Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lined Blankets

I used a wool blanket lined with cotton sheeting for several years and it does help. Last spring I even slept through a nice little spring snowfall in California with nothing but blanket and overcoat (and uniform). The tight weave of the cotton helps to keep the wind from cutting through the blanket and the pocket of air between the cotton and wool provides extra insulation as well.

Keep in mind that If you do find yourself in really wet conditions it is best to roll up in your blanket with the cotton cloth on the outside. It will still block the wind but you need to use the wool to keep yourself warm and insullated from the wet cotton. Wrapping up in a cold wet sheet of cotton only serves to lower your tempurature further.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Excellent tip Troy.
      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
      1st California Co. F
      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

[QUOTE=vbetts]A couple of suggestions from Confederate newspapers:

4. Colored blankets are best, and if lined with brown drilling the warmth and durability are doubled, while the protection against dampness from lying on the ground is almost complete. . . .]

what is brown drilling? duck cloth? and I noticed on one of the other replies, cotton laps? what would those be?
        Jay Cantieri
        2nd Tennessee infantry Co.C
        Dirty Mucket Mess
        Blacksmith

Comment

• Re: knapsack vs. blanket roll

Tom,
          Regarding that famous "three Confederate Prisoners" picture, I have always wondered about the gear they are carrying. It seems to be like an inordinate amount of gear for July, and I've often wondered if upon becoming prisoners, (and newly shed of their rifle/cartridge boxes) if they didn't try and pick up equipment they thought might be useful at their final destination. Maybe one or more of them had been captured before and exchanged, and said "hey fellas, it's going to be cold where we're going." Just a thought. I'd love to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Andrew Jerram
          Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram

Comment

Andrew,
            We'll never know for sure, but I think you're right. That's what I would have done in their situation, anyway. And there were a lot of knapsacks lying around, that's for sure.
            -Joe Bordonaro
            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

I like both
              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
              Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
              Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
              6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
              150th Perryville - October 5-7
              Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

In my opinion, if I am going to an event that is going to be ridiculously warm, then I prefer a bedroll... because I am not planning on lugging much around for the weekend.

If its a colder event, I am all for the knapsack. You can add more warm clothes and then you can roll up your greatcoat when it gets warmer and sling it to the top of the pack. Also, mentioned before... you can string up a coffee pot or boiler in the straps.
                Guy W. Gane III
                Casting Director/Owner
                Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
                49th NYVI Co. B
                The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

I have always just rolled up my blanket, wrapped my ground cloth around it, tied it with with leather straps and used a piece of old horse saddle leather to fling it over my shoulder. It's homeade-cheap, comfortable (to me anyway) and maybe even done by a few resourcefull soldiers somewhere down through history.

works for me.....Jmartin
                  53rd GA

Comment

I like the knapsack. You can find your stuff easy and it makes a great pillow.

Rob Michael
                    Frockhead Mess

Comment

Wambaugh Sells them, check his out

John
                      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
                      Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
                      Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
                      6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
                      150th Perryville - October 5-7
                      Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

Definition of Drill- a strong, medium to heavy weight, 2X1 or 3X1 warp faced twill. Usually of cotton, it is similiar to denim-

Note this is not cotton sheeting but closer to a light canvas and probably exhibits some degree of water repellency

Other definitions of interest-

Cotton Twill. Twill is the name of a basic weave which can be executed in any type of sturdy yarn, natural or synthetic. The yarns float over two or more before passing under the next yarn; it is a progressed interlacing, tighter than satin, whereby a diagonal ribbed effect is created.

Osnaburg: a coarse, strong, plain weave, medium to heavy weight fabric, usually of cotton . Used for industrial purposes, drapery and upholstery.

Note this is not cotton sheeting but closer to a light canvas and probably exhibits some degree of water repellency.
                        Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Would using oilcloth be appropriate?? It would defintely be wind resistant, and waterproof ... would make a nice little "swag" as we say out here in the antipodes ...

Shannon
                          Shannon

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence
                            Would using oilcloth be appropriate??
                            Shannon,

During the course of your research into lined blankets, how many documented instances did you discover them to be lined with oilcloth?

At least you didn't ask "how popular?" ;)
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

oilcloth- see Ms. Betts post(post#2)in this thread for a reference to the practice.-
                              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                                Jim,
                                Hit the search button. There are several excellent threads on how to stay warm.
                                Try making the attached item...if you dare.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                                Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
                                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                                X