Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"-JAN 31-FEB 1,2009

Gents,
    I have placed the few images I collected on my profile page.

Mostly, the images lack any composition and confederates, but they did capture some of the good souls I shared my weekend with.

Cheers
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

To our NCO corps,good to serve under you guys.Y'all made darn fine NCOs.Marse Craddock,you're a hard man,but a fair one.I will gladly serve under you again any time.Co. D gave the Feds a hard fight.

Sat. morning was a true wake up call.Standing guard duty with only a few rasains and a handfull of coffee beans being the only thing I ate in 16 hours,wonderingf if I would be taken prisoner after being surrounded with Eli and Marvin during Sat. morning's fight,having to simply duck trying to cross the road,having a stare-down with Art Milbert,working on Fort Thornyvine,and getting stuck in the middle on No-Man's-Land alone on Sunday morning were great.But the best part was shooting Eric Brown,(He's truly a good sport).Of course,being asked every hour if I stole my trousers off a dead minstral kept it all in the real and kept a sense of humor to it all.(And no,I did not steal them from a dead mintral.I simply tied and gagged him,beat him with a thore bush,then stole them).

Eli,my hat is off to you.Great event.
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

• First of all I just want to give a HUGE thanks to all the boys in the Dippin' Gourds and those others who organized the event,and made a couple of days out in the "boonies" such a memorable experience. To the gentlemen of the 2nd East Tenn., the event is only as good as the company your in, and everyone was top notch, and did their duty to perfection. Thank you Capt. Hicks for your leadership.

This event was very close to me as I've never had the chance to actually portray someone who was from my own community. I really tried to get myself in the mind set of a Unionist, from a prodominately Confederate county. This was the actual situation four of my ancestors were in, so that was cool.

To my pards who were captured along with me, you guys made a negative, one of the most memorable times I've ever had at an event. Brett it was a pleasure working with you, your welcome with the AG anytime! It was very intense working together in hushed voices, plotting with the contraband (aka Marvin Green), and taking my small role of leadership, in making sure I got all of the men and their gear back to our lines, at night,without being discoverd. We actually did it, and the Confederates apparently were none the wiser. The cool thing was that 99% of our interaction, between us and them, was in 1st person. Thanks to Mr Craddock , Mr Woodburn,Pat Lewis, Kalin V. and the others for great 1st person interaction.Your hospitality was second to none. I'm just sorry we had to eat and run !:D Special thanks to Whit Barr , who bore most of the brunt on my Unionist fervor !

Garrett and Greg, their are no two other guys, who I would rather almost feeze
        to death with!
        Great job all around, Hows' about we do it again sometime.
        Take Care all,
        Eric
        Last edited by Mtn.Guerilla; 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM.
        Eric N. Harley-Brown
        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I enjoyed much of the event and plenty of thanks has already been given, so I will only post a picture of an unknown Confederate soldier that I think is really good. Whoever you are, please take and use this image if you like it.
          Attached Files
          [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
          [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

That's Middle Tennessee's own Justin Morris - The Ramblin' Irishman.
            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
            Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
            ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
            ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
            ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
            ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
            ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Damn I look sexy! Beside the fact that I'm licking my lips because they are so chapped (no comments Mitch).

Thank you sir for posting that! I will use it with pride! Hopefully I wasn't too harsh a guard:tounge_sm

Justin
              [B]Justin Morris[/B]
              [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
              "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Sir if you have any pics of the Confederate works please post them.We wanted to have them documented since we did so much work on them but none of us had a camera.I would be most appreciative.
                Thank you.
                Juston Pope
                "Temperance"
                Independent Rifles

Do YOU get tired of hamming and yamming at the Rootbeer stand? Tired of the soft handed authentic movement? PM me and join the IR!

Comment

My hat goes off to Eli for putting on a great event. Great tract of land to totally immerse ones self. It was remarkable how we transformed our campsite into Fort Parlay, as some called it! That was one fine set of works. Many people have given thanks to individuals so I would like to mention a few that haven't been spoken of. For starters, I would like to thank our cook whose name I did not get. He made sure everyone got some rations. The sausage and the beans were top notch! As stated the NCO's did a great job, especially Eric Fair our corporal in the 1st platoon. He was the consumate professional and I believe he will soon be promoted. I was really impressed with Nathans impression. I've never attended an event where a black man was present. It elevated the level of realism. Reading the post that implied that he aided and abetted the Yanks escape indicates that he (Nathan) gave the Yanks a great "moment" too.

It was good to meet alot of new faces and to reaquaint myself with others who I have not seen in a while. I would like to do this event again and I hope Eli takes my suggestion of moving it back a few weeks. Those nights at around 2-3 to reville were brutal! Last but not least, I would like to express my appreciation for the young guys of the Dippin Gourd Mess. It's good to know that this hobby has a future after alot of us fossils are ready to hang it up. When you guys showed up at my fire on Friday night I was not trying to be rude, I was just tired leaving MI at 3:00 am and driving all night.
                  David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                  MLK Mess
                  Black Hat Boys
                  WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Sure wish I could have been there but you wouldn't believe what the Missouri Bootheel looks like after that ice storm. I don't think there's a tree in my area that hasn't been torn up by it. I'm still battling to get 4 state parks cleaned up and reopened to the public, plus I'm on Day 8 of no power or heat at my home. Looks like I got the experience of being out and sleeping in the cold but none of the fun. Maybe next time.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Here are some images that were snapped after the event Sunday by brother Pat Lewis...this is from the Citadel Craddock, Fort Thornyvine, etc and also an image of most of the Gourds
                      Attached Files
                      Kaelin R. Vernon
                      SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Ya beat me to it, Kaelin!

If anyone would like larger-resolution images of these, feel free to get in touch with me.
                        [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                        [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                        [/FONT]

Comment

As a member of the famous Dippin Gourds, I want to personally think all of you guys that made the trip to Tennessee to support us in this event.
                          Cliff Kelley

"If I had a thousand lives, I would give them all rather than betray my friends or be false to my duty" - Pvt. Sam Davis Nov. 27, 1863

Comment

Pictures of the works is what you want, then that is what you get...
                            Attached Files
                            [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                            [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Thank you sir for this.It has many shots of the Independent Rifles hard at work on their section of the line.All did their duty in our company,but i was so proud of our section of the line that the I.R worked on all day.I am so proud to have been able to assist in the matter in my small nco role to have assisted to the greater survival of ourselves by erecting those all important works.

To all those i served with,under and for, I thank you.
                              Juston Pope
                              "Temperance"
                              Independent Rifles

Do YOU get tired of hamming and yamming at the Rootbeer stand? Tired of the soft handed authentic movement? PM me and join the IR!

Comment

Working...
                              X