then, including the CR's living history at Chatham Mansion at Fredericksburg in July 2004. Charles was the company cook for this event and he made sure the boys were well fed all weekend. I won't soon forget his lemonade on that hot July 4th weekend. He was always concerned for the common soldier and was not afraid of speaking his mind to those in charge.

Thank you Charles. You were a mentor to us all.

Regards,

Todd Berkoff
                      Sore Foot Boys, 2001-2002
                      Last edited by tberkoff; 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM. Reason: added text
                      Todd S. Berkoff

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed his phone calls out of the blue to give me advice about great niche items I should carry and where to find them, usually ending with "I've been looking at (insert item) for the longest time and I'm sick of it. Send it on to me so it's off your dang site"
                        Now that I need advice, the guy who said "get beyond the gear" would be most welcome to chat with.

Skillet
                        Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                        X