Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arming Ohio Part I, Imported PONDIR Rifled Musket

Hi All,

here are the pics of the Pondir Imported Rifled Musket in my Collection. It has a history of being used by a Ohio unit at Gettysberg.

Originally posted by Eureka Independent
    Hi All,

Great Thread! Looking through I saw the Imported Pondir Muskets. I have one in my collection. I will post a pic of it when I get home.

Don S
    Don F Smith

Comment

Re: Arming Ohio Part I

Thanks for the replies. Here is a little info I found while searching on my own:

The contractors, Theodore Comstock, of Columbus, Ohio, and Heildebach, Seesongood & Co., of Cincinnati, have violated their contracts, copies of which I inclose, as well as copies of my letters to them. The man Comstock had money placed in the hands of jones Brothers & Co., to be paid to him as soon as his overcoats were received, yet he has never delivered the five hundred. The Cincinnati firm furnished a few things, but have failed to deliver anything since the 18th. I fear from what I can learn that they were led away from the path of common honesty by the tempting offer of the governor of oHio. He pays them $10 for each overcoat. I hope I have your authority for publishing their names in the Cincinnati papers.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

GEO. H. THOMAS,
      Brigadier-General, U. S. Vols

ewtaylor
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

I saw that the issue for the 76th OVI was what was described as a .69 Cal. French Rifle, would that be an Enfield. I also saw that the next subsequent issue was for Springfields. So I am curious which would be the more accurate for a 76th OVI impression?

Comment

does anyone have clothing issue records for the 47th and/or 68th ohio for 1863? i'm looking for sherman's march time frame.
          Derek Kauhane

Comment

Would it be a correct assumption, based on information in this thread, that my GG Grandfather would most likely have been issued an Enfield when he mustered in?

"72nd OVI - 780 Enfield rifle muskets."

Enlisted 72nd OVI, Company F, 11/16/1861

Trying to determine which rifle he likely carried and then begin the process of trying to track down a reasonably authentic example...

Thank you,
            Sean McCarthy
            Sean McCarthy

Comment

In the absence of a letter or diary stating otherwise, that's probably a fairly good assumption. It could be that the 72nd received some other type of weapon initially (Pondir, French, Prussian, etc.) but the U.S. Ordnance Department (not Ohio) would have replaced it as soon as possible with a more modern arm.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jim
              James Brenner

Comment

Originally posted by Smac61 View Post
                Would it be a correct assumption, based on information in this thread, that my GG Grandfather would most likely have been issued an Enfield when he mustered in?

"72nd OVI - 780 Enfield rifle muskets."

Enlisted 72nd OVI, Company F, 11/16/1861

Trying to determine which rifle he likely carried and then begin the process of trying to track down a reasonably authentic example...

Thank you,
                Sean McCarthy
                The 72nd Ohio received Enfield muskets on three separate occasions. On 29 November 1861 the regiment was provided 200 Enfield muskets. The second issue occurred on 28 January 1862 when it received another 200 muskets. The last issue came on 17 March 1862 when the regiment received 380 making a grand total of 780 Enfield muskets.

During the month of October 1861 the state received a total of 2,900 Enfield muskets. Two hundred of these were from Schuyler Hartley & Graham, NY. The remainder were from C. P. Wolcott who had purchased the remainder in England. During this time, at least one shipment of 800 Enfield muskets were consigned from Liverpool, England. During the month of January 1862 the state received 4,640 Enfield muskets from Naylor & Co and Tiffany & Co: 3,140 from Naylor, 1,320 from Tiffany and 180 from Schuyler Hartley & Graham. Not sure if this helps, but good luck in your research.
                Christopher Warfel
                Co B, 51st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                1861-1865
                Tuscarawas County, Ohio

Comment

Hallo!

A number of the early formed regiments received rifles or rifle-muskets for their "flank"(aka skirmish) companies while the rest of the companies had smoothbores.
                  Then, as supply and availability increased, (and typically tactics changed away from that older model to where any companiy could serve as skirmishers) teh goal was for all men to be rifle or RM armed where and when possible.

So, when your relative joined the regiment, and to what company he was assigned, early on could make a difference versus later. (And speaking somewhat morbidly, as units got shot up and significantly reduced in paper strength numbers, there were NUG more first class weapons to go around anyways...)

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Is there any info on muskets issued to the seventh post 1863?
                    Brady Rusinek

Comment

Generally speaking, by late 1862, most regiments had received either Enfields or Springfields and carried them through the end of the war. If you want to double check, you'll have to get the info from the National Archives. Look at/ask for the Summary Statements of Quarterly Returns of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores on Hand in Regular and Volunteer Army Organizations, 1862 - 1867, Microfilm M1281. Beginning in 1862 and continuing every quarter through the end of the war, each regiment reported the type of arms they carried. Those Returns will tell you what the regiment carried. They're organized by state and then numerically by regiment.

I hope this helps,

Jim

I hope this helps
                      James Brenner

Comment

Working...
                      X