Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Accounts Thread

November 14, 1861

Wieneke: Thursday Nov 14 Camp 12 Cool all day with verry sharp wind Country for 5 miles this morning verry hilly and rough we traveled for 7 miles without seeing a house they have been having a verry large fire through here burning Barns &c we came 22 miles today a verry hard tramp for the Boys Camped on high ground without wood and must Carry water half mile

Cherry: Thursday, 14th. Resumed the march this morning at seven Oclock and marched thirty four miles and encamped on the open Pararie near the town of Dalmanutha” a small town of about one hundred inhabitants. This day was our hardest days march since leaving Iowa City. We got very hungry and called at housess along the road but there was not many to call at. Sometimes we would go ten miles without seeing a single habitation. The command was much scattered. It was about seven miles from the advance to the rear Guard and the teams and men scattered all the way between them. I and Seargant Trask and Lut Schell Samuell Waldron Jos Crouse Ed Pinney and S. B. Zimmerman fell back to the rear and made up our mind that we would call at the first house we came to and get our supper. So when we came to a station called Bear Grove Station and we went in and asked if we could get our supper there. There was no one at home but the Ladies and they hesitated at first and then said if we would wait until they cooked it we could have some. Lut Schell asked them how long it would take them to get it up. They said about an hour. O says Schell we will wait of course. After we had been there a short time and begun to talk about the war we found that we was talking to a lot of sescisionsts. They said it was good enough for us that we did not get enough to eat and that if we was fools enough to go to the war let us take what we could get. She said she had a son in the Iowa fourth Regt and he was a fool and hoped that he was getting the same fare as we was. This raised our dander a little and Trask told her about what he thought of her and the south. She said she would like to see all the officers in the northern army hung. Says I you had better look out how you talk says I there is one of our Officers at the same time pointing toward Schell. She looked arround at him and sneeringly said, Oh he is a little young thing I would not be afraid of him myself. This raised a perfect roar and rather took down the Lutennant. Well after supper was ready and on the table we sat up without much cerimony and commenced to lay away the provisions at a fearfull rate. We did not take off our hats or caps canteens Haversacks or any thing. We eat everything that they had cooked in the house and after the table was swept clean and we all set back Trask who was sitting up to the table knawing a Bone of Beefe said dont quit boys because I have eat hearty. I am just beginning to get hungry. We then paid them our twenty cents apiece and expressed a wish that our army would come out victorious. We then went on in the direction of camp which was about two miles off. We arrived there about an hour after dark. The tents was all up and supper cooked and we sat down and eat another supper in camp and for once I was satisfied. When we arrived in camp we found that the men was much dissatisfied about the way they had been treated and said they had not half enough to eat for supper after marching 34 miles and thought it was rather rough. This day we did not get a bit of dinner only what we begged any thing and was of course allmost starved when we got any thing and was of course allmost starved when we got to camp at dark and had to make a supper out of two Slap Jacks a piece of beefe about as large as a potato and some poor coffie. Was this not a shame? I think so at least.

Map so Far.png
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

November 15, 1861

Wieneke: Friday Nov 15th Camp No. 12 Traveled 18 miles and Camped //on [blank space] Creek a pleasant place the road this day was verry Rough up and down hill the boys went out this evening and found a Bee Tree and brought in about 40# of Honey Baked Bread until 12 oclock P.M. had a verry bad Head ache all day and still the toothache the weather purety cold this night. it friezes the Dough stiff for us. a hard life

