Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glendale AAR Thread

Boys!

Say, now, with the way you fellers fight over that pair of Elmira pies, let's just say I'm glad we didn't twig shut a couple of corpulent Dutch gals in that bacon box. Naturally, they could have made a small fortune checking you folks for ticks....

I'm longing for yet another walk in those woods right now. The rain soaked, marked up, penciled in, inked over, scribbled on, Steven Stanley map from CWPT that has been in my pocket since Day 1 is probably going to end up in the Columbia Rifles' "Museum" along with some other odds and ends, including a quart can of "O'Beirne's Ass Sap" (the leftover Scott's molasses from Payne's Farm), a certain little green sign (Burkittsville 2005), Stevie's Tail (Bentonville March 2000), and some even more bizarre items from events gone by. Yeah, I guess it was just too early in the war (and the wrong battlefield) for the boys in blue to exclaim they were fighting for the "Fair Parmelia Higgerston!" Long story there, hmmm, maybe too long.....
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

If it's not pie theives at Fort Donelson, it's pie shortages at Glendale. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Pie will be the death of this hobby!
      Peter Julius
      North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Peter,
        I agree! Let's ban pie from the hobby, and speak of it only as a mainstream phenomenon! I would have much rather had 2 bottles of Oh-Be-Joyful to pies and lope eared Dutch gals! :sarcastic
        Josh Orpen
        Shocker Mess
        Centennial #544 F&AM
        IMO George Orpen, 1st LA Zouave Bn

"Give me time to realize my crime, let me love and steal. I have danced inside your eyes, how can I be real?"-Jerry Stiles

Comment

Boys,

Something about a stolen pie makes it taste all that much better. I hope you lads thanked General McCall for the use of his commissary box later that night when he became your guest for a short while.

In light of all this nonsense about how pies are ruining the hobby (hey, that's my job), and pies being the single most divisive issue in the hobby (ditto), and such, it may be high time for School of the Pie Thief II at Athens, Missouri, this coming August. Between the pie, watermelon, and corn, corn, and more corn, that event lends itself well to gluttony. If the price of gasoline goes up much more, we may have to break out the still at that event to have enough fuel to get home, but I digress.

People remember pie long after the event is done.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Note to self...If ever presented with the same or similar situation, keep all pie for the officers. Then, any complaints will only be going in one direction!...Jerry Stiles

Comment

Hell Yeah Jerry - that works for me! After all, it is both fitting and proper for officers to eat the pie - they have earned it! But it would appear that we had a pie Jonah in the ranks of the 2nd Platoon at Glendale who consumed that tasty bit of Yankee contraband all by hisself. If the NCOs (who had custody of said pie) swear that they didn't eat it, and the rank and file "didnt git none" and our lieutenant was too preoccupied, then someone ate that doggone thing! (it sure as hell weren't me, otherwise I wouldn't be a bitching!!
              Cheers,
              Doug aka the Piesexual
              Last edited by Doug Nash; 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Now, I can assure you all that, while overseeing the rest of the NCOs figure out how to divide 4 pieces of pork, 23 potatoes, 8 onions, 1 pie, and 1 pie somewhere inside a small mountain of ants equally amongst 54 enlistedmen, I saw neither Sergeant Orpen nor Corporal Orpen have one bite of that damn pie. They did, however, jealously guard that pie from those in 2nd Platoon who slinked away when they were asked to go on a canteen detail until the rest of 2nd Platoon returned with water.

-Craig Schneider
                Craig Schneider

Comment

Hell, since I was on that very canteen detail, it probably disappeared then! Maybe a bear slipped in unbeknownst in uniform and took it - maybe the bear wore a Yankee uniform, for all I know - it was kinda hot and we were a bit dizzy with thirst...
                  Cheers,
                  Doug

Comment

I got my pie and was happy with that:) (I was one of the lucky ones assigned to 1st platoon for the weekend)....Glendale was an awesome event (my first real campaigner one) and I can't wait till the next one (because of upcoming events for my wedding in July I have taken a break from reenacting till August)

I was soaked on Sunday...come to think of it, the rain did an excellant number on my hat:).....

Take Care.....
                    Robert F. Wallace
                    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Ironic isn't it that 1st platoon was the "lucky" platoon to recieve the aforementioned mountain of ants pie...?

Funny, we had no problem dispersing this pie to 30+ individuals, who managed to enjoy the tease despite the little army of ants that had laid first claim to it.

Paul B.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

To hell with the pie! I'm still looking for the liquor ration! Why think about it; a captured Yankee officer with a huge crate and no liquor? Not likely!:angry_smi

Mark Berrier
                        North State Rifles
                        Mark Berrier

Comment

You think the Pie was the first choice for the ants? I hear tell that the queen ant is quite the lush!
                          Brad Ireland
                          Old Line Mess
                          4th VA CO. A
                          SWB

Comment

Those were Yankee ants.
                            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                            Past President Potomac Legion
                            Long time member Columbia Rifles
                            Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Hell, I was 1st Cpl. and in 1st platoon, and had to cut up all that damn ham (it wasn't easy), and then ended up not getting ANY pie at all. By the time the canteen detail came back and I got my water, I had just enough time to boil it up with some ham and 'taters in it. I ate about 2 mouthfuls of my "salt soup" and we were on the move so I had to dump it. Then, I got stuck on outpost duty and didn't have any water from before our last engagement on Saturday until Sunday morning!!!! So I don't see why anyone is complainin', as I think Jim Peterson and I did enough for all of us Saturday night!!! And I'm with Mark, where the hell was that liquor ration? I needed it real bad. Soldierin' is a hard life.....

And I thought NCO's had it easy....:cry_smile

Shanky
                              Tim Blackmon
                              Hedgesville Blues
                              SHOCKER MESS

Comment

I had fun, and only got three ticks. Helluva thing for an upstate New Yorker like me to go from W64 to a mid-April event that had air temps in the 80s, swarms of skeeters, and ticks galore just two months after W64.

I had one of the most interesting, assigned first-person names I've ever had the priviledge to portray. I was the Fourth Pennsylvania Reserves, Co H's "Lt. Abel T. Sweet". I figured if I added another middle name starting with "B", I could have been "able to be sweet". :)

Great job by the organizers in pulling together a good event in only a few months.
                                Last edited by Kevin O'Beirne; 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X