X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: knapsack question

Originally posted by billmatt04
    Hello all,
    I have a question concerning knapsacks and the little loop of leather that is between the shoulder straps at the top. I used the "search" option and could not find anything on them. What was their official use? Reenactors have told me to slip a small stick or dowel rod through it to support the straps so that it doesn't rip the stitching. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to do all I can to improve my impression. Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
    Matthew Cassady
    Pvt. 104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
    Intended to hang the knapsack on a peg in the barrack
    [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
    [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
    [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Can't say I know for sure, but it may've come in handy when crossing a river in chest deep water to slip the loop over your bayonnet on musket and lift your gear out of the water to keep it dry....or tie a rope through to hang or carry it. I find it too small to really get a finger through for carrying.

Jeff Lawson
      Rear Guard
      Jeff Lawson
      2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

If you put a stick through that loop and through the straps holding your greatcoat or blanket roll on top the knapsack, it will have the effect of pulling that part of the load closer to the vertical centerline of your body-- the "fore and aft" line -- it's not hanging "out" the back and leveraging you backward. That is not why the loop is there -- it's for a barracks peg -- and I have no idea if any civil war soldier ever used it in this way. I do know it helps a little with the load.
        Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

• Re: knapsack vs. blanket roll

Hallo Kameraden!

During my early daze in the Texas Brigade, I favored a blanket roll for a variety of "non reasons:"

1. It looked "cool" (later renamed kewyl) and "hardcore" (later renamed campaigner).
          2. It was cheap (I already had a blanket, so there was no extra expense for a knapsack).
          3. Almost everyone was going to blanket or bed rolls.
          4. It looked "cool" (later renamed kewyl) and "hardcore" (later renamed campaigner).

Then I switched over to a knapsack.
          The knapsack enabled me to better organized; have a dry blanket and dry clothes (shirt, drawers, and socks) for night; I could put it on by myself in a few seconds; and I did not have to pack and repack its contents timed with the bugler(s) every morning to make formation...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Bill... That is how I was told to use it! That is the only reason, I my opinion, that it would seem to be used for.

Comment

Comrade,
              Actually, an easier way to shift the blanket up and forward and keep the knapsack from drooping is to take a small sapling and run it underneath the greatcoat/blanket straps, and also underneath the knapsack straps. It works much better than the loop method.
              respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

The beautifully restored and furnished enlisted mens' barrack at Fort Larned Nat'l Historic Site has all their knapsacks hanging from pegs by the loop betwen the shoulder straps.

Phil Campbell
                Phil Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine
                  Comrade,
                  Actually, an easier way to shift the blanket up and forward and keep the knapsack from drooping is to take a small sapling and run it underneath the greatcoat/blanket straps, and also underneath the knapsack straps. It works much better than the loop method.
                  respects,
                  I think a more authentic solution than the greatcoat straps is to use some twine of some variety. Didn't the regulations stipulate that the greatcoat straps would be tied around the coat when it was turned in for the Summer months?
                  Bill Cross
                  The Rowdy Pards

Comment

• Re: ITW: Lessons Learned, Short comments.

This was my first "authentic-" style event, so bear in mind that these observations are coming from the perspective of a "heavy" campaigner.

What didn't work for me:
                    1) wee, little, tiny, CW signs on the interstate that I missed when I reached for another Dorito
                    2) forging straight ahead through brush and swamp when we could have marched by the flank through passages behind a screen of skirmishers.
                    3) turnips
                    4) a farby orderly sergeant's notebook - sweat turns it into oatmeal
                    5) a too-small penknife