Cherry: Friday, 15th. Resumed our march this morning at eight Oclock and marched twenty miles and encamped on Turkey Creek in a fine boddy of timber the men very tired and the command much scattered the advance and rear Guards being about five miles apart. I started this morning with the front of the command and at night came in with the rear Guard. I and Seargent Trask fell back on purpose. When we got back to whare the rear Guard was we found that they was about five miles behind the command and was driveing three small hogs along with them that would weigh about 60 pounds apeice and was as fat as butter. I asked the corprall of the Guard what they was going to do with them hogs. Oh says he we are going to have some pork. Says Trask that is right we are in for that. O says some of the Boys you will report us. No says I I wont do no such a thing. I asked them if they was going to kill them. They said they was so when we got down in a hollow out of sight we loaded a gun and shot two of them and skined them cut them up into small peices and divided it arround amongst the six. Guards and Trask and I got all our Haversack could hold. We brought it into camp and I knew I was to be Seargant of the Guard that night and I told Trask that I would get the cook to cook ours after they had all gone to sleep so we hid it in our tent untill they had all gone to sleep and I took it out and the cook cooked it for me and I carried it and put it into the tent for Breakfast and you bet we had a good Breakfast of fresh Pork that morning besides giving the two cooks all they could eat. But our good fortune did not end here. Five of the boys were out in the woods hunting squrils and came across a bee tree and about a barrell of honey in it. They came into camp and told me about it and wanted to know if I would let them out in the night to get it. Yes I told them I would pass them out. When Co. B. Guards was put on I took the two men who had two Buckets apeice to the Guard Beat No. 1. and told the guard who was a good fellow to let these men go out and come in when they wanted to and told him what they was after and they went out and brought in four Buckets full of honey and set it in the cook waggon and you better believe I had all that I could eat that night I and one of the cooks sat up and stole flour out of the commissary waggon and baked Flap Jacks and eat them and honey until we was nearly ready to bust and when I went to go the rounds I took a large peice of honey and gave a large peice to each Guard. This rather pleased them and no wonder. And another good Joke took place that night. When the Boys brought up the Honey they set a pan full of it just inside of the Captains tent. The Captain went to go out early in the morning and in a great hurry to and he steped right into the pan of honey with his stocking feet. When he came out to the Guard fire whare I was sitting he held up his foot to the light of the fire and says Cherry what in the world did I get into in the tent there. At the same time the honey was all over his foot. I roared out laughing for I could not help it. Oh says he you rascles are trying to get me into a scrape. As soon as I could quit laughing I explained it to him and he laughed as hard as I did at him and said it was a good Joke on him and the honey. The next morning we all had honey to eat on our cakes which was a rare treat to us you had better believe.

Map so Far.png
      Bob Welch

My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

November 16, 1861

Wieneke: Sat Nov 16th 1861 Camp No. 13 morning verry cold and windy Started and went 17 miles Camped 1 ½ miles East of the village of Louis [sic. Lewis] and [Nishnabotna] Creek. commenced Sleating as we went into Camp the tent wagon of Co C went ahead and it was 5 oclock [when] it Came back to Camp we had hard times to Cook supper The Slap Jacks were wet and like Dough no difference how long we baked them. this is a new side to Camp life, and a hard one. If we were only in the fort it would be all right then everry tooth in my mouth is sore and aching and has been for a week or more. I went into a store in the town of Lewis this afternoon and it was so warm it made my head ache right away I could not stand it. did not wash the dishes this evening as it was so wet. it is a little cold this evening but I do not feel it I have got so much used to the Cold I do not think I could stand it in a house with a fire now it would do as it did to me this evening in that store Went to bed at 8 oclock this eve

Cherry: Saturday, 16th. Left camp at Turkey Creek this morning at seven Oclock and [marched] twenty miles and reached Lewis, Cass County, and found it a very pretty town with a population of about five hundred. It has two stores two Hottels one drug store one crockrey store one Methodest Church a fine building one Drs Office Post Office a courthouse one Blacksmith Shop one large waggon Shop and paint and repairing establishment. About one fourth of a mile from town runs a stream about as large as Black Creek in N. y called the Nitchenie Bottemy and on it is a large flouring mill in good order and a good run of business. At this place there is a splinded Bridge over the stream the best one I have seen since I left Iowa City. The Buildings in Lewis are very nice ones. They are all painted white that are of wood with nice yards and doreyard fences and in fact it is a very pretty town. There is a great many of the houssess are made of red sand stone which makes the finest looking house I ever saw. It is as red as paint and are cut perfectly square and nice. I think our land that is near there will prove a good investment at some future time. I was in both stores and they was both crowded with customers from the county. The population of the county is about 200 I believe. This is what they told me at that place. The country arround there is high rolling Paraire the fineist I ever have seen since I came to Iowa without exception. It is ahead of the Pararie where you live but I am afraid that timber will be very scarce in that part of the state for I did not see but little near there but perhaps it is not so scarce as I think perhaps I did not get a good view of the country. It is only 45 miles from Council Bluffs. There is a good road leading from Lewis to that Place and is travled a great deal. The night we encamped here it rained and stormed all night but we was in the timber which protected us a good deal our tents was very warm and did not leak any at all and we enjoyed as good a nights rest as ever I did in my life.

