Prelude to Chickamauga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelude to Chickamauga

Though early registration for this event has ended, late registration is still open. Since we lost the orginal post on this event because of the crash, I thought I would repost the information.

This event is set in late 1863 during the period between the time the Confederates abandon Chattanooga and before the Battle of Chickamauga. During this period both sides were attempting to find out what the other was doing as they were gathering forces. As a result there were numerous small skirmishes through out Northwest Georgia, South Tennessee and Northeast Alabama.

What:

This event is not a recreation of any specific event that occurred but instead it is an attempt to recreate the feeling of the unknown as two patrols have been sent out to locate the enemy, determine his strength and map the terrain. For the event, we will have a Confederate patrol consisting of up to three companies of infantry and a Federal patrol consisting of one or possibly two companies of infantry and one detachment of cavalry. Both sides have been given the same task, to locate the enemy and determine his strength and intentions but avoid a general engagement.

Why:

This event is being held for two purposes. The first is to help raise money to preserve the William Harris Homestead site. All the money raised through registration and not used to put on the event will be donated to the site. We estimate that the amount donated to the preservation effort will be at least $10 per participant. The second reason is for us. This will be a semi-immersive event along the lines of Outpost (1 & 2) and TAG. There will be no spectators like past events held on this site.

When:

October 20-22, 2006

All participants need to be on-site by 10PM on Friday, October 20.

Where:

The event is being held at the William Harris Homestead. The William Harris Homestead is an excellent example of the homes and plantations established in Walton County, Georgia, after the formation of the County in 1818. The lands owned by William Harris originally were Land Lots Numbers 122 and 149, consisting of 250 acres each in District 3, as set out in the County when organized and located on both sides of Rogue’s Road (now Georgia Highway 11) on the Apalachee River. The William Harris Homestead is one of the few early plantations in Georgia that remains sufficiently intact to depict the culture and lives of the first inhabitants of the County. The site consists of the main house and several out buildings including smoke house, corn crib, and barn all maintained by a private trust. The Harris family still owns the surrounding land.

WILLIAM HARRIS HOMESTEAD

3636 GEORGIA HIGHWAY 11

MONROE, GEORGIA 30656

This is the same location where Return to the Ranks was held last year.

Who:

Confederates:

Hunter Poythress, of the Prophet Boy’s Mess, will be the overall Confederate Commander. The company commander are Paul Jerram, Art Milbert and Cory Pharr.

Federal:

Nate Petersburg will be serving as the overall Federal Commander supported by Coley Adair, of the Critter Company, commanding the Federal Cavalry.

Overall commanders will be responsible selecting their staff (Officers and NCOs).

How:

In order to help achieve the goal of recreating the feeling of the unknown, there will not be a registration list posted. We want finding out the enemies numbers to be part of the scenario. There will be an adjustable cap placed on Confederate registration. This will be dependent on the numbers of Federals that register. We are already planning for the Confederates to out number the Federals for this event but we do not want that to get out of hand.

This will be a physically demanding event. We intend it to be a very mobile event especially for the Federals (see the commanders). Everyone will need to take this into account when considering attending this event. There will be no fixed camps or tents. Everyone will have to carry what they will need for the weekend with them.

Those wishing to register as Federal Infantry need to contact Nate Petersburg. Those wishing to register as Federal Cavalry must contact Coley Adair. Those wishing to register as Confederates should contact Tripp Corbin to verify space before sending in your registration. All registration fees are nonrefundable. Any registration fees received from persons unable to attend the event for any reason will be donated to the site for preservation.

Civilian participation will be extremely limited and is by invitation only. Invites will be sent out by the event organizers.

For more information or to register visit the event website at:
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: Prelude to Chickamauga

Great work as always Tripp!. Did you get a chance to ad me to the Critter Forum yet?
    Thanks
    Pete
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Re: Registration Change

We have changed the registration rules a bit for this event. First we have extended the deadline to October 10th. Second we have eliminated the late registration fee. We did this to better meet the needs of folks wishing to attend. For anyone that paid the larger late registration fee, we will refund the difference to you at registration check-in or add it to the money we donate to the site. Which ever you prefer.

