Iron Brigade Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Brigade Uniforms

I wonder if anyone has a modern picture of the uniforms the 7th Wisconsin was issued before they received their frocks. I used to have a great image, I thought I got from the Wisconsin Veterans Museum but I seem to have deleted it in the process of switching computers. Has anyone else seen this image of a grey coat with I believe 7 buttons? I have an image somewhere of a soldier wearing one but I'll have to see if I am lucky enough to find that.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
    Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Here is the early war uniform. I know I had an example of this type of uniform from a museum somewhere.

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
      This is awesome research. Thank you. It makes sense that the 2nd would have received a regular's issue of clothing, their state issued having really run it's course. When you talk about the IB, you almost have to make a special category for the 2nd. They had been in the army a lot longer than the other boys, and have a distinct history apart from the other 3 original regiments.
      As to corps badges late in the war: The IB incorporated both corps badges into their association insignia and pin after the war. When they became V Corps, they should have worn a green Maltese Cross. I don't know if they ever did. Late war photos of the 7th Wisconsin that I have seen don't show a corps badge at all. I'm highly sceptical about the combined corps badge occuring during the war years itself. The only surviving hats show I Corps badges.
      Rob, I found this image. Thought maybe you would be interested in it. I can't remember where I found it, it was long ago that I came across it so I can't say if it is post-war or not.

Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post
        ...... a picture of seven members of Co. K, 6th Wis taken the night before the Grand Review shows no corp badges, but fully trimmed Hardee Hats.
        Lance Herdegen
        Lance,
        I am curious about this image, as this was the regiment & company my gr-gr-grandpa, Johann Thielmann (John Tillman, on the Roster of WI Volunteers) served with '64-'65. I'm not assuming he's in it, but very interested in how he would have been attired for the Grand Review. Please feel free to PM or email me. Any info would be appreciated.
        [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
        John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

early Wisc uniforms

Any info on the state-issue gray stuff, in regards to contracts/makers? Local or out of state?

T'anks,
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

I'll take a look at the Nolan book (mine's signed by the author, how 'bout yours?).....there were TWO grey uniforms...one light, one heavy....the light ones wore out so quickly they had holes in their seat bottoms.....hence the nickname "The Raggedy Assed Second".

If memory serves they BOTH came out of New York.
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Have another!

Click image for larger version

Name:	gray-uniform-wis-early-colo 2nd Wisc-httpwww.secondwi.comsecondwisnewsnews.htm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	219239

Thanks to the second wisconsin website:

Joey
              Last edited by jdanner723; 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM. Reason: Link to the original source
              Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I can't exactly say where the uniforms were made or who may have been contracted for the job, but certainly much of the uniform was borrowed from the SNY state militia jackets.

Does anyone know much about the Wisconsin state issued jacket? In September of 1861 it appears that the state of Wisconsin went on a tear and ordered over 3 million yards of dark blue and light blue kersey wool to produce uniforms. The coat that supposedly resulted was a sack coat with five buttons and a standup collar much like a frock coat. My question is: does anyone have an example of wisconsin soldiers wearing a jacket like this or maybe some additional information on it? I'm wondering when the members of the Iron Brigade received sack coats and is it possible that these 5 button coats were issued alongside of them. Any thoughts?
                Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

And I wish my copy were signed RJ ;)
                  Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Info on Wisconsin sacks here:

Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by jdanner723 View Post
                      I can't exactly say where the uniforms were made or who may have been contracted for the job, but certainly much of the uniform was borrowed from the SNY state militia jackets.

Does anyone know much about the Wisconsin state issued jacket? In September of 1861 it appears that the state of Wisconsin went on a tear and ordered over 3 million yards of dark blue and light blue kersey wool to produce uniforms. The coat that supposedly resulted was a sack coat with five buttons and a standup collar much like a frock coat. My question is: does anyone have an example of wisconsin soldiers wearing a jacket like this or maybe some additional information on it? I'm wondering when the members of the Iron Brigade received sack coats and is it possible that these 5 button coats were issued alongside of them. Any thoughts?

