Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marmaduke's Raid AAR

Ladies and Gentlemen, and those of you from Texas,

I was unable to attend this event. My wife is due very soon and she began to have problems. But I had wanted very much to attend. I am very sure Terry Sourchy and others did a fine job in leading and we don't have to wonder if Frank did his homework.

My point: There are issues of Medical Support at other events that I have attended that simply scare me to death. Not only medical but legal issues as well. I attended an event recently where cowboy medicine can not be used as the standard. Signing a release statement simply does not erase a persons legal rights. The Full Faith Clause that protects our reenacting soldier must always come first. I addressed this issue on another thread, but I got toooo close to the light and it was shut down. Hope, luck and Cowboy Medicine can not be the Standard. I will not go unheard on this issue. AND would welcome a Thread where those of us who know the law and practice could formulate a Care Plan of Action.

Combat Medical Bags come to mind. For those of us who have used then know this plan has been tested. A packing list of basic material for each soldier to pack would be helpful. Snake-bite kits need not be brought.

Johnny, good points, however EMTs are registered by a State and can only practice in the State they are registered in. So, if a EMT/Paramedic practiced in GA when they are Registered in North Carolina, they are in violation of the laws that govern the practice and puts the organization that formed the event in legal jeopardy.

As I am about to retire from the Active Military, I hope to become more active in this hobby and help formulate active care plans for these events.. not only to protect our reenacting soldier but our interest in this hobby.

If I can help until the time I retire please contact me.

GO ARMY!
    Last edited by Dale Beasley; 10-05-2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I did not intend to start a fire storm on this one. The injury was not that bad, and the plan in place was perfect. I meant no critisim on this event or those in charge with putting on the event. My post was meant to be taken in general as a good idea for all events. Reading my own post I can see where it could be misconstrude, and for that I humbly apologize. I feel like a big ol' heel and I should.:confused_:o Please forgive me for the undue trouble I caused.

I have the honor to remain,
      Your Humble Servant....
      Sean Collicott
      Your humble servant....
      Sean Collicott
      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

This is how I understand things. I being a former E.M.T. serving a vol. sq. for over 12 years here in Wisconsin.
        Yes you can be sued, but you can be sued for nearly anything by anyone. The major point is to do no harm and to not treat opposite to your training! Anyone can render first aide if they like but if you are trained you are held to a higher standard of care.
        Parameds are differant as they can give some drugs that's were they might find them selfes getting in trouble state to state. I will always offer basic first aide but that's my choice, I also tell them I am not lic. anymore.
        [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
        Charlene Staples
        Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
        Boonesfield Village
        Lost Tribes
        Bummers

Comment

Quote Dale Beasley:"Johnny, good points, however EMTs are registered by a State and can only practice in the State they are registered in. So, if a EMT/Paramedic practiced in GA when they are Registered in North Carolina, they are in violation of the laws that govern the practice and puts the organization that formed the event in legal jeopardy. "

Dale Yes and No. Yes Each state registers EMT's/ Paramedics, but many states recognize National Registry of EMT's (NREMT). If your an EMT in Wyoming your still and EMT in MO. You though can't operate in a higher level of care unless you have a base hospital in that area. Higher level of care includes IV's, Intubation, Crics, ect. Currently EMT Basics are designed to operate with out much medical control, namely they can't administer drugs (exept Oxygen) outside their area. Most states limit their EMT's to CPR, medical histories,wound care, splinting, and vital signs.
          Each state though has it's own form of a Good Sameritan Law. This law protects a citizen from Legal prosocution if they act or do not act on an emergency situation. They can not be sued as long as they operate in good faith, not charge for the service (money or any other gift) and do not go out of their scope of practice meaning you can't do a procedure you saw on last weeks ER re-run or your favorate M*A*S*H episode.
          I was there when Jeremy burned his hand and I did a quick look over, by the time I saw it the bleeding was controlled and it was isolated to his hand. I as a Paramedic could do no more for him then any one with a basic first aid kit and a little training.

I agree that we all need a list of EMT's,Paramedics, and/or firefigters on these events. I don't believe I was on that list for co A but I really didn't see any problem that required emergency medical attention but if there was I would have been the first to jump in.

Dale I'm sure you already know all this, I was just putting it out for those who are un aware of the Good Sameritan Law and how it protects the good citizen who has the courage to do the right thing.

P.S. "Go Navy!":wink_smil
          [U]Andy Miller[/U]
          1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
          [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

The Good Samaritan law in Texas only protects lay people. When a medical professional performs any kind of medical procedure other than basic first aid, they can be a target for any bodily injury attorney.

Like a previous poster said, "anyone can be sued for anything". As individuals, medical professionals, including EMT's have to live with their own conscience and sensibility on the matter. If I have to reach into my medical bag for a suction device to prevent a man from choking on his own blood, it is an easy decision.

Go Navy.
            Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
            Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
            Shoemaker

Comment

Joe yes your right but as an EMTP assisting in an event out of my state I am considered a lay rescuer with advanced medical knowledge. I will not have any advanced life support equipment and can only offer basic life support at best. In those cases If I am sued They will put a Paramedic and a lay rescuer on the stand and based on the situation can only ask what they would do as a bystander and partisipant in the woods at a reenactment (Fire Service Law).