Map so Far.png
        Bob Welch

Comment

November 17, 1861

Wieneke: Sunday Nov 17th 1861 got up at 2 Oclock and went to work. baked and cooked and started at Half past Sevon the roads were bad being wet and frozen went 25 miles this day and camped on the west side of [blank space] creek the day was verry pleasant if the roads had only been good. expect to get into Council Bluffs tomorrow I am very anxious to get there so that I can hear from home I have been verry homesick this day . . .

Cherry: Sabath, 17th. Resumed the march this morning at eight Oclock and marched twenty five miles and encamped on the west Nitchenie Bottomey the men very tired and lame and suffering greatly from sore feet I among the rest. My feet was so sore that I could hardly walk at all but I took my time and got into camp about an hour after the rest of the command was in. Our dinner consisted of two hard crackers and plenty of creek watter. While we was in camp at this place one of our commissary waggons caught fire and burned the cover all off of it and in trying to put it out the men distroyed about two hundred pounds of Flour. When the fire broke out about twelve Oclock at night the Guards gave the alarm and every one was calling out fire fire and of all the climbing I ever saw that beat all. Sometimes five or six would go out of a tent dore all at once and land in a pile at the out side for we all thought that the high grass had got on fire and was comming into our camp and we knew if this was the case our tents was a goner for the grass was as high as my head and as dry as powder and our camp was in the midst of it. After the fire was put out it was fun to look at the men some of them had nothing but their shirts on some had their pants on and one Boot others had only their drawers. I tell you I had a good laugh over it to think how they got out of their tents. If the enimy had a come in at this time they could not have told us from a set of Indians. We are now only twenty five miles from Council Bluffs. We expect to go through to there to morrow if we have good weather.

Map so Far.png
          Bob Welch

Comment

November 18, 1861

Wieneke: Monday Nov 18th 1861 this morning was waked up by the Cry of fire fire The Co B Comissary Wagon is on fire why in the Hell don’t you holler fire, and other such cries as the above one I was out of the wagon in less time than I ever went out before the wagon was all lit up I sprung for it and pulled up the cover then I pulled at the potato bag but it came out in pieces the Bean bag did the same flour Coffee, Beans potatoes and every thing else was mixed up we pulled out about 300# of flour 16# of Coffee 11 ½ Bush potatoes peck of Beans and//some other things [several words illegible] we scouped them out on the ground and put out the fire when I happened to think that my feet were burned and verry cold Started on and marched on 23 miles