Comment

Just a reminder, registration for Prelude is still open. We have slots open for both CS and US. I will be at Shaker Village this weekend and anyone interested in attending can give me their registrations there. Also Chris Utley will be at Prelude selling his wears before and possibly during the event.

Comment

Prelude to Chickamauga/Gaelic Storm

Gents,
          For those of you who are coming to Prelude to Chickamauga, a bunch of us are going to go see Gaelic Storm play the Thursday night before in Atlanta. For those who would like to go, go to http://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/o...ance_id=433625 to order tickets. They are $14.60 each. Good times...

Andrew Jerram
          Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram

Comment

Re: Prelude registration closes in 10 days

Guys,
            Registration for Prelude to Chickamauga closes in 7 days. If you are planning to attend, you need to get those registrations in the mail before Oct 10th. You can also register via email and PayPal.

There is still room on the Confederate side. Federal registration is full. To register or for more information visit the event website at: http://tandpcorbin.home.mindspring.c...Home/index.htm

Comment

Just two days left to register for Prelude. If you wish to attend what promises to be a great event now is the time to get those registrations in the mail. You can also register using PayPal and email to avoid the hassel of getting a Money Order.

Comment

Some Final Notes (Directions and such)

Prelude to Chickamauga will take place at the William Harris Homestead, located in the northern tip of Walton County, Georgia. Walton County is roughly half-way between Atlanta to the west and Athens to the east. Here are some directions:

For those coming from TN and Northwest GA via I 75:
                Take I-75 south to I-285 East toward Augusta and Greenville (exit 259)
                Take I-285 to I-85 North toward Greenville (exit 33B)
                Take I-85 North to Ga 316 East (Athens Hwy)
                Take Ga-316 to Ga 11 (approximately 23.6 miles down 316)
                Turn right on to Ga 11 toward Monroe
                Once you cross over the Walton County/Barrow County line Harris Homestead will be .30 miles on the right.
                Parking and check in will be at the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot located .4 miles south of the Homestead site.

For those coming down I-85 South from the Carolinas:
                Take I-85 South to Ga 316 East (Athens Hwy)
                Take Ga-316 to Ga 11 (approximately 23.6 miles down 316)
                Turn right on to Ga 11 toward Monroe
                Once you cross over the Walton County/Barrow County line Harris Homestead will be .30 miles on the right.
                Parking and registration will be at the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot located .4 miles south of the Homestead site.

For those coming down I-20
                Take I-20 to GA-11 the Monticello/Monroe Exit (Exit 98)
                Turn on to GA-11 heading north towards Monroe
                Go Approximately 20 miles to the Windstream Business (formerly Alltel phone company) Parking lot on the right. This is where registration and parking is located

Registration will take place on Friday, Oct. 20th in the Windstream business (formerly Alltel phone company) parking lot. Windstream is located at 3375 Hwy. 11 N., and is roughly ½ way between Monroe (to the south) and Winder (to the north). Windstream is on the eastern side of Highway 11 and is adjacent to Ella Doster Road.

Registration will be open from 6:00 PM until 11:00 PM. Those who cannot arrive within that time frame will need to contact Robby Mitchell (see contact info below) and give an approximate time of arrival. Parking will be in the Windstream lot and an adjacent pasture. Horse trailers will make use of the pasture. You will be shuttled to your camp from the registration site.

