Recon III Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recon III Feedback

I was struck by the number of relative newcomers to the hobby who attended the event. I was in Co. E, 7th Maine, and there were two or three "fresh fish" who had never been to a campaign event; another handful had only been to one or two such events. These gentlemen performed their duty admirably. I commend them for their efforts, and wish them the best in continuing their CPH experience in the future.

I also salute the battalion command staff, the company commanders, the NCOs who looked after their men, the boys who gave their all to keeping in first person, and to every man who toughed it out on Saturday night to finish the event. Because of your efforts, I left feeling as though I had been part of a disciplined, veteran fighting force. My heart swelled with pride and comradeship as we marched out singing. Thank you.

John Christiansen
    33rd Wisconsin
    John Christiansen
    SGLHA
    PLHA

Comment

Mr. Schwieterman:
      I agree wholeheartedly with your holistic approach to the hobby.
      -Get the gear.
      -Get the knowledge ( read!!)
      -Get the attitude.
      -Get with the program.
      -Get out there.
      David Culberson
      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

"Because of your efforts, I left feeling as though I had been part of a disciplined, veteran fighting force. My heart swelled with pride and comradeship as we marched out singing. Thank you."

I cannot adequately convey how much this part of the experience meant to me. Our bugler, Mr. Villanueva, was instructed to bring the battalion to the attention and step coming in the last couple hundred yards to registration late Sunday morning. There had been singing in the ranks as we marched out of the event. When the battalion came to the shoulder, officers drew sabres and Mr. Villanueva toodled a series of martial airs, the feeling, the sound and the image was indescribable. I hope everyone participating in the hobby gets just such an opportunity and a sensation.

Were we not there? Did it not seem real?
        Last edited by DukeRPSC; 05-03-2004, 01:31 PM.
        David Culberson
        The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Reading all the great AAR's that have been posted so far has now got me even more fired up for the big event upcoming here in the Western Theater. I'm of course talking about Pickett's Mill which is just a few weeks away. Ticks, rain, mud and hunger...man I can't wait! Great attitudes and great impressions, that's what it's all about.
          Mike Randles
          The Beloved Ruth Smythers Mess

Comment

First I would like to thank the boys from the Stonewall Brigade. Thanks for letting us fall in with you.I believe a good time was had by all.I would also like to thank Mr Stiles and Mr Stidley for a job well done.Ill fight under you fellers any day.I thought the event was great. Two things that stand out in my mind. The first was Saturday morn after we had managed to somehow get through that mess of briars ,mud,stumps ,sticks and some of the thickest woods Ive every seen.As gunfire erupted on our left we finally managed to spot the yanks and as the gray line moved forward we pressed em and the rebel yell was given and the boys stepped up .I looked down the line to see the flag being waved in the smoke.It was awesome. I dont know how it look from the yanks view but to me this was one of those moments that you dont forget.I must say I was a little disapointed because right after that the whistle blew.I thought we were pushing the yanks pretty good at that point and it was just getting good. The second was at one point in the battle when the yanks were pressing our breast works on the left and reinforcements were needed. We were on the far right and it had become a mess with fellers from different companies plugging holes along the line.No one was in command of us as the privates kept up the fire and plugged holes.The colonel came running down to where we were yelling and grabed a corporal and put him in charge and he formed up a quick and I mean quick company and ran to the far left where we plugged the hole and then charged the yanks.My hats off to the colonel and the corporal.Good job.All in all I felt the event was great.The only think being that I must have misunderstood how the tactical would run.Thats my fault.I thought it might be like some of the ones Ive attended in the past. Where it just plays out. I really didnt like the whistle and stopping just as it seemed to be getting hot but like I said that was my fault for not knowing.Like to say my hats off to all that stayed .Your tuff as nails.I bugged out at dark and yes it was a long march back.I had had enough. I didnt even know earlier in the week if I would make ITW because of leg injury but somehow my pards pushed me through that far.Thanks.One last thing. As we left the woods and marched down the dark road, muddy, tired, soaked,misrable, it was then I realize that to me ITW was about pards.Thanks pards.
            Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
            "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Comment

Just impressions of Into the Whistle from a rank and file

Our company sometimes in twos sometimes singularly, moved through second growth in reserve of the main line with no more than 30 yards of sight.. The same wild flowers that must of been present, The little things count more now At one point walking over bones, a hip and spine half buried in last seasons leaves. Losing the main body but hearing the firing, smoke rolling through the trees. Suddenly the whole line is in view and the Yankees like we rolled them right up, Capturing a Rooster, said he had to let his captain know, I thought I think we bagged him too, I said well just go yank I am not in the mood to go find the rear in this maze. I let the rooster go.
              Found a old regular Army pal during the truce,, we've both gotten grayer since them days. Didn't know the Rooster was his at the time.

