Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AAR or something like it....

Mr. Arnold,
    I take this as a high complement coming from you. Thank you.

Brad Bodoh
    Mess #3
    ONV
    WIG

Comment

It was an event not to be missed. Thank you Tom and Fred. I learned far more than I ever thought possible. Though my favorite part was hearing Company A yelling for Pinkham acrossed the lines.
      Jake Beckstrand
      CWPT
      Member of The Iron Rooster Mess

Comment

Hello All,

Cost of gas per man -$120
        Replacing broken equipment- $75
        Saying I went to BGR -Priceless...

Thanks to all who made this the event of a lifetime.
        Several moments from the weekend stand out in my mind.
        Did eating cornmeal out of my hand on the run as the Rebs shot at us taste like manna from heaven after days of hardtack and bacon, yes. I learned that standing guard over two women and their children with your bayonet fixed as they stare at you with a mixture of fear and contempt is not the same feeling as drumbeats, waving flags, and glorious charges, but the heart wrenching reality of where is our humanity and what cost this terrible thing called war. I learned that pain and fatigue can make you weak enough to collapse and go no further, but a SGT Major double quicking it up a hill with 2 packs on his back can make you capable of continuing on and finding reserves of strengths you forgot you had.
        I kept a period journal as well as my "regular journal". Here are some excerpts:
        "Engaged the Rebs at a crossroads surrounded by dense thorny thickets. They got the best of us and we were soon flanked. LT Bodoh pulled us out at the double quick and kept us from being captured." Thank you LT. Not bad for a "green" officer.
        "As I was loadin, a Reb appeared with pistol drawn and demanded I surrender. I told him to go ahead and shoot. Luckily, Mr Groves appeared at my side and the reb couldn't decide who to shoot. I skeedaddled as Mr G. fell back." Troy, thanks, Pard...
        "The boys and I built a fine shebang our first night until Chase knocked it over. The boy is too sweet to call a Jonah, and we had it back up in no time."
        Chase, thanks for switching sides. It made for some great 1st person interacting and I've been singing that song at work all week. Someone asked me if it was a period song. If it wasn't before, it sure will be now...
        SGT Arnold, thanks for a wonderful weekend and all your help and support in making 2nd platoon Co A the formidable fightin machine it is.
        And to Company A, 1st SGT Munson, LT Bodoh, CPT Storchy, and the rest of the brigade, gentlemen, I salute you.

Michael Bogert
        100th PA Co K

Comment

"As I was loadin, a Reb appeared with pistol drawn and demanded I surrender. I told him to go ahead and shoot. Luckily, Mr Groves appeared at my side and the reb couldn't decide who to shoot. I skeedaddled as Mr G. fell back." Troy, thanks, Pard...
          I knew who to shoot. I wasn't willing to do it under the circumstances. There was a pause in the fighting, and y'all were backing up. Despite your consent, shooting an unarmed man would have been murder. I couldn't do it. I let you go. If you had been advancing or if you had been loaded plus attempted to level your musket at me, I'd have fired without hesitation. Thanks for shooting at me after you returned to your lines. I vowed not to be so cordial should we cross paths again.

Until reading your post, I had wondered if the Federal I faced thought I had an unloaded pistol. Just want you to know that It was charged and that the hammer was back. I carried a loaded pistol at an event for the first time this millenium. I charged two rounds the first morning. Didn't fire a round the entire weekend. I cleared the pistol Sunday morning on the march back to the CS parking lot. It was a confidence builder to carry it, but I continue to believe that an officer's best weapon is the troops under his supervision. Once an officer draws that pistol, he's no longer a supervisor, he's a participant. With only three or four guys with me on that flank, I thought the appearance of a little extra fire power would be a good idea.

Chase, thanks for switching sides. It made for some great 1st person interacting and I've been singing that song at work all week. Someone asked me if it was a period song. If it wasn't before, it sure will be now...
          Chase joined my company and my platoon when he jumped the creek that cold night. He was a much better soldier than he appeared at first glance. I continue to hear that song y'all leveled at him after the final skirmish.

"Hey Chase Pinkham!
          What were you thinkin'?
          You signed for three years
          To fight for Abe Lincoln."

Being a deserter, that song stung. The oath that I heard when he was initially discovered in our ranks by y'all was fierce. The oath swearer was so angry upon seeing Chase that I thought we would have to restrain the swearer. Within minutes, the song was sung and it was a good joke.

During our advances, I regularly told him not to get to far in front. I did not want him to be captured. It all made me wonder about the venim spewed upon discovery of real deserters during the war. I kept thinking about the story of an Iron Brigade deserter who was subsequently captured from Archer's or Davis' ranks at Gettysburg. He was discovered by other Iron Brigaders and received a swift execution. After the beating the Iron Brigaders received on that first day of Gettysburg, the execution had to be personal. I didn't want something like that to occur to Chase. He's a good kid even though he did desert.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I'm sure I am not spelling in right, but pvt. Gobtop made the Chase Pinkham song up in all of 30 seconds. The same night the platoon sat around practicing the song togeather, we knew we would meet up with Chase again.
            sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Silas;54090]I knew who to shoot. I wasn't willing to do it under the circumstances. There was a pause in the fighting, and y'all were backing up. Despite your consent, shooting an unarmed man would have been murder. I couldn't do it. I let you go. If you had been advancing or if you had been loaded plus attempted to level your musket at me, I'd have fired without hesitation. Thanks for shooting at me after you returned to your lines. I vowed not to be so cordial should we cross paths again.

Mr Tackitt,

My apologies, Sir. That was surprise in my eyes at first followed by dismay. Imagine my distress upon finding myself dead to rights in your aim in the first half hour of our 1st skirmish of the 1st day. This turned to anger when you did not fire. Not wanting to end up in prison, I decided to give my country "the one life" that I had to give and demanded that you shoot me. I assumed your weapon was loaded. I did not even pause to ponder if it might be empty. My hat is off to you, Sir. You are obviously a man of honor and true strength of character. I owe you a debt of gratitude. (both for the lesson and the life) If it makes a difference, moments later I fell with a hit to the arm due to the ferocity of your fire, as did the 1st SGT and several others.
              May we meet again under more cordial circumstances,
              Your humble servant,
              Michael Bogert

P.S. Pinkham, be glad 2nd platoon didn't catch you...

Comment

Hey Boozie, you did a great job on the spelling!! I had a bully time with all my 2nd platoon pards. It was the experiance of a lifetime serving with with all of you, and I mean that. I feel lucky and honored to have been part of the Boys. Can't wait to meet up with you all in the field again.

Your pard at the end of the line.

Robert Gobtop
                Robert Gobtop
                Ol Sipley Mess
                ONV
                Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

I recieved this first person AAR from one of the Pvts in Co. B, 81st Ill. Since I have not seen one posted, I asked and recieved his permission to post it. The author is Martin Goff.

Rob Murray
                  last seen commanding
                  Co.B, 81st Ill.
                  Attached Files
                  Rob Murray

Comment

Thank you for the kind words about Co.A. We are unruly, dirty and good fighters!

Co.A 2nd Platoon (Shitass Platoon)
                    Nathan Hellwig
                    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Nice after action report. Alot of fun to read, except for the part about getting my neck stretched.....
                      Dusty Lind
                      Running Discharge Mess
                      Texas Rifles
                      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

I knew history would think I'll of me. Wow now I know what Banks felt like.
                        Terry Sorchy

Comment

Rob,

Martin's AAR was one of the best I've read yet.

Dan Hadley
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                          X