Pinkie on the ramrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pinkie on the ramrod

Glad we were able to help you out and clear some things up for you John!
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Sergeants are like bookends. Be it by company, division or battalion, you'll find one on either end of the front rank while in line of battle.

Think about a battalion in line of battle. In the left most company, you'll find the second sergeant on the end. For the other companies to the right, you'll also find a sergeant on the left of the company. It's not their own sergeant, it's the first sergeant for the company to the left. Where do the second sergeants of these other companies belong? In the rank of file closers.

When the left of a company becomes uncovered, the place for the second sergeant moves to the left of the company. For example, start from a battalion in line of battle. If the commander orders, By Company Right Wheel, then the left of the companies becomes uncovered. That's when the second sergeant moves from the rank of file closers and onto the left of the company like a bookend which keeps the other books from falling off the shelf.

In my published article on the opening and closing of ranks during parade, you can see the locations of the sergeants at all stages of the formation. It's on my links page. In my manual of battalion drill, I also have some battalion diagrams showing the location of sergeants for marching forward and for firing.

The ultimate drill guide for NCO's is LeGal's School of the Guides. It's on my links page. Officers can learn a thing or two from LeGal, too.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mark, Thank you! that clarifies that even more for me. I'm yet to attend my first immersion or authentic event. Time and money doesn't allow for me to travel to far from home besides the events in the state. Perhaps I'll be able to find something close, I've been reenacting for close to 13 years and have seen my impression grow with that time. I plan on speaking with several people up here that have done the authentic events and see if I can tag along also to check out my gear before attending one.
        John Schut (Sgt USMC)
        10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

Working...
        X