Cherry: Monday, 18th. Resumed the march this morning at seven and a half Oclock and marched 25 miles and encamped on Mosquto Creek two miles from the Bluffs. The men allmost gave out to day. We had only two crackers a Slap Jack and a small piece of pork and a cup of coffie for Breakfast and no dinner at all. The men was much enraged at this kind of useage and a great deal of swearing was done you had better believe. Co. B. again refused to march in ranks and the whole command was much scatred. It was about five miles from the advance to the rear. I started at the head of the company in the morning and came in about five or six miles behind with the rear guard. I and the Guard stoped at a house and got our supper and got a good one to as it was thought such by us at that time. Pattee went ahead into the Bluffs and said he would have some bread in camp in time for supper so we trudged along with the expectation of getting a good supper at night but when we arrived at our camp Pattee was not there and had not been there or the Bread either. The indignation of the men knew no bounds and we all declared openly before our Officers and Pattees Officers all so that we would never leave that camp until we was better provided for. Well we went to work and pitched our tents and waited for our Bread until after dark and it did not come so we went to work again allmost dead as we was to cook our slap Jacks and at it we went. Our Captain came arround and says he now deal out flour to these men untill they are satisyed if it takes all there is in the waggon and we had all the Slap Jacks we could eat that night and if it had not been for our good old Capt we would have fared worse then we did for he done all in his power to make things comfortable for us. It was not his blame that we did not get enough to eat no indeed. Some do not like Capt Mahanna but I do and the more I see of him the more I like him and there is not a man in this company but loves him. His enimies are among the cowardly stay at homes not among the soldiers that he has the honor to command. Let any man speak a word disrespectful of Captain Mahanna before one of Co. B. and he might as well slander the person himself it would not be resented any sooner. Pattee did not come into camp that night at all so much for his word. We did not find the people of Council Bluffs very patriotic. They treated us soldiers very cool indeed but we did not ask any odds of them you may rest ashured of that fact.

Map so Far.png
            Bob Welch

Comment

November 19, 1861

Wieneke: Tuesday Nov 19th went into town this morning and got a letter from my wife the child has been unwell the rest are all well came back and brought 100 of Corn meal with me that I Bought there. about 3 oclock it turned up verry stormy the wind viered around from South to north-west and it rained until about 8 oclock in the evining when it cleared up it is purety cold now

Cherry: Tuesday, 19th. Stil in camp at the Bluffs. Went up town to day expecting to get a letter from home but was disapointed. Come back to camp and wrote two letters to Iowa City one to Father I believe and one to Miss Ella S— and allso wrote a communication to the [illegible] News and to Miss Starks. I thought if I could not receive any letters I would wright some at any rate. We was still expecting to get a boat to take us up the river but was disapointed for Pattee came down into camp to night and said we could not get any and we would be obliged to go on foot to the Fort. This was a stunner I tell you and the men went allmost mad about it and all said they would fight before they would go on foot until they was better provided for.

Map so Far.png
              Bob Welch

Comment

November 20, 1861

Wieneke: Wednesday Nov 20 Clear this morning but a little cold got up at about half past 4 oclock and cooked breakfast the day was verry pleasant. staid in camp all day cooked dinner at half past 3 this evening. . . . no news from home am verry anxious to hear from home again how my Dear wife and children are if I only had them near enough to see them once every day I would be satisfied but it cannot be. the men are all verry much Dissatisfied with Pattee and getting more so all the time . . .

Cherry: Still in camp at the Bluffs. The men are thretening to stack arms if they are ordered to leave here without an asurance of being better provided for. Co. C is as bad as Co. B. and say they will stand by us in any thing we may do
                Bob Welch

Comment

Today a new set of letters enters the conversation. Because of a research trip earlier this week, I acquired page copies of letters written by Corporal Martin A. Lambert of Company B. Born in New York, Martin farmed and taught school in Iowa City until his enlistment in the regiment.

