X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Perryville AAR

Mr Cantieri,
    I believe Mr. Butler's comment was a reflection of the fact that this forum used to prohibit all farbisms (e.g. the defense of one's own inauthentic portrayal by pointing out the incredibly tiresome and trite truism that our hobby abounds with inaccuracies (many of which are necessary for our health and safety) and therefore why bother pointing out or correcting subpar impression or performances) and thus a more receptive environment like Szabo's Civil War Reenactors Forum might be a better fit for your personality and attitude (mainstreamers are very welcome there). This forum is spcifically for people who care about authenticity - not with defending the status quo. There was a time when a discussion of this event would not have even made it onto this forum.
    Best regards
    Peter Julius
    North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Originally posted by Malingerer
      Mr Cantieri,
      I believe Mr. Butler's comment was a reflection of the fact that this forum used to prohibit all farbisms (e.g. the defense of one's own inauthentic portrayal by pointing out the incredibly tiresome and trite truism that our hobby abounds with inaccuracies (many of which are necessary for our health and safety) and therefore why bother pointing out or correcting subpar impression or performances) and thus a more receptive environment like Szabo's Civil War Reenactors Forum might be a better fit for your personality and attitude (mainstreamers are very welcome there). This forum is spcifically for people who care about authenticity - not with defending the status quo. There was a time when a discussion of this event would not have even made it onto this forum.
      Best regards
      I can see both sides of the whether or not Perryville should be discussed here.
      I guess where I would come down is this is "Authentic Campaigner" site and not "Authentic Event" site. I would maintain that an authentic campaigner should be able to discuss his experiences on this site regardless of the venue.
      That being said if an authentic campaigner attends a mainstream event they know what they are getting into and the associated compromises to their sensibilities they must make. Belittling a mainstream event for being mainstream is like belittling water for being wet.

Unfortunately the desire of the authentic campaigner to attend events where there are a decent array of sutlers and large masses of soldiers makes it necessary, given the current lay of the reenactor landscape, to attend mainstream events. And attendance to said mainstream events results in reduced kitchen passes, vacation days, etc. which could be spent on making quality emersion/by-us-for-us events larger so that they could eventully fulfill the need currently being met by mainstream events.

I am sure this has been said multiple times but at the risk of being redundant... It would be nice if the authentic community could agree on one big event each year that all of us could attend. Then we might see what having a big authentic event was like. I am sure that all that has passed previously would pale in comparison.
      Jerry Gouge
      1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Gouge
        I would maintain that an authentic campaigner should be able to discuss his experiences on this site regardless of the venue.
        I agree, and one difference I see is how the event is discussed. There's a difference between reporting something like:

"The best part of the event was getting drunk with my friends and listening to Monty Python skits,"

compared to,

"The best part of the event was..." followed by a report of some aspect that authentic campaigners might wish they could have experienced, or something that worked well as a carpe eventum that authentic campaigners might be able to use in the future, etc.

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net
        Hank Trent

Comment

Mr Gouge,
          Not to split hairs but, the title of this sub-folder is "Authentic Events". There are plenty of other fora where mainstream events which have a campaigner presence can be discussed, but this forum has been, untill recently, a haven for things authentic only. Anyone with a whit of imagination can find a way to carpe eventumat virtually any farbfest - that's not the point - this folder is for the discussion and promotion of events of a decidedly authentic nature. This is a slippery slope gentlemen and I would be saddened to this resource turned into another rant center where the 'streamers' can justify their cots, coolers, and galtroops.
          With respect,
          Peter Julius
          North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Originally posted by Malingerer
            Mr Gouge,
            Not to split hairs but, the title of this sub-folder is "Authentic Events". There are plenty of other fora where mainstream events which have a campaigner presence can be discussed, but this forum has been, untill recently, a haven for things authentic only. Anyone with a whit of imagination can find a way to carpe eventumat virtually any farbfest - that's not the point - this folder is for the discussion and promotion of events of a decidedly authentic nature. This is a slippery slope gentlemen and I would be saddened to this resource turned into another rant center where the 'streamers' can justify their cots, coolers, and galtroops.
            With respect,
            Mr. Julius,

Who was justfying cots, coolers and galtroops? Personally I have no use for any of them. I forget but were not Corinth and Franklin talked about on this forum? Perryville like those had some aspects that were decent and fun.