You are right that the ambulance chasers (No offense to those of you ambulance chasers reading this) will find a loop hole in any thing. That is why I also subscribe to a legal protection and assistance company (tax deductable).

Back to the intent of this post, I as a Firefighter/ Paramedic and as a reenactor, I will assist ANY ONE if they become injured or sick at an event. I will do my best and try to stabilize the person to the best of my ability until the local emergency responders arrive and take over with out fear of legal recourse.
              [U]Andy Miller[/U]
              [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

No harm done on the posts. If this raised a little awareness about medical issues and plans and such I can rest much easier the next time I get a silly notion to plan another event. Or the other guy that gets the same silly notion won't have to lie awake at night going over the what if's. New Hope provided a wake up call that forced me to look more deeply and improve the plan I originally put together. When I called the local EMS the guy on the other end thought I was crazy. "You're going to take 200 men where?"
                While there was a plan there were concernes about the location, how help would get in. How we would get the injured person out. How we would contact EMS was also an issue with no signal for cell phones and radio's that only transmit a half mile. Fortunately I had the Corps of Engineers on board and they agreed to open the access road to the bottom of Goose Creek. The local EMS knew there was going to be an event, however Our site as unique as it was, was remote and that posed considerable challanges.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew there was a plan. There was. I wanted the official story, I got it.
                I'm glad everyone involved is ok and that we didn't need to use the plan.
                People say they had a good time and that made it worth all the trouble.
                Frank
                Frank Aufmuth
                When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Frank,
                  I know the event was a great one, and the fact that you were putting it together was another reason I hated to miss it. But Nature will take its time in doing things and I think we should have a baby by the end of the month.

The issue is not about this event, and no one person here is to blame that this issue was brought up. While having dinner with my wife (also an RN) and her mother who is btw an attorney, who puts no faith in the good samaritian law. We can say we are a brotherhood, and we would never sue anyone, but we know that is not true. The event organizers are under legal obiligation to provide a safety net for injuries and a plan of evacuation. Also, we can not have folks practicing outside not only their ability but outside thier scope.

So, I am going to leave this thread in regards to medical issues, but it is a very good topic, one with much experience input from many accross the field. One that needs to be addressed.

I forgot.....GO ARMY Beat NAVY!
                  Last edited by Dale Beasley; 10-06-2008, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Dale I agree. We can go on about this issue to the enth degree so I think we beat this dead horse enough.
                    The event was spectacular and sorry you missed it. Maybe I will be firing in your direction in a few years.
                    Congrats on the baby, I have my 2nd due in Feb, that means my reenacting has slowed down for a couple of years.

Go Tars! (not NC)
                    [U]Andy Miller[/U]

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but my chigger bites from this event still itch something awful. :confused_

They somehow got-in through my long drawers that were tucked-into my socks... yikes... that's never happened before to me at an event.

I woke-up last night at about 2am and had to scratch my ankles like crazy.

But... it was still worth the trip. LOL

Always your friend -Johnny Lloyd
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                      SCAR
                      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Stomp'n Johnny Lloyd, I too have my share of Chigger/Red Bug bites. I aparently took one for my command because most of them report that they had few if any chigger bites. I however have over 100 from my feet to my hips. Luckily the important parts were spared. Even with this atrocious "wound" I still would not have changed a thing in regards to the event! I don't think I would have called an EMT for the horrible, mind-itchingly bites of doom! (no knock on the folks that need one btw!)

Contingiency plans for reenactors with chigger bites be damned! My "cowboy medince" and total "hard-kewlness" were all that I needed to survive. Well that plus my blankie. :tounge_sm

I R the Hard-Kor-y-ness! Damn the Chiggers full Speed Ahead!
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Did anyone see any ticks? I had TONS of the tiny buggers all over my legs, I was horribly unlady like and pulled down my socks and picked them off all weekend. Now where the tick went in there are TONS of little itchy bumps:cry_smile hopefully these go away soon!!!

Brandi Jones
                          Brandi Jones

Comment

I had 1 tick, but I could give Coatsy a good run for the money on the number of chiggers I had. :cry_smile
                            Johnny, I too had my drawers tucked in my socks, but they found me. Here is how I got rid of the itch on my legs...Epson salts. Take a hot bath, with epson salts in the water, and I also put a handful of salts on my leg and rubbed it into the area of the bites. Did it sting??? No, not really all that much, but it sure took the itch away. Give it a shot, it might work for you.:wink_smil
                            Robert Gobtop
                            Ol Sipley Mess
                            ONV
                            Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

I have been doing with my 250 plus for a weeek now, pretty much dried up and just from time to time feel this over powering need to itch the living "blank" out of me.
                              Aka
                              Wm Green :D
                              Illegitimi non carborundum
                              (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                              Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

I must be living right - I didn't get anything. Course, I'm a Missourian and the critters were probably infatuated with all the fresh game in the area so they left me alone.
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X