Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arming Ohio Part I

Hi Folks,

Thank you James, you've saved me poor fingers some. :)

I don't have the page with the 1st through 26th. Looked in the three boxes of photocopies I have four times now, don't know what happened to it, but cant find it.

James, would very much appreciate it, and you could save me a trip to the library, if you would consider furnishing those.

I would be very glad to share the 1st and 2nd OVM articles Todd, pretty neat stuff, will start working on typing those out.

Regards,

John
    John Sarver
    John Sarver

Comment

Andrew,

It has been a while since I have looked at Robert Pinn's stuff, so if I can I will look and see what all they have and send you a deatiled list, or some photos. I know the Massillon Museum or the Ohio Military Museum has his Congressional Medal of Honor on display.

John,

I will be looking forward to seeing any and all of the Ohio information that you may have to post.
      Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
      Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
      Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Kathy and Andrew - Here's what I found in the Ordnance Summaries. They're broken down by quarters that correspond to the calendar year: 1st quarter ends March 31, 2nd quarter ends June 30, etc. The lists that have been transcribed so far reflect what a unit had at the end of December 1862. For example, the 104th OVI mustered into service at the end of August 1862 and received Austrian Lorenz muskets. In November 1862, the regiment drew Enfields. These Summaries pick up where the Executive Documents left off.

1st Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 48 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 64 Enfield rifle muskets plus 1 Austrian Lorenz, 54 cal.

49th OVI, Company K - 47 Springfield muskets lumped in the category of M1855, M1861, NA (National Armory, i.e. Harpers Ferry?), and contract.

2nd Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 47 Colt Revolving Rifles with triangular bayonets plus 6 Enfields. Company F - 56 Colt Revolving Rifles with triangular bayonets and 12 Enfields

49th OVI, Company K - 45 Enfields

3rd Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 24 Colt Revolving Rifles, Company F - 33 Colt Revolving Rifles plus 12 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 45 Enfields

5th USCT 82 M1842 smoothbore muskets and 22 smoothbore Austrian/Prussian/French muskets caliber 69 to 72. (The Summary has these arms all in one category). The 5th USCT also had .69 caliber cartridge boxes, elongated ball.

4th Quarter 1863:

21st OVI: Company A - 26 Colt Revolving Rifles and 2 Enfields. Company F - 29 Colt Revolving Rifles and 9 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 14 Enfields

5th USCT: 627 Springfield rifle muskets, M1855, M1861,M1863 plus .58 caliber cartridge boxes.

1st Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 54 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 58 Enfield rifle muskets.

49th OVI, Company K - 14 Enfields

5th USCT - 677 Springfield rifle muskets (models listed as above)

2nd Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 41 Enfield rifle muskets, Company F - 51 Enfield rifle muskets and 2 Springfield rifle muskets (a described above)

49th OVI, Company K - 26 Springfield rifle muskets.

5th USCT- 414 Springfields

27th USCT - 531 Enfield rifle muskets

3rd Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 35 Enfields. Company F - 1 Springfield and 27 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 17 Springfields

5th USCT - 594 Springfields

27th USCT - 491 Springfields and 217 Enfields. These were dispersed throughout the companies. In other words, a company would have both Enfields and Springfields.

4th Quarter 1864:

21st OVI: Company A - 1 Springfield and 26 Enfields. Company F - 1 Springfield and 35 Enfields.

49th OVI, Company K - 17 Springfields

5th USCT - 654 Springfields.

27th USCT - 491 Springfields and 217 Enfields.

The Summaries end at this point. It would be interesting to compare these Summaries against the company's muster rolls just to get an idea of strengths and losses. If these Summaries really do reflect unit strength, I think it's interesting how the USCTs tend to remain at much higher manning levels than the white units. Company K had 17 Springfields and the average USCT company was about 4 times that size.

Anyway, I hope you find this information useful.
        James Brenner

Comment

Hi All,

Great Thread! Looking through I saw the Imported Pondir Muskets. I have one in my collection. I will post a pic of it when I get home.