Later being ordered to aggressively patrol the muddy road to a point where a huge fallen tree blocked it, My comrades found no pickets and realized the enemy had stacked and sat with flank in the air and per orders we pitched in to them. First time I've ever been applauded by my fellow Civil War sufferers. We retreated amazed and confused, growling in general. Reporting back to the colonel this strange occurrence. I didn't care I just wanted to get prone.
              Finding well made breast works and a cordon stakes on the perimeter, Boys had been busy while we toyed with the strangers.
              Starting a desperately needed coffee fire only to sent back out to man that great log in the muddy road. Half the brigade following me now since I am the poor sap that knows the way. The Lt didnt believe me i had half the brigade with me when i got there. They pitched into a body of those folks just beginning an attack. We did a fighting retreat leap froging companies. Till some one blew a whistle. Time out. Guess we didn't give up Virginia fast enough to suit some people Filed back to the breast works and thought nice spot for the night. Come and get us Billy. Laid around long enough to dry the shirt off and pack up is sounded. I have no life with out the army.
              Typically after marching more we set up the coops and gather wood in a steady rain. This going to be a long night .No one seemed to be in the mood to refortify. Along dark once again our company is sent out to patrol. Some thought it better than sitting in a wet muddy hovel.
              I coffee cooled and dried by company L's fire realized just how far away from home i was, hungry wet, A fife melody in the rain is a wonderful thing.

The boys played with the strangers some more and got a bit bewildered, Gone longer than they should been Told the bugler Piston, sound the recall boy. from the comfort of my small dry space, that's your dad out there. they came back to flooded homes. But a great bonfire

I deserted in the morning, I'd had enough, I get home sick, from afar got to watch our boys giving battle on that great ground that's been saved. Pagent and panarama in golden fields in the morning. Nice way to end it

Got to help my fellow sufferers by giving shuttle rides, felt more useful anyway.
              Met the "Horse Trader" from James river again, I had captured him there, some how now he was wearing the uniform of the strangers.

Them daily garlic pills all winter kept the ticks away
              Soaping the socks and i am no longer the blisterman.
              Coffee takes away hunger pains.

Three weekends in a row I have no life with out the army.

Bill O'Dea
              Syracuse
              In memory of
              John Day
              Co A 14th Tenn.

Comment

"I really didnt like the whistle and stopping just as it seemed to be getting hot " The OC's had to stop Saturdays engagements 3 times and I stoped it once. Why? Because it was becoming unsafe. Seems some of the CS troops wanted to charge to within 10-15 feet of the US line. There was even 1 yahoo who walked up to within 5 feet of our lines calling for us to invert our arms and surrender. So in the interest of safety, the engagements were stopped to open the distances back up to a safer range. One time, the stop was extended to look for a Lt. who was doing some E&E through the woods. That didn't stop some of the yahoo's though. During the cease fire, they charged out of the muddy road and started to fire on the US troops. The US OC quickly ran them off. Then there was the 6 morons who were attacking the US bivouac after the last engagement. Some people just don't get it I guess. :sarcastic

Chuck "Amos" Reynolds
                SgtMaj. 7th Maine

Comment

Well that explains the whistle then.I just never have heard them used before but better safe than sorry I reckon.
                  Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
                  "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Comment

The very first whistle:

One would think, with the huge area we had at our disposal, that the inevitable initial collision of forces would have been someplace other than right on the edge of our site. But there it was, and the federals found themselves out of maneuver room, pushed up against a site boundary.

I agree with Amos: Out of the hundreds on site, we had a handful that thought they were at some other event. I "wounded" one overwrought Confederate who was standing six yards in front of the federal color company and the federal command staff sassing them after the cease fire blew. He was about 20 yards closer than he would have ever gotten.

One insight I came away with is that the rank and file in some companies made too much noise during the battle, failed to hear the commands of their own officers, to the point that in one case they thought they didn't have any officers. The gunfire wasn't sustained enough to present a hearing problem, it was the yowling and howling. I dunno, if it was me out in front, I'd be listening real hard and hoping I'd hear my lieutenant tell me "Ok, we're going back now!" Rather than shouting platitudes. But I don't know, do men in battle shout platitudes? Maybe, but it sure raised havoc with command and control, and under circumstances that kind of cried out for extra measures to keep that command and control.