November 21, 1861

Cherry: 21st. Resumed the march to day at twelve Oclock and marched ten miles and encamped on Pigeon Creek ten miles north of Council Bluffs and two miles north of Crescent City a small Mormon Settlement of about three hundred inhabitants. When we received the Order to march Co A and C struck their tents and made preparations to start but Co B was not to be deceived any farther. We was told that Pattee had hired six more teams and had loaded them with provisions but we told them if we saw the waggons with the provisions in them we would beleive it and go on and not untill then so we did not toutch a tent or one thing of our baggage. Every thing in our part of the camp looked as if we was going to remain there all winter, while Co A & C tents was all loaded their baggage all in the waggons their knapsacks on their guns in their hands all ready for a start. We laughed at them and asked them if they was traveling or going some place. They replyed that they intended to obey orders we might call it what we pleased. We replyed that we intended to obey all reasonable commands but we would not go any further without any thing to eat that we would fight there first. This silenced them and we sat arround taking our ease not a tent moved not an article of Baggage toutched or a team hitched up and we was waiting to see how it would terminate. While we was thus waiting Capt Pattee came down with the extra teams loaded as had been said with eatables and Co. B. went to work with a right good will to striking their tents and loading their Bagage and took their arms from the stacks fell into line and reported themselves ready for duity and we went on in the faithfull and cheerefull discharge of our duity but if those provisions had not came at that time we would not have started an inch until they did come we had made up our mind on that and was determined on that point. We fared very well from there to this place. We got all we could eat and that which was good to. The day we left the Bluffs we passed through the Out Skirts of the town. As we was passing allong I and the Orderly Seargant was walking along togather we had our overcoats on and [they] was rather [heavy]. Says he let us fall back and put our coats on the waggons. Well says I I dont care if we do. I am rather [tired]. So we halted and put our overcoats on the waggon. Then says the Orderly let us go allong slow here and call at some house and get our dinner. Well says I I am in for that evry time. So we come along to a neat little white cottage and called in and asked for our dinner. The Lady of the house said we could have the best she had cooked in the house which was not very good. We sat up and eat our dinner which was very good (but I have got just as good at home before now) and while we was eating the rear Guard went past and we sit still and sliped them very neatly and had things our own way the rest of the day and took it slow and easey and kept about five miles behind the command. We did not get into camp untill after dark and got a ride with a kind old farmer for two or three miles at that. When I got in camp the boys was cooking their supper at the camp fires but I was not very hungry and did not pay much atention to them. I went up to the tent and got out my note Book and took down the incidents of the day. When it was time for roll call I went out and answered to my name. I thought this was all but when the guard was detailed and the Seargant anounced that Seargant Pumphrey would be Seargant of the Guard but he reported himself sick and could not act. When the Orderly turned arround to me and said you will be seargant of the Guard to night. Says I all right so I took the Guard and reported them to Lut Schell who was Officer of the day. After the first releif was mounted a load of provisions for Pattees family came into camp and was unloaded in a pile by themselves and Pattee came to me and told me to take one Guard off the beat and lengthen the others out and place him over this load of provissions. I done as he directed and put the man at his post to Guard these articles amongst which was two Barrells of crackers one of which had no head in. When Co. B. Guards came on duity it came so that an old fellow by the Name of McCart was placed at this post and he being rather sharp on the track of eateables discovered the crackers, and when I came round in going the rounds he called out to me and says, Seargant do you know what is in these Barrells. Says I no I dont know what they contain. Says he come here and see. So up I went and there was a Barrell of crackers with the head out. You bet we lived high that night. I eat all I could and took enough into the tent for our breakfast. I told every guard that was on that post that night and they had plenty to eat you may rest ashured. That might was very cold and windy and once along towards morning I went the rounds again. When I came to the beat whare Ed Pinney was he was not to be found. I called out to him and found him down behind a waggon out of the wind. Says he it is so cold up there I thought I would get down here out of the wind. Says I all right stay there if you can get out of the wind. It is all right. The next Beat was Archie* and the next ones was German McCardles. When I got up to theirs I found them seting down in the tall grass out of the wind smokeing. The next ones was W McCaddons and I found him down on annother mans beat by a fire warming himself. He asked if it was any harm for him to go down there to warm. Says I I dont think it is any harm to warm yourself such a night as this at least I mean to warm if I can and you are a fool if you dont do so to.

Martin: Thursday 21st – Resumed the march at 1 o’clock and marche 10 miles and camped two miles north of Crescent City near a small creek. The men very angry at having to go on foot and being marched so far around the country. They threatened to stack arms. The night very cold. Guard suffering severely standing in the wind.