Don S
          Don F Smith

Comment

Originally posted by capt5thusct
            James,
            Could you be so kind as to tell me what the 127th (5th USCT) and the 27th USCT were issued? I have been told it was the 63' springfields but want it from a reliable source, i.e. you or Comrade Sarver. It would be most appreciated

Andrew Jarvi
            Capt. 5th USCT
            Hello Capt. Jarvi,

FWIW, William A. Gladstone in Men Of Color lists the 1863 Springfield as the weapon issued to the 5th (127th OVI).

He lists both the Springfield and the Enfield as issued to the 27th USCT -- model not specified. He includes the Official Army Register of the Volunteer Force of the United States Army, 1861-65, as one of his sources.

I would gladly defer to those who have ready access to official records.

freeborn
            Jim Proctor

Comment

Would anyone know the uniforms and arms used by the 17th, 14th, and 38th Ohio in 1861?
              thanks,
              ewtaylor
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Good morning,

I'm not certain what has happened, but this thread does not contain all of the postings concerning this subject. After reading your question, I thought that we had posted the armament of the ALL the Ohio infantry regiments and, in fact, John S. had even included a description of the uniforms of the 1st and 2nd Ohio regiments. But I see those posts are not here. Perhaps the moderators could see where the gremlins are?

Anyway, the 14th OVI in 1861 was armed with 1000 US rifle muskets, 69 caliber. The state equipped the 17th OVI with 784 US rifle muskets, 69 caliber, and 196 Enfields. The 38th OVI received 750 US rifle muskets, 69 caliber and 200 Enfields.

I don't know about their uniforms.

Hope this helps,

Jim
                James Brenner

Comment

Hallo Herr Jim!

I had saved this thread to the RESEARCH Folder, as well as pulled it and saved it to my PC's "Word" MY DOCUMENTS as a safeguard to prevent loss as with what happened to it archived in the previous incarnation of the AC Forum.

There is NO posting for the 1st through 49th OVI. And no deleted or edited ones either.

I have a paper copy somewhere in this Mess I might could find, but I suspect Comrade John simply did not get around to posting it- so the listings start with yours at OVI 50.

John... John. Come in please (and save me a monumental search....)!

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  And This State Wants To Go With Total Computerized Voting and No Paper Trail Back-up Mess
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Guten tag, Herr Curt.

Actually, as I thought about it, I figured I could just Copy and Paste the misplaced postings. These computers ... I'm an old dog and this is a new trick .

John, glad to help. Here's the info on the 1st through 26th OVIs:

1st OVI - 200 Enfield rifle muskets, 740 Prussian rifles, 69 cal. Subsequent issue of 740 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
                    2nd OVI - 800 U.S. rifles, 69 cal; 180 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    3rd OVI - 682 U.S. percussion muskets, 180 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    4th OVI - 769 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    5th OVI - 608 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 190 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 950 Saxony rifle muskets.
                    6th OVI - 580 U.S. percussion muskets, 120 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 752 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
                    7th OVI - 800 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    8th OVI - 80 U.S. percussion muskets, 576 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 180 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    9th OVI - 500 U.S. percussion muskets, 350 Springfield rifle muskets.
                    10th OVI - 809 U.S. percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    11th OVI - 555 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 98 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    12th OVI - 984 U.S. altered to percussion muskets. Subsequent issue of 900 Saxony rifle muskets, 69 cal.
                    13th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 190 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    14th OVI - 1000 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal.
                    15th OVI - 730 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    16th OVI - 980 Vincennes rifles, sabre bayonet.
                    17th OVI - 784 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 196 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    18th OVI - 720 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    19th OVI - 660 Pondir rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 80 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    20th OVI - 750 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    21st OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    22nd OVI - No record
                    23rd OVI - 385 U.S. percussion muskets, 560 U.S. altered to percussion muskets, 187 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    24th OVI - 840 altered to percussion muskets, 212 Enfield rifle muskets.
                    25th OVI - 800 altered to percussion muskets, 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 900 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.
                    26th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal, 200 Enfield rifle muskets.

