Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12 Step “De-farbing” Stock Program

Gentlemen,
    Where are you purchasing Japan Dryer? I have tried the local big box (Lowe's) and hobby/craft store (Hobby Lobby). I thought surely one of those places would have had it. Ideas?

TIA!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Hallo!

I get mine (Klean Strip brand) at my local Sears & Sawbuck hardware store in their paint section. Ace Hardware chain carries it (or used to). Amazon.com does.

When I was painting miniatures, the fad/rage was to use oil paint rather than flat "modeling" paints. But they took so long to dry, lads invented methods to speed up the drying like crock pots and adding Japan Drier to the paint coming out of the tubes. "They" said they got it at art supply stores, but even living near a Big City like Cleveland, I could never find any.

And then I found paint stores, then hardware stores. (Here we have an 1870's hardware store still in business in the same unmodernized location.)

Side Note: Many paint stores do not carry it now, as they no longer carry oil-based paints in the modern era of latex paint and latex-based enamel. :(

Curt

Curt
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt. I used to be a scale modeler myself, and had friends mention using this. That's why I checked at the arts/crafts type stores because I thought artists were still using it. I'll check my local hardware, and if that fails, there's always Amazon.
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

the hobby lobby here in athens ga carries small jars of japan dryer in the artist section, also try a paint store like shervin williams,etc.

Doug Bones Jarrett
          Armory Guards
          Doug "Bones" Jarrett

Comment

I got mine at Lowes.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Got mine at ACE hardware.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Thanks guys. My Lowe's and Hobby Lobby did not have it, that's why I came here. I'll try to local hardware, and if they don't come through, there's Amazon.
                Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

I believe certain state/commonwealth laws prohibit the sell of certain oil based paints and items relating to it....Japan Dryer being one of them.....I know I can't find it anywhere in PA....and seem to be unable to locate it in Ohio as well........However as most events are in or near Virginia....I have never not walked into any hardware, feed, or tractor store and not been able to locate it...

sources......
                  I got nothing...word of mouth
                  [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

FYI: Per the revised EPA rules in affect as of Spring 2010 - Oil Based Paint is no longer being produced in the USA. Due to this, one should expect that throughout the Nation, paint products specifically for the old oil-based paint (not the new alkyds) may get scarcer to find at the local big box stores.

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Yep Paul, and thanks for the heads up on that. I kind of saw that one coming a while back in the field of paints for scale modeling. There are some that were once common here that are only available through hobby shops/dealers/sellers in Japan, etc. now. I've got to get out this week and make a road trip to obtain some black powder (which is also getting scarce/hard to find due to new regs) and will combine it into a Japan dryer expedition as well.
                      I'll try to take some before and after images of my firearm as I do this.
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

FWIW, I went ahead and ordered it through Amazon. Even my local hardware, which stocks MEK and other nasties didn't carry it. Photos (before and after) and a report to follow when I get it done.

Thanks for all of your help friends!
                        Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Re: 12 Step De-Farbing Stock Program

Bumping this thread to the top for 2020.
                          ERIC TIPTON
                          Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X