Some rules to remember:
                1. No alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                2. There is the chance that some cows will be in the pastures where we will be maneuvering - avoid bothering them as much as possible.
                3. Since this is a working farm all participants are asked to close any gates that they open.
                4. Make sure to turn off any water sources that will be used during the weekend.
                5. You would be advised to refrain from drinking water out of the streams.
                6. Do not cut live trees (with the exception of “junk” undergrowth such as privet hedge).
                7. If you obstruct roads you will be expected to remove the obstructions before the end of the weekend.
                8. There are a few old and dilapidated buildings on the property. Please avoid further damage to these structures as the property owners have future plans for their renovation.
                9. We will be using Rammers. However Officers and NCOs will ask anyone they feel might be unsafe not too. If you are told by and Officer or NCO not to use your rammer don't argue just follow their order.
                10. If you are captured your ammo and food are fair game for the enemy. All other items are off limits.

There will be some spectators (probably no more than a handful) at the log house. The homestead is open for a few hours on Saturday for tours. Spectators will not be in the areas where we will be camped or maneuvering. You may see an occasional farm employee in a truck.

There may be some interaction around the historic home and out buildings. If there is please remember to be careful and don’t damage anything. We are trying to help preserve the site.

We will attempt to wrap things up by no later than 11:00 AM to give everyone ample time to return home. Due to the nature of this event leaving early will be almost impossible. Anyone traversing the property is open to capture or harassment. If captured the enemy is not required to let anyone go. The disposition of prisoners is at the sole discretion of the overall commanders.

It is strongly recommend everyone get dinner Friday before settling into the event. Rations will not be issued until late Friday night or early Saturday morning at the discretion of overall commanders for each side. There are several restaurants in Winder a few miles north of the event site. We would also suggest the Campton Restaurant (short orders) about 2 miles south on Ga. 11. They have huge portions.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event and are honored that you are participating. It is our hope that you have an exciting and fun weekend.

Respectfully,
                The Prelude to Chickamauga Event Staff

Contact Info if you have questions or concerns:

Robby Mitchell - Overall Event Coordinator
                rgmitchell@mindspring.com
                (770) 554-6586 (home)
                (770) 466-8685 (work)
                (404) 316-0285 (cell)

Tripp Corbin - Registration and Website
                trippcor@bellsouth.net
                (678) 442-0150 (home)
                (404) 861-8588 (cell)

Hunter Poythress - Overall CS Commander
                poythress4@cox.net

Paul Jerram - CS Company Commander
                pauljerram@hotmail.com

Art Milbert - CS Company Commander
                TenthTexas25@aol.com

Cory Pharr - CS Company Commander
                jcpharr@hotmail.com

Nate Petersburg - Overall US Commander
                Knoxfish@aol.com

Coley Adair - US Cavalry Commander
                cadair8064@aol.com

Comment

Just wanted to get a shout out to Robbie, Tripp, Herb, Kiev and the rest that made this event happen. I had a outstanding time and cannot wait to do something like this again. GREAT JOB!!

P.S. Hurrah for Lt Petersburg!
                  [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                  [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I'd like to echo Steve's comments. I had a blast at Prelude. I learned a lot of new lessons which is my most important criteria for a good event. Namely,

1) don't underestimate the mobility or firepower of a Spencer-armed Critter company.
                    2) Refill water every chance you get
                    3) Chancing upon a homestead with foraging opportunities: Priceless
                    4) It reinforced the need to keep up with your stuff in the dark.
                    5) I finally understand the need that the original veterans felt to make little coffee fires at every opportunity.
                    6) At distances and during the night, you see movement much better then color. We obviously had our Saturday pre-noon pickets well placed and still because a herd of deer started grazing about 50 yards away.

7) Cattle in the night look disturbingly like Critters. Overheard: "I thought there was only a company sir, but now it looks like there are about 50 of them!"

Thanks to all who came and planned for a great time.

Andrew Jerram
                    Kind Regards,
                    Andrew Jerram

Comment

Outstanding event.

We eluded the critters well enough that they could not provide a definitive count of us to the Infantry Commander.

We also stayed on the move often enough so as to deny the critters the chance to gather solid info on our disposition, which in turn denied Mr. Petersburg the opportunity to steal a grand flanking movement around us.

