Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rifle Cleaning

Rules for the Management and Cleaning of the Rifle Musket, Model 1863

Can you direct me to where I can find a complete reprint of this text?
    Item BK2235 $10.00 Dixie Gun Works
    David Culberson
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Saw in the beginning of this thread where the poster was putting patches through the hole in his ramrod to dry his barrel. Must have been an enfield. A word of caution. I have seen several instances when using the precut patches which are somewhat thick, and putting them through the hole in the tulip, the ramrod head becomes stuck in the barrel due to the dryness and thickness of the patch. The end result is usually breaking the head of the ramrod off in the barrel while trying to muscle the ramrod out. I would advise against drying the barrel in this manner. Obtain and use the worm. I use a .50 cal worm if drying since it leaves more room in the barrel between the worm diameter and the ID of the barrel.

Of course if you do get it stuck when using the hole in the ramrod, try adding some water to the barrel and inserting the ramrod. The water will lubricate the patch enough to pull it free and then use the worm next time.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Duke,
        Thanks for the info.
        ---Ed
        Ed Hagins
        Death is the common lot of all and the diferance between dyeing to day and to morrow is not much but we all prefer to morrow.
        Private Thomas B. Barker, 2nd Maine, July 20, 1861

Comment

More words of caution, animal fats are not to be used on ferrous metals!. Period.

...or leather or wood or anything you value and want to last.

It (cured or rendered animal fat) is absoluty the worst enemy of any possession you have...other than a biscuit.

There is a line of thought in some British Conservation circles that mink oil used in combination with certain crystaline waxes can add life and time to historic leather.
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-11-2004, 04:54 PM. Reason: spellin' check
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Waylon,

In addition to the fine advice already submitted...

There are numerous period references regarding the soldiers' desire for gun oil; the two most commonly used (sent from home or purchased from the sutler) were mineral oil aka "armor oil" and "sweet" or olive oil. Avoid modern gun oils...stuff like Hoppe's #9 or Marvel Miracle Oil have unmistakably strong and modern odors.

To burnish the metal parts of their weapons, soldiers also needed some sort of abrasive. Sutlers carried large quantities of emory paper, but soldiers also used rotten stone, powdered brick, or even dirt or fine sand. The powdered materials were applied (sometimes mixed with oil or maybe even spit) and rubbed against the metal with rags, corncobs, or their gun sling.
            A refinement of this technique involved making a "buff stick". According to Charles Bowen of the 12th US, a buff stick consisted of a strip of buckskin or calfskin about 2 inches wide and 14 inches long. This was probably attached to a piece of lath in the manner of a razor strop and used to burnish the iron parts until as Sgt Bowen said, "...you can see your face in the lock plate, barrel, & in fact all the iron in sight."
            I'm not sure I can picture a soldier toting a buff stick on campaign, so it's probably more of a garrison gizmo for established camps.

John Tobey

Comment

Stillwagon: Rusty Rifle Tools

Mr. Stillwagon,
              I noticed you posted something about the proper implements for field care of a rifle. Since you are not available through messaging, this post is for you. I was curious, and this is also available to anyone as well, what items did soldiers carry to keep their rifle spic and span? It has always been a priority of mine to keep my weapon clean as part of first person, so to speak. Their rifle may have been the difference between life and death, the way I see it, and they were required, if not, personally prompted, to care for those weapons! I was put over the edge on the subject after reading Sam Watkins when he said, "Every soldier had to have his gun rubbed as bright as a new silver dollar."
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Re: Stillwagon: Rusty Rifle Tools

Sir,

This subject has been discussed previously. Typing "Rifle Cleaning" into the search feature of this forum brought up this discussion, Rifle Cleaning

Comment

Or here;

Here is another useful link;
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I have nothing to add to the information contained in those links.
                    John Stillwagon

Comment

Breaking down the Enfield Rifle Musket???

I have recently bought a used Enfield Rifle Musket. In wanting to make it fit with my impression a few steps are necessary to take. The first thing I would like to do is completely break it down to give it a good cleaning. The barrel has been taken off, but I cannot figure out how to remove the lock plate (safely and without damaging the rifle). HELP???? After I do this I plan to put a more natural finish on the rifle, by means of several of the other threads available. And of course as time and money permit, the best defarb jobs money can buy.

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Re: Breaking down the Enfield Rifle Musket???

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
                        I have recently bought a used Enfield Rifle Musket. In wanting to make it fit with my impression a few steps are necessary to take. The first thing I would like to do is completely break it down to give it a good cleaning. The barrel has been taken off, but I cannot figure out how to remove the lock plate (safely and without damaging the rifle). HELP???? After I do this I plan to put a more natural finish on the rifle, by means of several of the other threads available. And of course as time and money permit, the best defarb jobs money can buy.

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Here's what works for me. 1) With the barrel still on (because it provides a bit of support to the relatively thinned out area of the stock where the lock is and thus can help prevent the stock from cracking accidentally) and 2) with the hammmer at half-cock, 3) partially withdraw (unscrew) the lock screws. 4) Lightly tap them with something. Tap on the forward one, then tap on the rear one. Alternating. 5) Withdraw the screws a little further, repeat tapping. Pretty soon, the lock plate will be almost clear of the stock. 6) When you're confident you can then gently wiggle it free, remove the two lock screws entirely and 7) then grasp the hammer and gently remove the entire lock assembly. Don't take the lock down any further unless you know how to reassemble it. 8) A very light application of oil to the moving parts is fine. Less is more. 9) Then, withdraw the rammer, 10) remove the barrel bands, and lastly 11) withdraw the tang screw and 12) carefully dismount the barrel.

When you're finished with the barrel, 13) re-install it, 14) replace the barrel bands and 15) run the tang screw back in. Don't overtighten. 16) You can re-seat the rammer now too. Now the lock goes back on. Still at half-cock of course. 17) When re-installing the lock assembly, be careful to press it EVENLY back into its mortised-out area applying pressure with your fingers over both lockplate screwholes. 18) A small drop of oil on the threads of each lockplate screw is a good idea too. 19) Insert the lockplate screws and finger tighten, finishing with a screwdriver. Don't over-tighten them, they really shouldn't protrude at all beyond the face of the lockplate. Hope that helps.

Cordially,

Comment

Thanks,

Actually that really helps alot. Consider my questions answered.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          (Loblolly Mess)
                          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Several vendors carry a reprint of "Rules for the Management and cleaning of the Rifle Musket, Model 1863".

This small manual will teach you how to clean and maintain every aspect of your musket, whether it's a '42 Springfield, '61 Springfield, or Enfield.

It's one of the best investments I've made, and cheap, too.
                            Robert Carter
                            69th NYSV, Co. A
                            justrobnj@gmail.com
                            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Paul

Please note that the forward lockplate screw has a notch to clear the ramrod, said notch being marked with a dot on the screwhead. I didn't notice this at first and couldn't figure why my rammer wouldn't fit anymore, but then I'm not very bright.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG
                              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

field cleaning muskets

Hello all,
                                I am sure that this has been asked before, and I hope that I am not raked over the coals for asking this, but what it the proper way to clean the rust from the metal parts of the musket while on campaign? I know about using oil or fat to prevent rust from forming, and using campfire ash and water for scouring the metal if there is rust, but how do you go about doing this? Soak a rag in it? Been experimenting at home with this stuff and I want to make sure I do this right before I head out into the field again this season. I appreciate all of the help I've received on my other questions and would appreciate any and all comments on this one.

Sincerely,
                                Matthew Cassady
                                Pvt. 104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
                                [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
                                [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X