I did not think that anyone was promoting anything here. I thought they were just speaking to fact that they had a good time. I suspect that one can choose not to participate in a discussion if they have nothing to add. That might serve to reduce the attention to a given topic which they find abhorent. So if you think Perryville is not worthy of your regard you might choose to not read the comments and not comment, that way it would fade into the past quicker.

It seems to me that AAR strings typically do not last much longer than a week of so. So you probably do not have much longer to suffer.
            Jerry Gouge
            1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

I'm suprised a mod hasn't stepped in by now to stop the bitching.
              This is petty

I'm out boyos,
              Last edited by ElizabethClark; 10-13-2006, 06:55 PM. Reason: removing scatalogical reference

Comment

The mods are watching, never fear.

We're also watching for signatures--and Mr. Hobbit, yours is lacking.

I've also edited out your euphemistic scatalogical reference. Hiding it doesn't make it invisible.
                Regards,
                Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Brief Moderator Note

Please confine your remarks to discussing the success or failure of the progressive and history heavy elements of this event.

AAR threads do generally run their course. Discussion of the history-heavy aspects of this event is encouraged; discussion of the "smorgasboard" aspects of this event is not. Please review Mr. Trent's post just above for a very neat summary of how to do this.
                  Regards,
                  Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent
                    I agree, and one difference I see is how the event is discussed. There's a difference between reporting something like:

"The best part of the event was getting drunk with my friends and listening to Monty Python skits,"

compared to,

"The best part of the event was..." followed by a report of some aspect that authentic campaigners might wish they could have experienced, or something that worked well as a carpe eventum that authentic campaigners might be able to use in the future, etc.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Hank is again making the point that has already been stated over and over. No one is debating the merits or non-merits of the Perryville event (although that is useful AAR info). The problem is arising because NON-authentics are coming on this board and stating how they are authentic, but did it in the mainstream part of the venue. To me, this is insulting and a farbism to this forum. If they are not supporting the authentic end of the hobby...be it with a c/p/h at an adjunct or at fully immersive event, then their posts have not merit in helping our cause.

Regards,
                    Jim Butler
                    Jim Butler

Comment

The best part of the event for me was being with the AoP. We slept, marched, ate and crapped like soldiers on campaign. Since the Federal army was on campaign when it hit Perryville, it was quite appropriate. Our rations were period correct (as always with the AoP) and we used no tentage, as was appropriate to the campaign, and we didn't have no stinking porta johns in camp. We didn't have to suffer through any bad theatrics of bad "firper" or Monty Python, nor did we have any bad impressions in our ranks.

Those that did not fit into the AoP model were ejected.

Hopefully, next time, at Mill Springs, some of our fellow posters here will take the plunge and find out how much better the AoP can make such an event.

Sorry for stirring the pot, but glad to see others feel the same way.
                      Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone
                        The best part of the event for me was being with the AoP. We slept, marched, ate and crapped like soldiers on campaign. Since the Federal army was on campaign when it hit Perryville, it was quite appropriate. Our rations were period correct (as always with the AoP) and we used no tentage, as was appropriate to the campaign, and we didn't have no stinking porta johns in camp. We didn't have to suffer through any bad theatrics of bad "firper" or Monty Python, nor did we have any bad impressions in our ranks.

Hopefully, next time, at Mill Springs, some of our fellow posters here will take the plunge and find out how much better the AoP can make such an event.

I know that the men who chopped down the trees to build the "bridge" over the creek didn't think much of the exercise given that the "bridge" did not end up being used. However, I think that activities such as this which after the fact seem inconsistent with the best use of manpower were often the same activities that actually happened. Similar in this aspect is the typical "hurry up and wait" routine we often experience. I also thought the sinks were great and suprisingly there was no stench.

I enjoyed making a stew Saturday evening. Salt beef, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, rice and a bit of pepper made for a very nice stew and hit the spot after a day of campaigning. One of the most relaxing aspects of campaigning is cooking the meal and the anticipation that goes along with wondering how it will turn out.