Map so Far.png
                  Last edited by J. Donaldson; 11-21-2019, 12:17 PM.
                  Bob Welch

Comment

November 22, 1861

Cherry: Friday, 22nd. Resumed the [march] this morning at eight Oclock and marched twenty miles and encamped at Calhoun a small town in Harrison County. This day was very cold and windy. I and Seargeant Trask fell back and took our time. The rear Guard over took us and we went on to gather for a mile or two and we concluded that we would disband the Guard and call and get our supper at some house along the road. So when we came to a house we all stoped ten of us and asked if we would get our supper. They said we could and set to work preparing it and a very good supper it was to. I will tell you what we had the pleasure of putting out of sight that night at that kind old farmers house. We had Buckwheat Cakes Sorgum warm buiscut hot corn bread butter roast Beefe coffie shugar cream potatoes and all the trimmings that was needed to set it off to a good advantage. After we had finished eating we offered to pay for our meal but not one cent would they take. The old Grey hared man of the house said all he asked of us was to be good boys do our duity as soldiers and maintain the good name and honor of Iowa. We ashured him that we would try and do this and thanked him kindly and started on in the direction of camp which was about two miles distant. When we arrived there we found the boys hard at work cooking their supper of Slap Jacks and Beefe. The camp was in a wheat feild near a large pile of straw which provided us with good bedding. We filled our tents neerly half full and banked the tent up on the out side about half way to the top which made them very warm and we slept soundly all night.

Martin: Friday 22nd – Resumed the march at 8 o’clock and marched 20 miles and camped on a creek and straw stack. We supplied ourselves with straw which we always did when we could get it.

Map so Far.png
                    Bob Welch

Comment

November 23, 1861

Cherry: Saturday, 23rd. Resumed the march this morning at seven Oclock and marched fifteen miles and encamped near the town of Little Sioux a small town situated on Little Sioux river. Its population is about three hundred. The day was very windy and none of the companies pretended to march in any kind of order at all. We walked behind and at the side of the waggons in order to be protected from the wind. When we was cooking our Breakfast the wind blew a perfect gale and blew our Batter full of straw and ashes and all manner of dirt and when the cakes was baked there was more straw and ashes in it than there was flour but we did not care for that for it made more cakes and any thing to get more to eat. We did not care if it was half dirt. When we started and got up in town I called at a saloon and got a good drink of Brandy and I am not ashamed to own it either. I needed something to stimulate me on such a cold morning as that and was determined to have it to and felt relieved after I had it.

Martin: Saturday 23rd – Resumed our march at 7 o’clock and marched 15 miles and camped in the timber near the town of Little Sioux. Very windy and cold. The wind in our faces.

Map so Far.png
                      Bob Welch

Comment

November 24, 1861

Cherry: Sabath, 24th. Left camp at eight Oclock and marched eighteen miles and encamped two miles south of the town of Onawa a small town. The population I should think was about three hundred. It was a very pretty town the finest little town we have seen since we left Lewis. The day was well observed by the men and we had a very quiet and pleasant march no singing or hurahing or any thing to mar the pleasure of the holy sabath day, this is I think a credit to us as soldiers.

Martin: Sunday 24th– Left camp at 8 o’clock, marched five miles and camped near the town of Omaha at 3 o’clock. Had a very quiet and pleasant march, the day being well observed by the men. Today we started on a forty mile prairie, the road perfectly level, but few houses on the road. The river on one side about four miles from the road, the bluffs on the other about ten miles distant and on either side of the road high grass which gives it a very wild appearance.

Map so Far.png
                        Bob Welch

Comment

November 25, 1861

Wieneke: Monday Nov 25th Started at 7 Oc ahead of the train with Lieut Leuse and went on to Soux City 46 miles and got in the City at half past 7 oclock and stopped at the Heagy house got a good Supper I wish I could only get a letter from home then I would be all right.

Cherry: Monday, 25th. Resumed the march this morning at seven Oclock and marched twenty miles. We marched all the forenoon without seeing a single dwelling after leaving Onawa. We halted at a house for to eat our dinner and in so doing drank the mans well dry which he did not thank us for but after we had the watter we did not care for his thanks. I bought some butter and honney at this place which we eat with a great deal of . . .

