Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myths exposed, lessons learned and other observations.

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
    Well... I can tell you of one incident were vision was lacking on the Gray Side. I believe it was Friday, at a deep creek crossing. The two advance scouts for the forward skirmish line came to the creek. The lead fella, in a blue sack coat, finally crossed the creek, and was in a bit of revile which led up out of the creek to the trail. We had men to the left and right, and a platoon directly ahead of him, 20 yards in the trees.

He came up out of the creek, hesitated, then moved forward, At about 15 paces (a safe distance, when musket is elevated to fire blanks at) he was told to halt! His eyes grew as big as saucers, and he turned and skedaddled back through the crick. At least three, may be four muskets were discharged into him as he turned and ran (yet.. miraculously... he was untouched... hmm!!!!!).

When the Bn. finally came up, it was one of those forlorn hope charges across the water. When they touched the waters edge, the platoon directly facing the ford rose up, and let a deadly volley onto their ranks!

Although we didn't stay around to see the effects, I understand one Reb actually did a face plant into the water.
    Brian - we knew we were "had" that time. The only way out was to splash across the deep part of the creek on the rocks and hope you would pull out - was actually a bit dangerous and I was amazed we did not have any injuries as we were on the dead run. Had you decided to stay (not part of the plan), we would all be floating down the creek still
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

This is the one spot I really feel we bloodied the CS noses and made them a little more cautious. We watched you probe both sides of the crossing and when you found you could not out flank us, had to charge straight accross. Very defensible position. Natural breastworks and clear, interlocking fields of fire.

Rob Murray
      Rob Murray

Comment

Our plan was to make the Confederate Bn. stop, deploy, get wet, then have to stop, reorganize and move forward with wet feet and trousers, thus making you burn time while we gained distance between us as we all as hoping that it would add to the misery, and aid in slowing your rate of your March for the next few hours.

It was nothing more than a quick delaying tactic from our point of view.

We only had about 10 rifles in the platoon line, and another six rifles in the deep trail cut paralleling the creek. Although we were giving Company Commands form three different locations, hoping it would hide our low numbers.

It was a good defensive position.

We felt as though we had done what we intended rather well.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
          Our plan was to make the Confederate Bn. stop, deploy, get wet, then have to stop, reorganize and move forward with wet feet and trousers, thus making you burn time while we gained distance between us as we all as hoping that it would add to the misery, and aid in slowing your rate of your March for the next few hours.

It was nothing more than a quick delaying tactic from our point of view.

We only had about 10 rifles in the platoon line, and another six rifles in the deep trail cut paralleling the creek. Although we were giving Company Commands form three different locations, hoping it would hide our low numbers.

It was a good defensive position.

We felt as though we had done what we intended rather well.
          Worked perfectly!!

We were wet indeed and of course, since that was where the water was and our canteens were empty, we needed to stop and fill canteens, which gave time to change socks for those of a mind. We in the ranks assumed it was a fight for the water more than anything else, and so needed to be across the creek to secure it. Hence our headlong rush across had a dual purpose.

I still marvel at how well this whole event was choreographed and how little of that was apparent to the men in the ranks.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
            The wagon fellows were indeed hardy men and their mules and the oxen up to the task of navigating some very rugged country.
            Uncle Tom,

Learning the little red oxen earn their keep as modern select cut loggers was an added bonus. Having dabbled with oxen in pairs in living history museum settings, the presence of genuine working steers was of more than just a passing interest. It was good to see them underway (no haze gray, Bugs), if only once. My late Father in law worked oxen in and around the rice paddies when he was a youngster, well before his own generation's big war. Of course, we Occidentals would call those beasts of burden by another name, which is "water buffalo." It's my guess that Mun would have enjoyed seeing Gerry's animals in action.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

We had watered there for quite a while, and knew that you'd use it for the same purpose.

It annoyed your fellas, got 'em wet, and bought us time.

And you are right, the orchestration of the events went without detracting from the soldiers experience.

Well done indeed!
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

That was one of the more frustrating times. I had been out of water since 6pm the night before and everyone else in my company was out by nightfall. That was later on in the morning when we NEEDED that water. It was frustrating to have to fight over it. It really gave some excellent insight into the real guy's trials and tribulations. Going days at times without water seems unimaginable after 18 hours marching and fighting without water.

I had gone ahead to scout out the water source with Boot and our 1st Sgt while the rest of the column was cleaning up after Mr. Harla's conspiratorical misfire. We located the source and I went back to the column to tell them. Just as I got there (running), I heard the fire. I alerted them, and ran back to the creek. I was ready for a nice cool drink then :-D And even after the fight, I had to wait thirty minutes! haha good times, good times! I sure thought it was a whole company up there, maybe two. Y'all did an outstanding job masking your numbers.
                thanks,
                micah Ables
                - Iron Man of reenacting :tounge_sm
                hooyahmicah @ gmail dot com

Comment

Working...
                X