33rd Wisconsin site has THE research article on this. This coat never (NEVER) went east, that I'm aware of. This was issued to more like the 10th WVI (which would have worn it at Perryville). I had Scott Lyndon make one for me and he did an excellent job. Wool probably a little heavy, but cost was a big consideration for this one off hand sewn knockoff. Looks great, love the Wisconsin State buttons, and the gray flannel shell and white muslin sleeve linings is wonderful for fall events.

Those stout fellows portraying Iron Brigade need not worry about this item.

BTW a GGGG Uncle twic removed was Francis/Frank Beauregard, Company A 7th WVI. Captured at the Wilderness, dies at Andersonville.
                      RJ Samp
                      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Originally posted by RJSamp View Post
                        I'll take a look at the Nolan book (mine's signed by the author, how 'bout yours?).....there were TWO grey uniforms...one light, one heavy....the light ones wore out so quickly they had holes in their seat bottoms.....hence the nickname "The Raggedy Assed Second".

If memory serves they BOTH came out of New York.
                        OK wrong Book!

Otis' "The Second Wisconsin Infanty" has a Charlie Dow letter July 10th, 1861 that states they sent their old uniform into storarge, and received new 'summer uniforms' trimmed in red, made of a 'cottonade' material. These are the bull run uniforms that wore poorly, leading to the RA 2nd nickname. The cottonade roundabouts (they fit down to the hips) as well as the trowsers were trimmed in Red. Most of these were made in Wisconsin. The contracts to JD Eaton NY and Jaraslawski & Bros. NY went to later regiments. The older gray uniform (not used in battle) was made of too much cotton filler (shoddy), and wore very poorly as well.

The reason that the 2nd Uniform was grey was because of the lack of Dark Blue wool material available.....

The 2nd Wisconsin received dress uniforms (i.e. a FROCK COAT) in mid October 1861.....with Dark blue trowsers and the dress hat.

For those in the know, this was well before Gibbon became Brigadier....and had the 19th IN and 6th WVI wear dress uniforms, Hardee Hat....and adopt the dreaded leggings.

You'll need to add "In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg" by Lance Herdegen to your library. The included research article by the late Howard Michael Madaus is REQUIRED reading for any Iron Brigade reenactor.
                        Last edited by RJSamp; 01-11-2009, 12:10 PM.
                        RJ Samp
                        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Re: early Wisc uniforms

Originally posted by John of the Skulkers Mess View Post
                          Any info on the state-issue gray stuff, in regards to contracts/makers? Local or out of state?

T'anks,
                          It's all in the Madaus articile in Lance Herdegen's book "In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg.

Let me know if you need me to loan/send you the book and I'm more than happy to ship it out.

Two uniforms.

2nd Uniform made early on (spring 1861) by Wisconsin contractors......later on (so the 7th WVI would have received these) by JD Eaton of NY. Overcoats made by Jaraslawski & Bros. NY.
                          RJ Samp
                          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Scott, I am really confused... Was the IB in their 1858 hats, and frock coats at G-Burg? You befuddled me with dispelling the myth wording...

Thanks, Gus
                            Dave "Gus" Gallagher
                            Pit Rats Mess
                            The "Old 49th" OVI
                            Western Brigade

"Corporal, what the devil does O.V.M. stand for?"
                            "Oh, my plate you mean?" says the corporal; "that stands for Ohio Visiting Mississippi. We had a few made on purpose for this campaign."

Comment

The Madaus article explicitly talks about this. The IB wore the M1858 dress hat on the field of battle at Gettysburg. The 6th WVI was mostly in frock coats, the 2nd WVI had some frock coats, and the 7th WVI, 19th IN, and 24th MI were mostly (like 99%+) in 4 button issue sack coats.
                              RJ Samp
                              Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

I have a question RJ. I'd like to read the article you mentioned and looked for the book today while I was in Gettysburg at the Farnsworth house but they had just sold their last copy. Anyway, I wondered if the article you are talking about makes any mention of when the men received sack coats. Would this have been something that was issued to them around the time their frock coats were? I'll keep looking for that book....
                                Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X