Martin: Monday 25th Left camp at 8 o’clock, marched eighteen miles and camped on the open prairie. Nothing of importance transpired during this day’s march.

Map so Far.png
                          Bob Welch

Comment

November 26, 1861

Wieneke: Tuesday Nov 26th 61 this morning it looked like rain and about 12 oclo it commenced by 3 PM the wind viered round to the northwest and began to get Cold men came in stragling by 3 s or 4s at once this evening it is verry cold more so than any day since we started the old horse is not well had to trade off a pair of goggles to get him some medidne as I did not have a cent of money at five Oclock started with the team and flour and took it around to the different houses to have it baked

Martin: Tuesday 26th – Left camp at 7 o’clock in good spirits, thinking this day would bring us to Sioux City when we would be back on the direct road from Iowa City to Randall. We did reach Sioux City about 4 o’clock and if ever I thought of freezing on the prairie in my life, it was when we were marching that last five miles. The wind and snow coming direct in our faces, the wind so strong we sometimes could not move. When we came into camp our “Commander in Chief” declared the boys should have no straw to lie on. Our Captain hearing this, told him we, or at least Company B should have straw if he had to buy it himself. He here told the Commander that he would deprive the soldiers of everything, even the victuals as he had done for the purpose of putting money in his own pocket. In a short time the straw came, through our Captain’s means and it added greatly to our comfort, keeping us from the snow and frozen ground.

Map so Far.png
                            Bob Welch

Comment

November 27, 1861

Wieneke: Wednesday Nov 27 the train Started at 1 1 A. M. leaving 1 team and several men at town myself amongst the rest to get what Bread the women had baked for us we waited until 3 Oc when we started . . . . we went around and gathered Bread until 6 oclock when we started out with about 600 lbs the teamster who was an Irishman got so drunk this afternoon that we left him in a Stable when we Started for the Bread and he only Caught up when we had started, still stupid we drove out on a verry rough road over bluffs as rough as any we have been on yet — and got off of the road — when we were about 4 miles off from town and Sargent Trask and myself went ahead and hunted until we got to the ferry when we had to go back for the team headed by the ferryman and got into Camp at 9 Oclock. . . .

Cherry: Wednesday, 27th. Left Sioux City at eleven Oclock and marched five miles and crossed Sioux River on a ferry and encamped for the first time in Dakota. When we all got safely across we looked back perhaps some of us for the last time upon Iowa. We then struck up and sang Oh aint I glad to get out of the Willderness. This day we encamped on the same ground that Gen Harney camped on when he was comeing out to build this fort here. He had a fight with the Indians and killed many of them and allso lost some of his own men. We could see some traces of his camp and the fight yet when we was there. This day I had the honor to command Co. B. Every other Officer was up in town at the time the Order was given to march but myself and Corpral Snook so all we had left to do was to make the best of it so he went with the advanced Guard and I marched the company out to Sioux River. Our Capt and Luts did not get in until after dark in fact I had the whole command of things and got allong with it finely to. While I was at Sioux City I received a letter from Father written in answer to the one I wrote from Marengo. This was thankfully received and read with pleasure. Lutenant Luse got the mail for our company but mine was not in that package and after supper I started up town to see if mine was not there for Jos Crouse told me at the Bluffs that his father had wrote to him that Father had wrote to me and directed to Sioux City but before I got to the Office I met McCart who had my letter. You bet I was pleased. I went back to camp and answered it immediatly. I wrote in the Captains tent whare I allways went when I wanted to wright out of the noise. To night the grass got on fire and caused another alarm and got every man out of his tent about twelve Oclock at night. You bet I did not go out of the tent and warm bed. I thought when the tent began to smoke would be time enough to deprive my self of a good warm nest. The men was in the best of spirrits thinking that they was allmost at their journeys end being only one hundred and thirty miles from Fort Randall.

Map so Far.png
                              Martin: Wednesday 27th – At 12 o’clock the weather having moderated, we resumed our march and went five miles and camped in the Territory of Dakota on the same ground that General Harney fought with the Indians and killed a great many of the red faces some few years previous.

