.69 caliber rounds in .58 caliber cartridge boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: .69 caliber rounds in .58 caliber cartridge boxes

Federal soldiers at least, did indeed put .69 caliber ammunition in their .58 boxes. A fellow who was measuring things in my collection discovered this accidentally.

Apparently, what they did was put the 1839 pattern box tins into 1861 pattern .58 boxes. Obviously, then, there's a caveat: the weapon used was a smoothbore. I had two original .58 boxes that had .69 tins in them -- there was the remote possibility that one of the tins had been replaced (since that particular box was unissued), but the other had been used that way for a long time.

The only major difference in the box tins is the height. When the .69 tins were put into the .58 box, the top of the tins protruded from the box, but not enough to prevent the box from sealing.

John Tobey
    Hi,

I tried this today, but was unable to close my cartridge box. I was using a M1857 58 cartridge and 69 caliber tins. I am not sure if the 69 caliber tins were M1839 or if they were Confederate issue. Don, what type of tins do you put in your 69 caliber Confederate round ball cartridge box? Is there a difference in size, between the M1839 and the CS issue? Thanks
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
      Hi,

I tried this today, but was unable to close my cartridge box. I was using a M1857 58 cartridge and 69 caliber tins. I am not sure if the 69 caliber tins were M1839 or if they were Confederate issue. Don, what type of tins do you put in your 69 caliber Confederate round ball cartridge box? Is there a difference in size, between the M1839 and the CS issue? Thanks
      Hi Andrew,

Not exactally sure what you are asking,

Usually I put into my .69 Round ball CS Boxes the M1839 size tins for round ball, as the CS Box I copy is basically a copy of the US box dimention wise with some minor differences. The original CS .69 round Ball box I copy has US tins in it.

Don S
      Don F Smith

Comment

Hi,

That is exactly what I was asking, thanks for the information, and the quick reply.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
        X