Jim

Comment

Here's the list of arms issued to the 26th through 49th OVI's:

26th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      27th OVI - 760 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 190 Enfield rifle muskets
                      28th OVI - Not listed
                      29th OVI - 780 Pondir's rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets
                      30th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets
                      31st OVI - 790 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 195 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      32nd OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      33rd OVI - 700 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      34th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      35th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      36th OVI - 753 U.S. percusion muskets and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      37th OVI - 485 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal., 180 Springfield rifle muskets, and 180 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 100 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      38th OVI - 750 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      39th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      40th OVI - 760 Pondir's rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      41st OVI - 680 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      42nd OVI - 980 French rifles, 57 cal.
                      43rd OVI - 950 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 15 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      44th OVI - 760 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 917 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      45th OVI - 900 Springfield rifle muskets.
                      46th OVI - 700 Prussian smoothbore muskets (subsequent issue of 888 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.) and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. (Subsequent issue of 300 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.)
                      47th OVI - 800 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 200 Enfield rifle muskets. Subsequent issue of 200 Enfield rifle muskets.
                      48th OVI - 816 Austrian rifle muskets, 54 cal.
                      49th OVI - 700 U.S. rifle muskets, 69 cal. and 180 Enfield rifle muskets.

That finishes the list of weapons issued to Ohio troops in U.S. service through December 1862. If anyone's interested, I can include the issues to Ohio troops through December 1863 in another posting.

BTW, I found these postings by clicking onto my name and then looking in all my posts.
                      Last edited by James Brenner; 09-12-2004, 01:02 PM.
                      James Brenner

Comment

To James Brenner and John Sarver,

Thank you for the great information on Ohio units. I am trying to create a listing of the arms issued to both Federal and Confederate Units at Fort Donelson and your information saved me a lot of time on Ohio units.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Hallo Herr Jim!

Thanks.

I was sawing up downed tree branches from past storms, and watching a bit of the BROWNS/RAVENS game, and was slow on the uptake to run your post search.

"If anyone's interested, I can include the issues to Ohio troops through December 1863 in another posting."

From a strictly biased and selfish POV, please do!
                          It will be a breath of fresh air lately amid the "Who makes the best" and "Where can I get? and "What do you think about Skinner Row Sam?" types posts!!! ;-)

Thanks.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                          It Is Great See Quality Posting Is Not Dead Mess
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Comrades,

Have to agree with James regarding the 1st and 2nd Ohio reports/newspaper accounts. I posted sometime back and they don't seem to be around any longer. Concerning the arms of the 1st-50th Regts. Comrade H. is correct, I never posted believing James had finished the list, my apologies.

Am working on a thread regarding what clothing was purchased by Ohio in 1861. I won't have a regiment by regiment account with the exception of the early 14th-20th OVM 3-months regiments raised at Camp Jackson/Chase. Several of these regiments received the early gray cloth jackets purchased by Ohio.

Will have a general listing of what was procured including trousers, blouses, jackets, uniform coats, shirts, trousers et. Numbers from both Executive Documents and material from the Ohio Adjt. Genls. Dept. When paired with a thread I recently did on US Quartermaster support of the earliest period of the Dept. of the Ohio, should give us a good view of what was worn by Buckeyes early on.

Can add the 1st and 2nd three-months post to that creating a "Clothing Ohio" post to somewhat go along with our lists of arms.

Am working too on a post regarding USQMD support of Fremont's Western Department, as several Ohio regiments served there, might be worth a look.

with warm regards,

John

Don, would very much like to see images of your Pondir, thank you. Believe it would compliment the info provided by James (he's done all the work) very well.
                            John Sarver

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                              Hallo Herr Jim!

Thanks.

I was sawing up downed tree branches from past storms, and watching a bit of the BROWNS/RAVENS game, and was slow on the uptake to run your post search.

"If anyone's interested, I can include the issues to Ohio troops through December 1863 in another posting."