Quite a lot of fun, though. I thought the best moment was when I came out of a soggy doze about 10 p.m. Saturday ngiht and realized that the Confederate camp was happily singing in the rain. Possibly even more impressive, one was still inclined to sing as camp was broken in the wet dawn on Sunday

Bill, please sign all of your posts - Mike Chapman
                    Last edited by dusty27; 05-03-2004, 08:32 PM.
                    Bill Watson
                    Stroudsburg

Comment

I got out of the hobby a whole bunch of years ago because the then community of reenacting did not want or desire campaign style events. Marching was something you had to do on the rectangular football field sized battlefields. 1 man to a wall tent and camp baggage being the rule.
                      My hat is off to all of you fellows out there who made me happy I rejoined reenacting. I was picked up by Co F, 14th Tenn under Cpt Compton. From what I saw, tactics and the use of tactically correct maneuvering was outstanding. The finest moment was moving thru the thickets and marshy ground in single file from double files on a battalion front. Once within striking distance of the union line, we quickly redoubled, then were ordered into line of battle. Each man knew his duty and place and as we swung into line, independant fire was ordered. It was an awsome scene, as men stepped into line, they lowered muskets and fired into the Union line. I must congradulate Col Anders on conducting and sustaining a very well organized and effective attack.
                      Field fortifications were constructed, for lack of pioneer tools (picks and Shovels), logs were emplaced to construct some fairly strong positions. Obsticals were emplaced. When attacked, this part of the line was very easily held, allowing the reinforcement of our left by troops from the right.
                      As I stayed near a fire all night long, drying out what the rains intended to keep wet, thirsting for a pipebowl of tabacco, I could see my comrades doing the same or trying to sleep in the morass that we were plopped down upon. I could of told them the higher ground was going to be dryer, but the Col said this is the place, what is a mere Private to do. As long as there is a fire, coffee can be made and the body warmed.
                      Sunday morning, a good part of the 14th was well up before reville, too wet in most cases to sleep any more. With shocked looks, muskets were looked after, gear put back on, soaked tents and ground cloths rolled. Fires were put out and the march began again. Up the muddy hill, the trail marked by the footsteps of the Alabamians. Footsore and tired, I hefted my body up the trail with my comrades, mud klinging to every step, slowing our march but not stopping it.
                      Eventually, we came upon an open field, a sight that none of us had seen since Saturday morning. An area devoid of briars, thorns and undergrowth! Battle lines were formed, skirmishers sent out and the attack was underway. We left oblique march, then front, then left again, then are ordered to halt and fire. After a few volleys, we charge down a wet hill towards a small bridge, the federals have retreated to their main line up the hill. We reform our Battalion and advance, Yankee cavalry is on our flank and are driven off, but alas we are not able to break the union lines.
                      This was a great event and alot of fun to do. I cannot wait until next year. Again, thanks Col Chris Anders and all of the 14th Tenn.
                      Vince Jackson
                      Straggler mess

Comment

"they charged out of the muddy road and started to fire on the US troops. The US OC quickly ran them off."
                        Amos
                        If youre calling me a yahoo I was following orders from the big bugs, cease fire or not, which i never heard about, directly ordered to pitch into anything we found, that wouldnt of happened if pickets had been put out. Who screwed up on your side?
                        Bill O'Dea

Comment

ITW AAR
                          8th PA Cavalry

Being freshly returned from the foray “into the wilderness” I thought it would be good to share some thoughts from the cavalry perspective.

Registration
                          Arriving at registration things were quick and simple. The check in was brief and too the point. The shuttling of vehicles seemed to be quick an efficient, and the presence of sutlers at registration seemed like a pretty good idea. Our platoon even got to have a fine image struck by Mr. Szabo.

We had to spend several hours at registration due to a horse snafu and so I got to see a fair number of the folks who came in. The Federals that I saw were almost all tricked out in good kits and seemed well prepared. Not being an expert in Confederate gear, I would say that most or all of the Rebels were tricked out well. I did see three different gal troops in gray, but that’s a whole other issue.

The only flaw in registration from my perspective was the lack of water for horses. For those of you who host events water for horses is a serious logistical need. When you’ve got guys coming from GA with animals, you need to have water handy when horses get off the trailers.

Rations
                          The rations were standard fair and despite a glitch in transport seemed to be well handled. The boys who handled our dropped most of our hardtack and several of our onions on the ride back, but those are the fortunes of war…we were able to score some later by some enterprising foraging.

On Patrol
                          The Fed. Cav. spent the majority of the day Saturday doing cavalry work. We scouted, patrolled, and guarded the flank. That kept us out of the “Wilderness” but it certainly kept us busy. We were up at sunrise and didn’t stop moving until near dark.