[The battalion is now on the Military Road, the land route from Sioux City to Fort Randall.]

- - - Updated - - -

Sioux City
                              November 27, 1861
                              Dear Parents:
                              We arrived here in this city last evening and expected to stay here until tomorrow, but the orders now are to march inside of an hour, and all I can say is that we are all enjoying ourselves very well. Only 150 miles more to march before we reach the Fort. We have marched already 400. One hundred miles out of our way by way of Council Bluffs, expecting to take a boat from said place to the Fort but the river being low and so late in the season we could not. Therefore, we are stepping it off slowly. Yesterday we marched about thirty miles and the last five I thought were tedious enough as it snowed and also blew a tremendous gale, and in our faces, which made it worse. I being Corporal of the Rear Guard came in last about two miles in the rear. The weather today is quite moderate, and we are in hopes it will remain so until we reach the Fort, which will be in about eight days, where we will have a good quarters and a comparative peace for the winter. One of the Regulars, who has been at the Fort five years, has enlisted in our Company at this place and is going with us. He gives us great encouragement by telling we have a fine place at the Fort, which news we are all glad to hear. I received a letter from D. Cleveland yesterday. He had received one from Aaron. They are both well and all the rest of the people.
                              You direct to Fort Randall and I will write you as often as I have the opportunity to do so. The mails runs to and from the Fort every other day, going one day and coming the next. We are going to march with loaded guns being ready for any emergency.
                              The Indians are very troublesome. They have challenged the Regulars to fight but, on hearing of our arrival or expecting to be with them, they have not shown themselves, except a few here in Sioux City who are out ____ killing some whites. The Western settlers, many of them, are being left scalped on account of the red faces.
                              No more at present. If I have the good luck to reach the Fort alive and well, I will write you again as soon as we reach the happy land of Canaan.
                              Yours in haste,
                              L. A. Martin
                              Bob Welch

Comment

November 28, 1861

Cherry: Thursday, 28th. Resumed the march this morning at seven Oclock and marched only fifteen miles and went into camp at Elk Point. The reason of our going into camp here was this. A severe snow storm set in when we had gone about five miles and of all the storms I ever saw this was the worst. We could hardly keep our feet at all the wind was blowing a perfect hurricane and the snow was coming in perfect blinding sheets and in one sollid mass. Besides this it was very cold and the men nearly froze. The wind was directly in our faces. We halted at noon and got all up in a crowd behind an old log house and stood and eat our peice of bread which was froze as hard as a stone. It was so hard that we had to break the loaves apart over the waggon wheels when dealing it out such was our diner that day. We went on however without saying a word for no one was to blame for it being cold. I and several of the boys called at a house and got all the Bread and milk we could eat. This reminded me of home again. When we got to Elk Point station Pattee gave orders to go into camp that it was to bad for men to march such a day as that. We had intended to march thirty miles that day but the storm stoped us at fifteen the snow was about six inches deep and we scraped the snow away with a shovle and set our tents and got some Buckwheat straw for our beds. We built large camp fires out of logs which was plenty. We made a large fire right at the dore of our tent and there was a Guard fire right behind it so we slept as sound as ever I could wish to. We had a good supper that night in camp and you bet it was relished.

Martin: Thursday 28th – Left Camp Harney at 8 o’clock and marched seventeen miles over level country, no timber this day. It snowed and at night there was about three inches on the ground. A scarcity of provisions this day as usual, and a very few houses. The Commander having a guard placed at a house while the troops were camping to keep them from rushing in to satisfy their hunger. Yes, he went so far as to guard the wells to keep the men from getting water, stating to them that they should fill their “canteens” in the morning before they start. It was so cold we could not carry it without freezing and the boys would have water and he could not help and they could not help themselves. I might say here that there never was a man who had charge of any men who so completely and unanimously hated by them as Captain Pattee, our commanding officer.

Map so Far.png
                                Bob Welch

Comment

Working...
                                X