Austrian Lorenz Repop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Austrian Lorenz Repop

Mr Barry is quite correct, "sporterized" Lorenzes are regualrly available on Gunbroker for nothing and I keep seeing African trade Lorenzes that were converted to Flint after the war and somebody brought over here at some point. Buy the sporterized and steal the lock abd barrel if in tolerable condition. Place into the Flintlock (as ecvery one of those I've seen is in cherry condition) some minro fitting would be required but any competant smithy should be able to do that for a reasonable fee.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hallo!

An "intermediate" step, is the heretical sacrilege of restoring an original to its CW era-use condition.

Meaning, original "Lorenz's" can be found in "fairish" condition with the metal and wood being "a bit gone" to the point on the sliding scale that they no longer have "color" or condition good enough to command higher collector prices.

Many of the skills and techniques needed to do so-called "defarb" carry over for such "restoration" projects.

Having said that, I would add that doing so is often considered Sacrilege and a Mortal Sin.
      However, in our hobby is a dirty business where originals are cannibalized into parts and the parts sold to the custom-building and reenacting communities because the profit margins in parts can run as high as 2-3-4 times the profit from selling the intact gun.
      While it is said that "parts" come from "Bannerman" half stock shotguns that have long-since lost there "CW History," some dealers cannot resist the profits from stripping any CW guns into parts whne its overall condition will not bring Big Bucks.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Who once as a custom builder, had talked himself into believing there were tons of Bannerman shotguns and even crates and boxes of armory left-over parts "out there" Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Veteran Arms LLC makes a reproduction M1854 Austrian Lorenz. Does anyone out there own one? Are they any good? I will be receiving and original in the mail tomorrow, but I was looking into a good reproduction for ceremonial purposes with the SUVCW. The original needs a little restoration work, so will not be available for the purpose for awhile. Anyone know where I can get an original middle band for it?

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions, and just good discussion on the Austrian Lorenz Rifle,

Douglas Urbanski
        SUVCW Camp 56
        Douglas Urbanski
        1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
        Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
        William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
        Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
        David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
        Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

Working...
        X