What worked for me:
                    1) packing light - I'll never use an A-frame again
                    2) extra twine (even if my captain commandeered most of it for his shebang)
                    3) extra socks (especially after Saturday night's rain)
                    4) behaving military
                    5) bacon is good
                    6) hardtack is good too
                    7) picket duty (even if we were left out all night)
                    8) flank attacks are fun, with or without orders
                    9) hearing Chris Anders give orders in tongues before falling down - again!
                    10) I think sweat neutralizes poison ivy
                    11) lister bags (do I hear an 'Amen?')
                    12) drawers with ties at the ankles - only two ticks got through
                    13) all the pre-ITW advice and training I received from my pard - thanks Chris Hartwig

I can sum up my general impression of RECON III this way: I woke up just after midnight on Sunday morning, hyperthermeating and soaked from laying in two inches of groundwater under a leaky oilcloth, after having been without sleep for 42 hours, and I thought to myself, "This is the coolest thing I have done in a long time."

Maybe I'm just too stupid to know any better, but I had a blast. Thanks for opening this event up to those of us who want to improve our impression and intensify our experience.

John McCullough
                    fresh old fish

Comment

• Re: ITW: Lessons Learned, Short comments.

John,
                      Glad to have you with us....looking back on all the misery makes me laugh now and realize just how much fun was had.

It also makes me think about how realistic it was.

And it makes me appreciate all the good friends we had with us in the 14th. I think that Regiment would have taken Hades if ordered.

I am working on an article for the CCG on the event from the view of the 14th. If you have any comments for that email them to me at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com

Good to see you out there, and don't be a stanger!

Pards,
                      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

• Re: knapsack vs. blanket roll

All-

I found this article, dated April 14, 1864, in The Mobile Daily Register and Advertiser. I thought it may be of some use to this discussion.

p. 1, c. 7

Knapsacks have fallen into general discredit and disuse in the Confederate armies, and in division [sic? derision] of them the soldiers call them "hand organs." Whenever a company or regiment is seen marching with "knapsacks slung" the taunt is sure to follow: "I say, you've got your organs; where's your monkey? You left them behind, expecting to find bigger and better monkeys down here," &c.
                        A blanket and oilcloth twisted into the shape of a boa constrictor, and slung about the shoulders of the soldier, is the light equipment for heavy, rapid marching now.
                        Chris
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                        [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

• Re: Knapsack Comfort

Mr. Boliver,

Are the straps to small for you? I know I had to adjust my straps to the last holes. If I had to carry my knapsack with a Great Coat on I would be in trouble, but I’ve heard that some of the venders have larger straps made just for the bigger reenactors. I have noticed when I carry my knapsack that each time I put it on it feels different. I know that sounds weird but its true. :confused_
                          [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

You may want to try and run a stick or small branch under the straps and threaded through the blanket roll straps. It keeps the blanket closer to the body and up high and you dont get that just about to fall over feel. May also help with the straps cutting in.
                            I am, etc.
                            Thomas Gingras
                            Awkward Squad Mess
                            Columbia Rifles
                            Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I am 6'1" and weigh about 205lbs, so were pretty similar in size. I have been to many events that required a lot of marching and used to experience the same cutting pain. I have found that the knapsack is not what cut into my shoulders, but rather the suspenders were causing the pain. I finally got some pants that fit and didn't need suspenders. The difference was noticeable. Yesterday I did a living history at a musuem for six hours and was fine. Some of my pards wear belts in lieu of suspenders for the same reason. Give it a try. I can't promise it will work for you, but it has helped me tremendously.

Andrew Pecquet
                              16th La "Walker Roughs"
                              [FONT="Garamond"][/FONT][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

Not to overlook the obvious, but to add...

Do you have 20 pounds of knapsack "contents," or like one lad I know- have a 70 pound knapsack that it takes two men to lift? ;-)

While adjusting the strap positions for the "optimum," or "cheating history" a bit by substituting longer straps for taller men, sometimes it just comes down to getting conditioned, hardened, and "used to" to the curse of "strap bite." :-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                                That Which Cannot Be Cured, Must Be Endured Mess
                                Curt Schmidt
                                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                                -Vastly Ignorant
                                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                                X