Recon III Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recon III Feedback

As this was one of my first campaign events, I do not have much to compare it to. However, I felt that it was run very well, and it gave me a better appreciation of authenticity at events.
    My only suggestion for improvement was for the numbering system for the casualties. As it is, the system is based on chance for who is going to be wounded. I think that some kind of system where officers and the color guard receive special attention may help to improve the authentic feel of the event. If the color guard or the officers are in a bad position, then it seems appropriate that they would have a better chance of being wounded.

I had a lot of fun at Recon 3 and I am looking forward to a Recon 4 in the future. Thanks to the organizers and the officers and NCOs of the 7th Maine.

Cpl. Patrick Ellis
    7th Maryland Volunteer Infantry
    Cpl. Patrick Ellis
    7th Maryland Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Pat,
      Agreed....but overall I would say the main focus would be to have more OC's period....at least one per every 2 companies.

The problem is finding educated folks who would rather OC than "play"

Also I believe the OC's should have the power to force a unit to retire or flee...

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Also I believe the OC's should have the power to force a unit to retire or flee...

--chris anders

Chris,

We do. We did. :-)

Part of what needs to be done is advance prep with every participant. A key point: Although OCs are going to be assigning casualties, they can't be everywhere, and someone who finds himself in an untenable situation with no OC around needs to deal with it in the spirit of the event. The corollary of calling numbers turns out to have been "If your number isn't called, do nothing." In a sprawling ruckus in thick underbrush, obviously that isn't a useful corollary.
        Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

We do. We did. :-)

Oops, didnt know that....Guess that means we did ok.... :)

Pards,
          S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Re: Recon IV

IF there is to be one, then ALL brigade/battalion commanders and company commanders on both sides need to study up on period-correct tactics, and I am NOT talking about the CWLHI materials, but the actual originals with proper instruction and interpretation. If the event is about the practical application of period tactics, then everyone needs to be on the same page. This was definitely NOT the case at ITW/Recon III and this needs to be corrected before any future iterations, if any. Otherwise, the event need not be taken seriously and does not deserve placement on anyone's EBUFU or alternative event calendar. An appreciation of period tactics, period weapons, the effects thereof and an exclusion of reenactorisms would have corrected many if not most of the problems with the event. This appears not to have been considered or addressed despite the establishment of the "Civil War Living History Insttitute" and its materials.

And this does not even address the logistical faux pas that shut down Federal AND Confederate movement on Friday afternoon after the projected "go live" time. When, in the third episode of the event, water doesn't show up until after 5 pm and rations after 9 pm with a "go live time" of noon on Friday, you sap the energy of the troops ( a definite "limited" or fixed resource ) and eliminate maneuver and security options.

I've thought about these issues alot over the intervening month since the event. As a sole practitioner attorney, I do not have much time to devote to this hobby and I look for serious opportunities when I lend my support to an event where I can learn something and have a good time. As Federal commander, I did not see the kind of expertise and knowledge involved on either side in ITW that would separate this event from any mainstream event, much less elevate it to something truly worthy of serious consideration for future support. It was, simply put, a typical, mainstream tactical. Been there and done that. If anything, this event convinced me of the value of the scripted, history-based reenactment scenario. When we manage to get those right, we can then move on to unscripted yet history-based maneuver scenarios.
            David Culberson
            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Working...
            X