Resaca 2009 AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Resaca 2009 AAR

Well at least it only rained during the evening. We were rode hard and put away wet! It was good falling in with my WIG comrads and seeing old friends and making new ones. As always, it was good to see my good buddy Mike Comer who needs recruits for the GA Militia at Bummers (SHAMELESS PLUG). It was also good to meet Warren Hook for the first time, you are a funny guy! It was a looooong ride from the Motor City but well worth it. People seem surprised when you tell them where you are from but as I explained countless times this past weekend when you do Confederate you have to come to GOD'S country to do it. I love falling in with the WIG's: if you are going to do it do it right!

Kudos to Trip and his staff. Great effort on your first event. I also tip my hat to Kiev for being a Company Commander who takes good care of his men. Art Milbert also did a great job as the 1st Sgt. It was almost as if he had commanded a large group of men in the past:wink_smil

The only dissappointments were:

The Chuck Wagon, after all the hype it was just so-so. The all you can eat cat was mushy.

The quality of the sutlers beyond Joe Blunt and Justin Morris. Good Port Justin, thanks!!!

Not being able to enjoy the commradarie of my pards on Sat. evening due to the front rolling in at about 7 p.m. (thats a long time to be confined to a shebang)
    David Parent

The Cracker Mess
    MLK Mess
    Black Hat Boys
    WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

It was really good to see you again Dave as well as Frank and Thomas. And it's the first time in quite a while my messmate Warren has been able to get out and play so it was very good to spend some time with him.

It was a restful weekend for me and a nice getaway. I thank Terry Hancock for a fine job as company commander and the men of Co. E for allowing me the priviliege of being their orderly sgt.

Even my buddy who came down with me from Missouri enjoyed the event even though he was having a flare-up of an inner ear problem which made him too dizzy to participate in much of anything until Sunday's battle. He said it was good just to be in camp and get away from everything for a while and enjoy the camaraderie. I guess that's what keeps many of us coming back isn't it?

While generally frustrated over the battles, I still enjoyed being on the field and functioning as a batallion.

Hats off to Tripp also - he did a fine job.

Join Co. D, Georgia Militia, Bummers - another shameless plug
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Well it was great to get back in the field again after a year and a half of family health layoff.
        It was great to see all old friends and make new ones.
        Dave thanks it was a pleasure to meet you. Mike as always I'll follow you into Hell( or Georgia). Besides when you gather a mess of Missourians how can you have a bad event.
        Thank you Tripp ,Herb and the Wig Staff you did a excellant job. Kiev , Pat Craddock, Thank you again for the extra work you all did it payed off in spades.
        I want to Thank all the Men of Company E we were small but mighty( Best drilled I might add .Who said ""By the Right of Companies to the rear into Column" is so hard? we did it... Terry Hancock is a Drill master!!).
        I look forward to returning to Georgia again....
        Join Company D ,11th Ga Militia, the only True Men of Sumter County.
        Defend your Homes the Time is Now! (not so Shameless plug in fact it is blatent)
        Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: I wanted too
        Warren Hook
        First Sibley Mess
        New Madrid Guards
        WIG

"...And to Missouri we
        Extend both heart and hand
        And welcome her a sister
        Of our Confederate band
        Tho surrounded by oppression
        No one dare deter
        Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
        Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

Gents,

I definitely enjoyed being with all of you. Tripp, Herb, and I got through our first time together rather easily because of the experience of our battalion. We know we had some hiccups and we know we will discuss them via many emails. I want to thank each of the Orderlys for carrying out the all night camp guard duties I assigned. Not one problem, except for that blasted rain. But some already said that it added to their experience, so that makes me feel better.

For me, the best time came Saturday night under the staff fly. Hearing and telling the stories, listening to the men laughing in the camp while it rained, takeing a nip of Mr. Hicks specialized medicine, and hearing the staff sing was awesome.

Though it was a mainstream event, I think we put on a good "WIG" event.

Thanks to all and I look forward to welcoming you to Bummers!

Your thankful Sergeant Major.
          Ken Cornett
          MESS NO.1
          Founding Member
          OHIO
          Mason Lodge #678, PM
          Need Rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcguire View Post
            Well at least it only rained during the evening. We were rode hard and put away wet! It was good falling in with my WIG comrads and seeing old friends and making new ones. As always, it was good to see my good buddy Mike Comer who needs recruits for the GA Militia at Bummers (SHAMELESS PLUG). It was also good to meet Warren Hook for the first time, you are a funny guy! It was a looooong ride from the Motor City but well worth it. People seem surprised when you tell them where you are from but as I explained countless times this past weekend when you do Confederate you have to come to GOD'S country to do it. I love falling in with the WIG's: if you are going to do it do it right!

Kudos to Trip and his staff. Great effort on your first event. I also tip my hat to Kiev for being a Company Commander who takes good care of his men. Art Milbert also did a great job as the 1st Sgt. It was almost as if he had commanded a large group of men in the past:wink_smil

The only dissappointments were:

The Chuck Wagon, after all the hype it was just so-so. The all you can eat cat was mushy.

The quality of the sutlers beyond Joe Blunt and Justin Morris. Good Port Justin, thanks!!!

Not being able to enjoy the commradarie of my pards on Sat. evening due to the front rolling in at about 7 p.m. (thats a long time to be confined to a shebang)
            I never said get the all you can eat crap fish.....I said Steak! :wink_smil
            Kiev Thomason
            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
            WIG
            Armory Guards
            Forest Park Lodge #399
            Forest Park GA.

Comment

yeah i tried posting this before but it did not show up.

Marvin Greer
              Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

You boys is a might uglier than them real authentics!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!

Great pic.
                Galen Wagner
                Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Dave,

You should have gone with the steak. The Chuckwagon probably gets the catfish from the bogs that line I-75 around Calhoun and Resaca.

Kiev said it best. Get the steak! Next time you are down in Jeeorgian (Bummers right?) stop at a Chick fil A Dwart House and get a Hot Brown.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

The Hamburger steak was good. Tom Alleman was eating leftover Catfish in the car on the way home, after it had sat around for over a day. I thought he was going to vaper lock and force Dave and I to have to dump the body in Detroit someplace!
                    Frank Perkin

Comment

Frank, what happens in Detroit stays in Detroit!!!!! I wouldn't eat one day old catfish. Especially after the A.D.D. weather that kept going up and down.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

The best place to eat here is Bowman's Rest. Its not too far from the site and offers up real Southern homemade cooking. They ALWAYS score 100 on the health inspection. Great food !

This was in the Wed. edition of the Calhoun Times. If anyone wants it. Send me a PM. I can send it by envelope or if you want to pay for the larger priority mail thing...send me a couple of bucks to cover shipping. If more than one wants a copy. Check with the Calhoun Times office.

Jerry Holmes
                        28th GA. Inf
                        65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Glad to see Grannie still carrying the Geo colors. I thought I killed him at Fort McAllister a couple of years when he tried to escape as we were processing prisoners. I mean that almost literally, and felt bad for months....
                          Ross L. Lamoreaux
                          rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Did any of you fine gentlemen leave a large, off-white blanket with machine surged edges near the Company D Craddock's/ Dippin Gourds Campsite? If so I got her. PM me if it's you'ns!
                            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                            Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                            ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                            ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                            ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                            ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                            ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Real life has me busy. Sorry these pics are so late, but I finally got them posted.

Regards,
                              Jim Butler
                              SCAR
                              SRR
                              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                              X