We first captured a Horse Blanket.

The next day... we captured the horses!

Getting the drop on dismounted Cavalry is rare... getting the drop on them, and capturing their horses is priceless!
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks to everyone that made it to Prelude. I know I had an "outstanding" time even with the cold, Sunday drizzle and Critters running about everywhere. Everyone from the overall commanders down to the privates on both sides did an outstanding job. From an event organizers standpoint we achieve just about all the goals we hoped for. Robby is still calculating the final expenses but we should be able to make a nice donation to the Harris Homestead.

Again thanks to everyone that attended. Great job!! Now one to Fort McAllister in December.

Comment

Was that the entire confed force or just one company we trapped and routed on sat afternoon?

My top ten list of the event

10. The WEATHER

9. The Ducthman's trade for a large ham, then having no way to carry it

8. Marching

7. Being a scout and flanker for the company

6. Laying out Friday night with a clear sky and great pards

5. Serving under Lt Petersburg

4. Watching, counting, and setting the trap above the valley saturday, which left one option for the beseiged foe: A near complete rout parallel to our line, allowing us to rake their ranks with flanking fire. (I'm telling you it was beautiful) Providing us with an open ford and a clear path to the south end of the farm. Petersburg strikes again

3. My detachment (Ewing, Coble, Dutchman, Tipton, Brinkman) holding our fire until 5 confederate picketts nearly walked up on us, giving them quite a shock when we opened up, and then pushing them back down the hill along the tree line.

2. As the same men retreated to the rear of their line, hearing the sound of spencers leting them know their line of retreat has been cut

1. Escaping the larger enemy force to get to Chattanooga by charging through one of the fords, in fours, EARLY sunday morning before the ford could be blocked. Allowing us to complete our objectives.
                          Last edited by Federal Bummer; 10-23-2006, 11:03 AM. Reason: Mis-spellings
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                          [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I myself would like to echo the sentiments of others on this event. I had a complete blast! Also this being the end of my second full year of CWR,and my first true authentic event, it was truly icing on the cake. I would also like to thank all of the men in the Federal ranks for a stealthy and authentic experience, and to our officers for their superb leadership. I have never seen that amount of men move that fast and while making almost no sound. The stunned look on the Confederates picketts face, as we blatsed thru the ford in the creek right past them on Sunday, that's PRICELESS ! Thanks for a bully of a time !
                            Eric N. Harley-Brown
                            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

This was a great event. Thanks to event organizers and all their months of hard work and planning to pull this off. I had a great time in Capt. Milbert's company. Highlights:

The large property and being able to move around.

Being sent by myself by Lt. Corbin Sat. afternoon to see how many Federals were at the top of a hill and then finding all of their infantry. Skedaddling back to our main column to let Major Poythrus know their infantry was found and our column would be seen if it continued on it's current line of march. The Major went around through the woods to flank them and then we pushed the Federals off the hill.

Foraging at a local home for food and making a fine soup from the findings.

Sharing some coffee with four pards at post number 1 during Saturday night guard duty.

Seeing a man in the darkness approaching our camp about 50 yards away around midnight Saturday, waking Sgt. Hicks, then going to find the spectre. We found no one, but when I brought the guard relief out, the men at the post said they heard twigs snapping and a horse ney in the woods close by just after the time I saw the spectre.

Sunday morning, catching the Critter Company off guard. Capturing them, their horses, their Spencers and ammunition. I was ordered to collect their weapons and at one point had two Spencer carbines and a Spencer rifle. We were ordered to guard the Federal cavalry and when they cavalrymen were told to dismount and walk, the pain on their faces was priceless, especially Guy Musgrove. With cocked Spencers pointed at them, some just couldn't bear the pain, quit the event, and cowardly rode off leaving their other Federal pards behind. Ya, baby! Priceless!
                              Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM.
                              Matt Woodburn
                              Retired Big Bug
                              WIG/GHTI
                              Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                              "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
                              X