We discussed every aspect of a harvest moon. Corporal Merritt regaled us with herertofore unknown aspects of a harvest moon. It was very enlightening (pun intended). Though we traveled light we had no trouble staying warm around the campfires throughout the night.
                        Jerry Gouge
                        1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone

I was in the Western Brigade camp and we did the exact same thing as you did. Do I too understand that because I didn't attend the event with the AoP means that I am a farb? That seems funny to me because I dress the same and act the same the only thing different is my company had 40 men in the ranks which is about the same size as the AoP right wing.

I am sure someone will explain this too me.

Hope to see you all in Mill Springs next year and look forward in hearing about how it was a farb fest.
                          Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Whether Perryville was mainstream or C/P/H or whatever classification you want to give it, I found myself absolutely lost in the period on several occasions. As orderly sergeant of Co A in the AoP, I'd forgotten just how much is involved in the day-to-day administration of an infantry battalion, a fact that was demonstrated to me almost hourly by our most cabable sergeant major and adjutant (by the way Mr. Runyon, it was great working with you and meeting you last weekend). By calling roll at least four times per day, by checking over detail rosters and insuring guards were posted at the proper times, and by just worrying if the men were up to marching and fighting at the appropriate times, I got my first of the rushes. Then as I was freezing in my woefully inadequate issue blanket at 2 AM, I moved over to a fire, stoked in up, and pulled out a Beadle's novel "Florida", hoping that would tire me out - well it didn't, it only added to the rush as I looked out and saw the silouette of one of my men walking a post in the harvest moon. With every soldierly bitch and moan, with every empty canteen that needed filling, with every battalion evolution that had to be practiced, and with everyone in the camp looking like they belonged, I got that rush. I've been to "better" events, and many that were worse by far, but none that provided to this humble writer the reminder of why I do this - to preserve the memory of the common soldier, and it was a constant reminder. Was it a constant first person inspired period rush - NO, and I was as guilty as the next man for modern conversation and references, but when I was alone or with a handful of comrades, I can't even count the number of times I was in awe of things. By Saturday's revielle, I almost forgot about almost being killed by a cement truck on the way up there. It was an honor and privilege to serve for and with the quality of men that campaigned with us, from a teenaged drummer to a man in his late sixties, and every age in between, and with that I know you get out of an event what you put into it.
                            Ross L. Lamoreaux
                            rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Mr. Beedle,

I don't think I said anything about Perryville being a farbfest. Nor will I. I've been to farbfests and Perryville was a better event than that.

I don't think Mill Springs will be a farbfest.

What I have said is that many, quite likely most, of the posters on this thread are mainstreamers in good kits and nothing more. They do not attend progressive events or those events otherwise known for their quality. They attend mainstream events and are solely members of mainstream units. The forum is no longer dominated by those that push the envelope.

Before the gnashing of teeth begins, there is no argument that many of us attend mainstream events, for whatever reasons we may have, but they are not the primary focus of what we do and we accept those events will not be up to our standards. We are not here complaining about the event. Haven't you read the posts? We all had a good time and are glad of it.

The problem is guys like you are saying you did the same thing as the AoP, yet you have no idea what the AoP did or does in the field. This event was not below your normal standard, it was the crest of the wave for you.

You take offense at my observations, but it doesn't make them less true.

And, it isn't hard to raise a 40 man mainstream company. My old unit fielded two 40 man companies a couple of times and once fielded an 80+ man company at an event. It is harder to field a 25 man company in a progressive unit and we all know it. There are several obstacles that mainstream units do not have to overcome that the progressive company does.

So, yeah, I think that if you attended Perryville and you weren't supporting the AoP, you were a mainstreamer. It's harsh, but that is what I think.

Last edited by PogueMahone; 10-14-2006, 07:29 AM. Reason: Freudian slip?
                              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by JEBminnesota
                                I was in the Western Brigade camp and we did the exact same thing as you did. Do I too understand that because I didn't attend the event with the AoP means that I am a farb?
                                You DID NOT do the same thing as the AOP did? Did you actually walk the 1/2 mile to our camp (doubt it)? If you have a great kit and sleep on the ground, but are still going to only mainstream events and attending events in the canvas city then you are NOT doing the same thing? Sorry, buddy, but you don't have a clue!

Jim Butler
                                Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                                X