AS M1842 or Pedersoli 1816/22 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AS M1842 or Pedersoli 1816/22 Conversion

I think a replica CS brazed breech conversion of any of a number of 69-cal flintlocks would sell a reasonable number of units. One could do a repro of a M1835, M1822, or earlier US/Contract arm, or a Virginia Manufactory musket.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Oh Mr. Wickett, I would love to keep the exclusiveness of my VA Manufactory alittle longer!

Seriously, I think the brazed breech conversion on a M1822 or similar musket is looong overdue. Considering that AS makes an M1842 I don't see why they couldn't offer one.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

"If there are no pictures, it didn't happen"
        ... and so it is with your Virginia musket
        ... How 'bout a pic or 10? Would love to see it!

;-)
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Well since you said please...
          Attached Files
          Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Todd Watts did one like this, or has one like this which was a converted Pedersoli US 1795 flintlock. It looks almost identical except for the ramrod. One observation with that one is the bottom barrel band spring is located right where you put your left hand when firing the musket, and the pressure of your grip on the band spring inadvertendly frees the bottom barrel band. It's kind of a nuisance.

For what it's worth, I am not encouraged that Pedersoli will be adding anything like this version to their product lines...they are selling quite a few of their P53 and two band Enfield rifles which are at a more attractive pricing point vs. their 1816 and other smoothbore muskets.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

This was made from a Pedersoli 1795 kit, but with some hand made pieces and parts as well as a maple stock. I haven't taken it out to an event yet, so I don't know if the lower barrel band will get in the way when shooting, but after reading Mr. Barry's comments I had to see for myself. It really doesn't get in my way, I guess everyone's forward hand placement is alittle different when shooting.

After reading Giles Cromwell's book about the Virginia Manufactory of Arms, I had the privilege of going to the Virginia Historical Society and seeing several of their original VA Manufactory muskets and bayonets. Giles gave/donated/sold his collection to them. When I compared the 3 original 1802s they had as well as the 1802 lock plate to mine, they all had their differences, both in fit & finish and placement. You could really tell that these were made by hand one at a time, and parts are not interchangeable. It was truly an eye-opening experience. And to think originally they wanted to have the bayonets permanently attached to them (the thought was why would you need to take it off). They are long muskets, about 3-4 inches longer than the M1842. So if you were issued the 27" bayonet with the 24" blade, just imagine trying to walk around with that thing all day long.

As far as Pedersoli and their M1816, I think if they did a braised bolster instead of the Colt drum conversion and fix some of the other things Master Curt mentions in Post #5, it would be more desirable. Then again, I may have bought that long ago and not have this VA Manufactory musket.
              Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Mike,

That musket is beautiful. I've used both M1763/66 Charleville and M1795 Springfield repops and the only issue I've experienced with the lower band spring is when going to "Order Arms", sometimes my hand compresses the spring and pops the band up.

This discussion makes me remember (long for the return of ) my first original reenactment weapon back in the late 70s - a very NICE condition M1816/22 Harper's Ferry w/ Belgian alteration (dated 1829, all the parts were original to the musket except the original 1840/50s hammer, and the new replacement cone (the original cone was removed intact). Wish I never sold it, also wish Pedersoli would have made the cone-in-barrel conversion instead of the bolster.
                Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
                X