Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austrian Lorenz Repop

I was looking around in an antinque store this afternoon and found a bayonet. It was locked in a case so I didn't get to handle it but it was obviously for a muzzle smaller than .577, probably .54. I have a couple of questions:

1. Were there any .54 caliber weapons other than the Lorenz that took a triangular bayonet?

2. What features and markings should I look for? I know nothing about Lorenz bayonets.

3. What is the going price for a Lorenz bayonet in v.g. shape?

Thanks
    Marlin Teat
    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Re: Lorenz Bayonet

Actually, I don't think it's a Lorenz bayonet, unless I'm wrong in thinking that they were 4-sided.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

It could have been a postwar bayonet, such as a Martini Henry or Trapdoor Springfield.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I would agree it is probably a trapdoor 45/70 since they are very common. In addition the outside diameter of a .54 Austrian Lorenz barrel and one re-rifled to .58 is the same.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

You can confuse other details of the lorenz at first sight with the Springfield and Enfield, but the difference in the socket is hard to miss.

All of the Springfield and Enfield bayonets from during the war and post war had 90 degree angles in the opening in the socket as seen here:

Serving collectors for over 20 years with quality, original merchandise from the American Revolution to World War II

The Lorenz didn't, as seen here:

Serving collectors for over 20 years with quality, original merchandise from the American Revolution to World War II
          Last edited by NY Pvt; 01-17-2004, 08:49 PM.
          Dane Utter
          Washington Guard

Comment

I paid around $250 for a Lorenz bayonet in a nice 2-rivet scabbard on eBay early last year.

Comment

I'm going to try to get back to look at it again this weekend. I looked up some pictures of Martini-Henry baynets and the locking ring was entirely different although there may have been variatons.

As I mentioned, the inside diameter was smaller than the outside diameter of any "common" military caliber weapon that I'm aware of. Other than that, it had the outward appearance of any bayonet that you would glance at on a table at a relic show and move on.

The asking price was $125.00.
              Marlin Teat
              [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by marlin teat
                3. What is the going price for a Lorenz bayonet in v.g. shape?

I bought this one at the Richmond show in Novermber of 03 for 125. The going price at the shows is between 100 and 135 although one recently sold on e-bay for less than 100. The one pictured is in very good condition and required no cleaning or fitting to my original Lorenz.
                Last edited by Jimmayo; 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM.
                Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Clarification - Lorenz bayonet and scabbard

While I suspect that they do, can someone confirm that a Lorenz four-sided bayonet will fit in a c.1860 US scabbard intended for a triangular bayonet, please? The 104th OVI received Lorenz muskets in September 1862 and Enfields w/bayonets three months later. None of the regiment's primary sources suggest that new scabbards accompanied the Enfield issue. I haven't yet found an answer in any of the secondary sources I've consulted: Reilly, Man at Arms, etc.

Thanks
                  James Brenner

Comment

Re: Clarification - Lorenz bayonet and scabbard

James,

Have you examined any of the returns or documenst related to the 104th in the Ohio Historical Society. The A.G. records were a good source for me for some records when I was doing research on the 4th Ohio.

Also, I have a copy of a masters thesis that was written about the 104th OVI. I will look and see if I might find any references in there that may help you.
                    Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                    Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                    Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

The Lorenz bayonet blade is about 1 inch longer than a springfield or enfield bayonet blade. I don't have an original Springfield scabbard but do have repros in which my original Springfield bayonets fit well. The Lorenz will not fit but half way into these scabbards. The Lorenz 4 sided blade is just too fat and if it did fit inside the scabbard it would be too long. As far an Enfield scabbard, the 4 sided Lorenz will never make it past the 3 side brass triangle throat of the scabbard.

Now to your post. You said 104th OVI had Austrians and then received Enfields. The Enfield bayonet WILL fit into a US made Lorenz scabbard. I do have a two rivet US mfg. Lorenz scabbard which came into my collection with a Springfield bayonet inside it. It is pictured on http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/relics.html

It may be possible that they used the Enfield bayonets in the US arsenal made Austrian scabbards.
                      Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Though it is not something they normaly stock, I would contact Lukas Berg at the Quartermaster Stores and ask him to make you up a Lorenz scabbard. He has a great pattern, the construction is excellent, and the materials are first rate. In short, all that make up a great reproduction. He made mine, I am very happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Ivan F. Ingraham

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I suspect that the 104th was issued US made scabbards for use with the Lorenz bayonets and then used them for the Enfield bayonets a few months later. (I wonder who made the scabbards?) The records for the 104th in the various respositories - National Archives, Ohio Historical Society, and the Western Reserve Historical Society- merely state that the 104th received "scabbards". So far, the pictures I've come across don't show enough detail to be of much use. Gotta keep looking, though. The answer's out there somewhere.

Did Bradley Keefer write the thesis on the 104th? If so, I have a copy.
                          James Brenner

Comment

The US government produced 2 different styles of scabbards for use with the cruciform pattern Lorenz bayonet. One style has diamond shaped throat in cross section and the other style has an oval shaped throat. Both were, of course long enough to accommodate the added blade length of the Austrian bayonet versus the US bayonet. Both were of the “2-rivet” pattern, with 2 rivets on the frog. I have not seen any evidence that the leather covered, wooden body Austrian style scabbards were ever used by US troops. Every image that I have seen of a US soldier with a Lorenz has shown a standard “Gaylord” pattern bayonet scabbard (if a scabbard was visible in the image).
                            I own an original with the diamond shaped throat that I sent to Don Smith at TMDCo. He has produced an excellent reproduction for me, and now has the pattern to produce more.
                            [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                            [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                            Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                            Member The Company of Military Historians
                            Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                            Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                            [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Lorenz & Colt Revolving Rifle Repro

I was told recently that Dixie Gunworks was offering a repro Lorenz in .54 & a Colt Revolving Rifle repro as well. After searching the site I managed to either miss them or they aren't there. Does anyone know who makes repros of either?
                              Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                              SUVCW Camp 48
                              American Legion Post 352
                              [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X