Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lorenz & Colt Revolving Rifle Repro

Originally posted by Johan Steele
    I was told recently that Dixie Gunworks was offering a repro Lorenz in .54 & a Colt Revolving Rifle repro as well. After searching the site I managed to either miss them or they aren't there. Does anyone know who makes repros of either?
    As far as I know, no one is reproducing these arms as of yet. I have heard several times of the projects being underway, but do not think they have come to fruition. Dixie does offer an Austrian Jaeger Rifle, but this is a whole different animal than the Lorenz Rifle-musket. There are also "revolving carbines" available, but they do not resemble anything that was used in the WBTS.

Please let me know if you find out otherwise.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

:D
      Originally posted by Minieball577
      As far as I know, no one is reproducing these arms as of yet. I have heard several times of the projects being underway, but do not think they have come to fruition. Dixie does offer an Austrian Jaeger Rifle, but this is a whole different animal than the Lorenz Rifle-musket. There are also "revolving carbines" available, but they do not resemble anything that was used in the WBTS.

Please let me know if you find out otherwise.
      Stay away from the Dixie sold Austrian. It is a stubby little thing with many problems. It is made in the Czech Republic by a factory that used to turn out AK-47's and explains one major reason for the fall of communism, bad industrial production. It is not the three band Austian Lorenz but a shorter cousin with no ramrod hole in the stock. The ramrod is purchased with a sword bayonet for $200 plus and carried in a leather over the shoulder sling. On mine the bayonet would not fit and the mainspring was too weak to pop a percussion cap. Also the barrel was bored off center. The fine folks at Dixie gave me full credit and I got one of their Miroku model '61 Springfields, a wonder in comparison!
      Steve Sullivan
      46th Illinois and Artifakes

Comment

I believe this the "Colt Revolving Carbine" currently being offered by a few vendors is just a revolver frame with shoulder stock (not to be confused with the Colt's that actually had a detachable shoulder stock) and extra long barrel. It isn't really a copy of anything in particular.

This is the "Remington" version:

John Stillwagon

Comment

Actually,

Palmetto was supposed to be making a repro of the Colt's Revolving Rifle, to be sold through Dixie Gun works. I believe the last time I asked Palmetto, it was supposed to be out by the end of last year. Some posters on the NSSA message board had more up-to-date info, but that board seems to be down at the moment. Palmetto usually makes repros of pistols, and one of their newest products is the 1855 Colt "Root" or "Sidehammer" revolver. So, if they ever do decide to release the dang thing, it should indeed be a Colt. I have not heard of anyone reproducing a quality rifle-length Lorenz.
          Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Lorenz available through Dixie Gunworks

Message answered through search engine. Don't need to go over the same ground again.
            Last edited by Johan Steele; 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM. Reason: did a search and found the info
            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
            SUVCW Camp 48
            American Legion Post 352
            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Colt Revolving Rifle Repro

Hello,

I recently heard from Palmetto Arms about the 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle, Here is their reply:

Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 6:13 AM
              To: David Rider
              Subject: Re: Colt Revolving Rifle

Hello David,

We are in production with the 1855 musket two bands without bayonet
              attacment which will be soon available at Dixie Gun Works plant in
              Tennessee. The first lot is preview in .44 -6 chambers only, while other
              calibers will be available after the fist batch but not for this year.

David Rider
              Company "C" 2nd Reg.t U.S. Sharpshooters
              http://www.berdansharpshooters.com

Comment

Re: Colt Revolving Rifle Repro

Originally posted by drider98
                Hello,

I recently heard from Palmetto Arms about the 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle, Here is their reply:

Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 6:13 AM
                To: David Rider
                Subject: Re: Colt Revolving Rifle

Hello David,

We are in production with the 1855 musket two bands without bayonet
                attacment which will be soon available at Dixie Gun Works plant in
                Tennessee. The first lot is preview in .44 -6 chambers only, while other
                calibers will be available after the fist batch but not for this year.

David Rider
                Company "C" 2nd Reg.t U.S. Sharpshooters
                http://www.berdansharpshooters.com
                As we all know, the Colt Revolving Rifle was a 5 cyclinder .58 caliber. I doubt if anyone will ever make a true reproduction of the Colt Revolving Rifle used by the Berdan Sharpshooters and a few other regiments.
                Marc Riddell
                1st Minnesota Co D
                2nd USSS Company C
                Potomac Legion

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

Five chambers, but one cylinder... ;-)
                  (Five on .56 versions and larger, six chambers on smaller bores)

IMHO, they are only test marketing to the CAS/SASS cowboy shooters and not the military community- as they did with the Spencer carbine.

The Colt-Root Model 1855 repeating rifle came in a variety of models, but as a "Berdan" I sure would like a Sharpshooter version rather than a .44 (produced in a range of .40 through .64, with .44, .50, and .56 being PEC, as well as with different barrel lengths)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Company "A," 1st USSS
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I would think that a true reproduction of a Colts revolving rifle would be a possible insurance risk, due to the possibility of a chain fire in close proximity of the users fore arm.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

I would think no less, no more, than the bastardized "Remington" pistol-carbines now being sold, or any of the shoulder stocks sold for the Army or Navy Colts.

As an aside, the problem of multiple discharges on cap-and-ball revolvers (or the Colt rifle which is essentially a revolver action rifle) comes from the cone side of the cylinder and usually always not the barrel side of the chambers.
                      An oversized ball is squeezed into the chamber, sealing off the powder charge from flash at the barrel end/forcing cone end- even without grease or wad.
                      Improperly made cones, cones that are cracked or improperly seated, or even cones with oversized vents allow flash blow-back to move along the front of the cylinder and jump and dance into successive cone vents.
                      Some time ago, and I cannot find it at the moment, a detailed study was conducted on multiple revolver discharges which was able to capture the "flash dance" with a high speed camera.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Nice Federal image with Lorenz and traps

This is a nice image:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: Nice Federal image with Lorenz and traps

Boy he looks ready to skewer some rebs with that pig sticker don't he?

Jordan Davis

Comment

Mark,

That's a great image. It looks like he was a pretty good sized fellow.

I've always liked this image of a young Lorenz-armed Birney's Zouave. Just for fun, compare how far his Lorenz comes up on his body to the image Mark posted.

John Stillwagon

Comment

Re: Nice Federal image with Lorenz

About two months ago a Texas dealer on eBay had an image he titled "Tall Yank" as it showed what appeared to be a significant giant of a man. Upon closer examination, he was leaning against a Lorenz, making anyone of normal stature appear to be a giant in height.
                              Steve Sullivan
                              46th Illimois
                              Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Excellent image and thanks for posting :wink_smil . Great to see some accouterments along with the Model of 1854 in a clear picture. Too bad the cartridgebox and cartridgebox belt did not make the image.
                                Tom Klas
                                Hard Head Mess
                                Citizens Guard

Comment

Working...
                                X