We didn’t see much of the enemy to engage, but we did have a run in with the Critters and with the civilians. In our run in with the civilians we searched their belongings, questioned them as to their general intentions, and confiscated their flag. They did a great job of portraying a scared and hard luck group of women caught up in the midst of a nasty battle!

Our run in with the Critters was brief but vigorous. You boys looked great and our little “skirmish” was right out of the history books and a real rush. It is awesome to see authentic cav working together (or against each other) on an original cavalry battlefield! My only regret is that we didn’t get another chance to lock horns.

Saturday night we commandeered the barn at Fed. HQ and spent a warm dry night. The animals looked pretty jealous but they were happy for the long fresh grass. At a point like that it is easy to appreciate just how happy the “boys of ‘61” would have been to find such a barn to take shelter in.

Sunday’s fight found us lying in wait on the flank to surprise the Confederate advance. As the Rebs cleared the ford we rushed on them and put a halt to their advance. It was awesome to see the stunned looks in their faces, and to hear the cheers of our fellow boys in blue. It was also pretty cool to be assessed casualties and have consequences for our actions on the field.

Summary
                          The Fed. Cav had a great time at this event. Was it perfect? No, but no event is. We had to deal with hardship, fatigue and adversity like our forefathers did. We did the job of cavalry, often operating far from any support, military or logistical, and came out in fine shape.

Hi’s
                          Riding with a great bunch of guys at Brandy Station
                          Patrolling the woods looking for Reb
                          Working with the Critters
                          Interacting with the Civilians
                          Sunday’s charge

Lo’s
                          Dealing with trying to get water for the animals
                          Cooking rations at midnight on Friday
                          Ticks!

Take care,
                          Tom Craig
                          Formerly 1st Sgt. 8th PA Cavalry
                          Tom Craig

Comment

If youre calling me a yahoo I was following orders from the big bugs, cease fire or not, which i never heard about, directly ordered to pitch into anything we found, that wouldnt of happened if pickets had been put out. Who screwed up on your side?
                            Bill O'Dea[/QUOTE]

Bill,
                            You guys were not sent out until the 'break" was said to be over by the O/C's we had with us.....not sure if there was a breakdown or not in communication, as we did everything we could to stay within the rules in the 14th.

As to the distance factor, when one is in the woods, and by the time you can actually see the enemy, it is decision time, go forward or backwards, the distance is too close just to stand and shoot each other to pieces, when a quick rush, or a "swarm" (the period term for the attack style of CS forces) will solve the issue and perhaps mean far fewer casualties than just shootin' it out.

I do not envy the O/C's at all, because the nature of the terrain for Saturday made thier job hard, real hard, especially when tactically it was time to "swarm" . I never spotted a Federal on Saturday futher than 30-40 yards out, and tactically and historically it was proper not to stand still.

We were not tryng to yahoo anything, just be period and tactically correct.

In retrospect perhaps the few number of O/C's combined with the short distances dictated by terrain, the speed of the action and the intensity of all involved both made the event and caused some issues. But those issues cannot take away the overall sucess and enjoyment of this great event.

Nothing is ever perfect, but this one had something for everyone.

Still hoarse here...
                            S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

I would like to say that the 13 hour trip to this event from Georgia was well worth it.
                              1,beautiful site
                              2,good fed cav to fight with, for a change.
                              3, good infantry,
                              4 It was a nice suprise to deal with foes who understood and respected our efforts
                              5 good civilians

I hope everyone who attended this event will take what they learned with them to the next event they attend, and add to it. The potential is so much greater for good events than most people realize, untill they participate in an event like this one. I feel that even the best efforts of the past could have been better, and if People will start supporting good events with more conviction and in numbers, we will end up being able to have more of them attend.
                              Last edited by Cleaveland; 05-03-2004, 09:19 PM.
                              [FONT=Georgia]John Cleaveland[/FONT]

Comment

Bill I was in the union battalion at the time you discovered us and our orders we to stand down. Hence no pickets, no real time. The general scuttlebut was there was something else going on elsewhere that caused our "break". Who knows? As a privates we enjoyed our discovery probably as much as you, wish we could have responded but orders are orders,ours is to obey not to question.

Thank you to you and the rest of the confederates, great event. We loved the look on your faces, what was it three of you? And 75 to 100 of us ?

Frank Lilley
                                Co. B
                                Weeks Falls Mess
                                China, Me
                                Frank Lilley
                                Sore Foot Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X