Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD - By Craig L. Barry

Hallo!

I do not recall "exactly" as it was not important enough (back then to write it down or memorize it for the Future). Nor did i think that wome day in the Future there would be a history of reproduction CW firearms.

I would say that the "musketoon" is (likely) 1974 production. "Naval rifle" is late 1977 or early 1978 as I got mine about that time and definitely for use by the start of the Season for April of 1978.

One "good thing" about the Italian proofing system is that their codes make it easy to date production (except when we remove them by "de-farbing"). I have never (yet) encountered a record for Parker-Hale PH.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If you want to know about when those were manufactured, a good ball park guess would be early 1980s.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I went into a local gun store and found a Parker-Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon. It was priced at about half of what Dixie sells their various 1861 Musketoon replicas. The little gun was on consignment, and it was the old story of the fellow passes away and the family was selling his stuff. It appears to be unfired with only a few small handling marks. The Barrel is marked Parker-Hale LTD Birmingham, England and has a crown with BP proof next to the cone. It has beautiful case colors on the lock, tang and lock screws. Serial Number is 5200. No box, tool, or papers, but it did have the nipple protector on the chain. I am guessing this is probably an English Made gun from the early 1980s. Am I correct?

When I got home I had to explain to my wife how going to buy a can of Ballistol spray turned into a nice looking rifle.

This is my first post on this forum, so greetings to all.

Bob Belser
        Bob Belser

Comment

Hi from this side of the pond. Just picked up a 2 band in Smoothbore with a Serial No of S 1225. Original Made in Birmingham PH for $ 325 equiv.
          Seems to be lots of the 3 band low serial numbers about at the moment on Gunstar and Guntrader websites over here.
          All in great condition.
          Peter Millward

Comment

Peter, any relation to Ezra Millward, the B'ham gunbarrel maker who made many Enfield barrels?
            Todd Watts

Comment

There's been some comment / speculation about when the Parker-Hale reproductions appeared.

The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (MLAGB) published in their magazine, 'Black Powder' (December 1972), news of the introduction of "The New Enfield P’61 Artillery Carbine Reproduction by Parker-Hale". By March 1973 they were publishing reports on trials with the rifle.

David
              David Minshall

Research Press - [URL="http://www.researchpress.co.uk"]www.researchpress.co.uk[/URL]
              Firearms, Long Range Target Shooting & Associated History

Comment

Hopefully still relevant to the Parker-Hale history theme, although drifting from the Civil War, a scarce cased set of Parker-Hale sights that would have been for use on the Whitworth or Volunteer rifles was sold in June 2016. The cased set comprises a Goodwin style rearsight with eyepiece and mount, a foresight with spare elements and mount, and a nipple key. You can find details and pictures here: Parker-Hale Rifle Sights

David
                David Minshall

Research Press - [URL="http://www.researchpress.co.uk"]www.researchpress.co.uk[/URL]
                Firearms, Long Range Target Shooting & Associated History

Comment

Maybe this question is redundant. I'm looking at a Euroarms Enfield with a lockplate that says 'London Armory Co.' From what I've read in this thread, can I assume that the barrel was still made using Parker and Hale machinery, even though the lockplate doesn't try to market it as a Parker and Hale? In other words, had Euroarms always used the Parker and Hale machinery and thus all Euroarms Enfield have the proper rifling?
                  Matthew Osterberg

Comment

According to the Euroarms website referring to the Enfield reproductions they produced:
                    The barrels of our replicas are made in Italy. Therefore the Parker Hale marking do not attest that the barrel was made in England by Parker Hale.
                    Craig L Barry
                    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I remember the days before the ERUO, you could buy a ERUO arms or Armi Sport Enfield for $ 350.00
                      Ralph Geigner

Comment

Working...
                      X