From a strictly biased and selfish POV, please do!
                              It will be a breath of fresh air lately amid the "Who makes the best" and "Where can I get? and "What do you think about Skinner Row Sam?" types posts!!! ;-)

Thanks.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                              It Is Great See Quality Posting Is Not Dead Mess

I have been waiting tooth and nail for the info on the 4th-9th Ohio! :D

Bad earthquakes every 50-100 years be dammed I will go without those storms every year!
                              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Everyone,

Here's the list of arms issued to Ohio volunteers in 1863. It's taken from the Ohio Executive Documents and reflects the arms that the state of Ohio issued during 1863. The list is much shorter than previous postings and includes all branches of service:

Artillery.

Battery D, 1st Regiment OVLA - 6, 3 inch wrought iron rifle guns, M1861 (to replace original issue lost in service)
                                21st Independent Battery - 6, light 12-pounder bronze guns, Model 1857.
                                22nd Independent Battery - 6, 3 inch wrought iron rifle guns, M1861.
                                24th Independent Battery - 6, 3 inch wrought iron rifle guns, M1861.

Cavalry.

2nd Regiment - 382 Colt's revolving rifles (to replace arms lost in service)
                                1st Batt., 9th Reg't - 283 Gallagher's carbines, 218 Remington's navy pistols, 100 Whitney's navy pistols, 328 Light Cavalry sabers.
                                10th Regiment - 385 Gallager's carbines, 610 Remington's army pistols, 985 Cavalry sabers.
                                11th Regiment - 400 Spencers repeating rifles, 100 Wesson's carbines, 525 Remingtons army pistols, 450 Cavalry sabers.
                                5th Independent Battalion - 395 Remington's army pistols, 388 Light Cavalry sabers.

Infantry. (Issues to replace foreign and unserviceable arms, or arms lost in service)

1st Reg't - 30 Springfield rifled muskets
                                2nd Reg't - 30 Springfield rifled muskets
                                9th Reg't - 392 Springfield rifled muskets
                                11th Reg't - 650 Springfield rifled muskets
                                14th Reg't - 620 Springfield rifled muskets
                                17th Reg't - 550 Springfield rifled muskets
                                32nd Reg't - 800 Springfield rifled muskets
                                33rd Reg't - 32 Springfield rifled muskets
                                39th Reg't - 550 Springfield rifled muskets
                                40th Reg't - 450 Springfield rifled muskets
                                41st Reg't - 400 Springfield rifled muskets
                                43rd Reg't - 200 Enfield rifled muskets
                                48th Reg't - 400 Spencer's repeating rifles (John, please check the number of this regiment. My copy is smudged at this point)
                                50th Reg't - 200 Springfield rifle muskets and 250 Enfield rifle muskets. (John, please check this one, too)
                                63rd Reg't - 600 Springfield rifled muskets.
                                69th Reg't - 460 Springfield rifled muskets.
                                71st Reg't - 450 Enfield rifled muskets.
                                88th Reg't - 867 Springfield rifled muskets
                                89th Reg't - 1000 Springfield rifled muskets
                                91st Reg't - 900 Springfield rifled muskets
                                92nd Reg't - 800 Springfield rifled muskets
                                93rd Reg't - 65 Springfield rifled muskets
                                94th Reg't - 45 Springfield rifled muskets
                                106th Reg't - 400 Enfield rifled muskets
                                108th Reg't - 400 Austrian rifled muskets, cal .54
                                116th Reg't - 800 Springfield rifled muskets
                                117th Reg't - 700 Enfield rifled muskets
                                118th Reg't - 875 Enfield rifled muskets
                                123rd Reg't - 800 Springfield rifled muskets
                                125th Reg't - 690 Springfield rifled muskets

Battalion Independent Sharpshooters

1st Company - 83 Spencers repeating rifles
                                5th Company - 94 Spencers repeating rifles
                                6th Company - 80 Spencers repeating rifles
                                7th Company - 94 Spencers repeating rifles
                                8th Company - 77 Spencers repeating rifles

Sorry for any inconvenience about those other posts.

Jim
                                James Brenner

Comment

Working...
                                X