Original Confederate Haversacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original Confederate Haversacks...

This is one of them. It does not have the buckle attached, but the shape, construction, and material all look similar:

AND, this one, which still has remnants of the leather tab/buckle:
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Craig, thanks for the verification on the "Georgia Cotton" haversack. Joseph, thanks for sharing the Atlanta History Center images! Forgive my ignorance, but does the AHC offer item worksheets like the MoC?
      Respectfully,
      Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Jon, I'm just as ignorant as you are on that point. I don't know either.
        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
        Yocona Rip Raps
        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for the pics. They are similar to Gett 143, but there are differences too. Mainly Gett 143 doesn't have any reinforcement on the flap like these, and even between these 2 the reinforcement is different. These 2 slings look the same, not to "generalize" but just like a standard Fed. Haversack sling, where-as Gett 143 is a single layer sling with the edges folded over 1/4" (I think) and sewn down. I've seen the Alexander & Bailey haversacks and didn't like their smaller carrying capacity. These 2 along with Gett 143 have the gusset in the bottom which really makes a difference when trying to carry 3 days rations.
          Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
          44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I can't seem to post the PDF I have/made of Gett 143. If someone wants it just PM me your email address.
            Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
            44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

The last haversack in the Flickr link posted by Joseph appears to be made from linen.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I was thinking that, too, Brian. it has a more boardy look to it and even a slight gloss to the twill, if I am using those terms correctly.
                Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                Yocona Rip Raps
                "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Also notice that it looks like the flap is sewn onto the bag, rather than the flap and back of the bag being one piece. Is this a common feature?
                  Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

There is a Confederate oil cloth haversack pictured in Davis' "Fighting Men of the Civil War", pg. 70-71. It is located in the left hand corner of the collection of items in the photo. It appears to be oil cloth, square flap and bag. Bag has a "gusset" around the sides and bottom. It is listed as being located in the MoC. I tried a search at the MoC site but cannot seem to find it. Does anyone have info on this item. Is this one of the haversacks listed in the first post of this thread?

Thanks in advance.
                    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Here are two photos that I took at the Texas Confederate Museum in Fort Worth, Texas; they may be of some interest.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020123.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	223783Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020124.JPG
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	223784
                      Alan Thrower
                      Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
                      confederateuniforms.org
                      pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
                      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
                      pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
                      pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
                      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
                      pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Looking at various records at Footnote, you see lots of haversacks being shipped to different arsenals. I've seen one where Richmond sent 20000+ haversacks at one time to a depot out in west (somewhere in Alabama I think). Also, in the summer of 1862 the Montgomery Arsenal sent thousands of "Enameled" and "Striped" haversacks out to the Army of Mississippi.

Regarding the Moses Alexander haversack, wasn't he in Kolb's Battery in the AoT?

Will MacDonald

Comment

Has anybody mentioned the May haversack made from a Federal double bag?
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention that many of those "Enameled" Haversacks were purchased by officers. I think it was in the 6th Tennessee that something like 40 officers bought new Enameled haversacks on the same day in July 1862, this was just a few days after a shipment of them arrived from Montgomery.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Fellas,
                              My friend has the repro haversack in the image below and I have seen others having the same pattern. Does anyone know if this is based off a known original and if so, whats the info behind it? It has an internal divider. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	223795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.JPG
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	223796
                              Respectfully,
                              Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

I believe that's the Eutaw bag and is in the MOC
                                Patrick Landrum
                                Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X