Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call to Arms

Gentlemen,

I find it interesteing that this forum has 1981 officially registered users. Yet, we rarely see more than 200 campaigners at a single event. To me that means that at least 1500+ of the users who visit and post on this forum don't even attend c/p/h events! So, who ar ethese 1500 people? Are they just cyber-reenactors (I never understood the point in that!)? Are they mainstreamers who like to have authentic discussions, but won't actually do things that are more authentic than the local Blues Festival/Civil War Days? Anyone else have an explaination?

Sorry if I sound frustrated, but we need more guys to step and support events like Life on the Line. We need a few more Federals to round out the event. I urge you not to miss this event! The event website is at: http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/Vicksburg/

I look forward to seeing you there!

Thanks,
    Jim Butler

...sorry...I meant to post this on the Life on the Line thread...
    Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 05-04-2007, 07:00 PM.
    Jim Butler

Re: Call to Arms

Jim:

I am someone who has taken a five year break and is starting to come back to the hobby. During that time I have used this site as a learning tool to help improve my impression. I am interested in going to authentic events but as I am in Missouri I am a little more limited. Also my impression is a mounted one so I am further limited with what I can do. I have never done an infantry impression but am open to it. Right now my plans are to make Outpost this year and Marmaduke's Raid in 08 and any other events that I can. If anyone knows of anything in the Missouri area feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Chris Talburt

Comment

I can't go to events at all because of major family health issues, but I spend a lot of time researching the CW era and am always eager to see what others have found and what new sources they may have uncovered. If, along the way, I can contribute in some small way to living history events sans polyester and funnel cakes, so be it.
      Becky Morgan

Comment

I would like to know why we are posting about recruiting for the Vicksburg Living History in the folder of an event that came and went over a month ago.

That said, yes, the "Authentic Campaigner" has several thousand active and non-active members. At most I've seen about 200 of them in any one place at one time.
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Jim
          I cant speak for everyone so I 'll speak for myself. I am not a reenactor (anymore) but I love studying Civil War history. This website provides me with much valuable information on things I might not otherwise think about. Without being on this site I would have missed out on things like the CRRC2. That was one of the best sources of information on little details of the common soldier. I am guessing I'm not the only one who just likes learning as much as practicle about our past, but does not reenact.

Most Respectfully

Bill Fean

Comment

Fred,

Sorry, I meant to put this under Life on teh Line.

Jim Butler
            Jim Butler

Comment

I am a cyber reenactor. It is easier and cheaper. Besides, the Mississippi River is too deep and wide to swim to get to events on the other side. I do like funnel cake and I am working on downgrading my kit.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Not to stifle discussion, but I suspect Jim is looking to drum up last minute recruits for the visiting team for next month's Vicksburg event. Perhaps if folks want to discuss who can and cannot get to "better events" and why, that discussion might be better in the "Sinks" folder or elsewhere.

Vicksburg 2007 has a lot going for it: opposing forces event at a NPS site, and on the original ground, where participants will get to do some things that they rarely get to do at most events (and almost never on a NPS site). I suspect there's some frustration in a few quarters that more folks aren't registered for this one despite its unique aspects.

That's a danged shame, but those who are registered are--I certainly hope--going to have a very good weekend at Vicksburg. To the rest who aren't registered: If you want to try something a bit different, get registered, or you'll have to live vicariously through the AARs next month. :)

Gas prices, phooey. I'm registered and I'm afraid to look up how many miles it really is from western New York State to Vicksburg. My comrade I'm traveling with has to drive two hours south from Ontario to get to my house before we even really start the trip. This one's worth making an effort for...

Comment

Ditto that Kevin! Gas prices are here to stay, so we've got to be creative somehow. I'm truly looking forward to Vicksburg because one, I've never been there, and two, my good friend Pat Landrum is putting it on. Eleven Mess No.1 lads are making the trip! Pat's work and efforts will be worth it ;) .
                  Ken Cornett
                  MESS NO.1
                  Founding Member
                  OHIO
                  Mason Lodge #678, PM
                  Need Rules?

Comment

In all seriousness, have any units chartered a tour bus for events at a great distance? This won't likely help cavalry or artillery units, but most tour buses have sizable luggage compartments for carrying huge amounts of gear. After the school charter season, and before fall foliage, it might be possible to get some decent discounts.
                    Becky Morgan

Comment

The POC'R Boys are cramming into the big green short bus to Mississippi. We may even have a Marylander in the mix. If you have not car pooled to an event, you should give it a try. Besides the obvious economical issues, the brainstorming of ideas, future events and general camaraderie is important. Pete McCarthy is our "barn spotter" and even Joseph will be sharing driving duties in the near future. In a mess-based system, this kind of things really can mean much.

We are looking forward to seeing a battlefield for the first time and contributing to a worthy event. Now many folks hang out here for many different reasons. That's great. If you are the least bit curious, and want to give a great event a try, now is the time.

By the way, the Virginia Pork Festival is the following Wednesday. A long drive but, worth it if you like pork.
                      Ley Watson
                      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Considering this isn't a thread about tour busses, I'll just say that, despite numerous times I've seen someone say they'll organize such a bus-pool, they almost never happen. Difficult to organize, very expensive, restricts the itinerary for many who want to couple the road trip with visiting certain battlefields, and etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Now Guys
                          Every event that I go to is between a 10 and sixteen hour drive. Why do I do it?
                          To help with preservation, to bring history alive as best I can, to see all you wonderful floks:D and I know that to make a quality event I am going to have to drive a long distance. All my pards in the ONV know that to. Thats why you saw 42 of them at Shiloh.
                          Making the long journey to the event is just the nature of the beast. But I wouldnt trade it for anything, and like the others said we sure would love to see (northern version) you all:p at Vicksburg.
                          Cheers
                          Terry Sorchy

Comment

Beckey,
                            Co.A, 1st Minn. has chartered a bus for years. We have a drive time anywhere from 16 to 22 hours when we go to events. The cost of our last trip was just over $5600.00. We are lucky that we can put 30-40 people on the bus and then subsidize out of unit funds. I think it would be quite hard for a bunch of "Independents" to do that as companies generally want half down 2-3 months before the event. It is definately the way to go though. Lots of comraderie.

Jim,
                            I think part of the problem with getting numbers to Vicksburg are; the number of good events so far this year (I-600, BGR, Shilo LH. and now V'burg.) with more to come. High School graduations north of the Mason Dixon Line. I know, my daughter is graduating otherwise I would be there. As well as the usual, price of gas, work, family etc. I hope numbers increase for you.
                            Rob Murray

Comment

I would really like to go to this event. I am a progressive reenactor in a mainstream unit. Im a little afraid though because this would be my first authentic event, and really, I don’t know what to expect. I would love to pard up with some guys and go to this even, but I don’t want to feel like a weight. What is your opinions on this being a first event, im all ears and am very open for criticism and want to learn and become a full time authentic reenactor, I just need to get my feet in the water that’s all :wink_smil ...
                              Best regards;
                              Taylor Clark
                              HCB, Lead Balls mess

Comment

Working...
                              X