BUMMERS Registration Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BUMMERS Registration Open!

Just a reminder that we need for you fill out every part of the registration whether it's a yes or no answer. I have received many with ages missing, health conditions missing, etc. Age is important for liability reasons. At Rich Mountain I had a handful of boys try to "slide" around me under the age of 16. And I thought fake ID's were for bars...:p.
    Ken Cornett
    MESS NO.1
    Founding Member
    OHIO
    Mason Lodge #678, PM
    Need Rules?

Comment

What exactly are the "preservation torches"?
      Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
      The Tater Mess

Comment

What exactly are the "preservation torches"?
        Kyle:

Good question. The torches were the brainchild of Matt Woodburn (Notice the tie-in with his name? Just realized that last week :D). All we can tell you at this point is that they very well may come in handy - especially on the Federal side. They are being made using period methods by two of our Armory Guard friends Kiev Thomason and Jordan Roberts. They can also be kept after the event as a memento to remember Bummers... and as our friend Johnny Lloyd pointed out, there is some irony here about combining the words "Preservation" and "Torch". ;)

The torches are twelve dollars apiece and can be purchased at the same time that you send in your registration. They are the first of our fund-raising efforts for the event. Matt will be along to talk about some of the other fundraising very soon.

Hopefully, I sufficiently answered your question.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Great!! cause honestly I really want to burn something, But being Milish, it will only be a pile of blue bodies, not my majestic Georgia.... Pah!!
          Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 12-05-2008, 07:27 PM.
          Warren Hook
          First Sibley Mess
          New Madrid Guards
          WIG

"...And to Missouri we
          Extend both heart and hand
          And welcome her a sister
          Of our Confederate band
          Tho surrounded by oppression
          No one dare deter
          Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
          Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

I've registered for the event and even bought one of those nice torches. I've waited a long time for an event like this, and I can't wait for next November.
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Welcome aboard Bob! Thanks for your interest. We plan to have the preliminary registered list out very soon. Keep checking this folder for news.
              ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

Alright, Eric has asked me to start posting some information about our fund raising for Bummers. I always ask some questions about this kind of stuff, like where's the money going and why should I care? The designated recipient (that's the organization who gets the money for those of you who count with help of your toes) is the Wray Collection at the Atlanta History Center. I had the chance this past weekend to meet with Gordon Jones who is the Senior Military Historian and Curator of the Atlanta History Center. He told me the museum is buying this collection and has 1.3 million to go. So our help is very much needed and very much appreciated. He also said that this collection has many of the one of a kind Confederate items in existence. So it's a collection worth preserving. The collection is massive and I know most of us would love the opportunity to look it over. It will need to go to a museum if we want to see it. Collections like this otherwise go the Heritage or Cowans auctions and go into private hands. So what can you do to help? Right now, buy a "Preservation Torch" when you register. If you already registered, but didn't get one, you can go back and order one. You will pick up yours when you register at the event. You are going to need them at Bummers. Yep, we're using them. Remember, Bummers is not some mamby pamby, politically correct, spectator event. We're going to rain hell on this place. You will have the once in a lifetime chance to really burn and destroy. You might actually be ordered to. And everyone knows a Bummer without a torch is like a man without balls or a backbone. And anyone who has read a real history book outside of a public school (quit squirming, I'm a product of public school), knows that the Johnnies burned just as much trying to keep anything of use out of the hands of the Yankees. So Johnnies, buy a torch and burn all the food we're supposed to forage. Make us really starve for a weekend. If you are decended of real Confederates and you don't burn the Yankees supplies, your ancestors are rolling over in their graves and you're no longed allowed to whistle Dixie. If I were going Johnny to this, the Yanks wouldn't get a bite to eat all weekend unless they chewed on Georgia clay. That's the kind of welcome mat you lay out for Sherman's bummers. And you politely say after you have totally screwed the Yankees into starvation a passive aggressive, "Y'all come back again now! Ya hear!" I've learned the way of the southerners (suthron for those who are) in my fourteen years in Dixie and with an Alabama wife. At this event the Johnnies are out numbered and out gunned so, bottom line you rebels need to get torches too. It's really the only way to make the Yanks pay hell. Burn our food and we're screwed. Gee, everybody needs a torch to play. So order yours today!

I'll post other things we are going to do once they are confirmed.
                Matt Woodburn
                Retired Big Bug
                WIG/GHTI
                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

The early returns are looking good. Should reach a hundred registered tomorrow I should think. Just for poops and giggles, here are the top three groups registered for each side in order:

Federal
                  10th Iowa
                  76th Ohio
                  97th Indiana

Confederate
                  Hancock
                  Comer
                  Poythress

Keep'em comin' fellas!
                  Ken Cornett
                  MESS NO.1
                  Founding Member
                  OHIO
                  Mason Lodge #678, PM
                  Need Rules?

Comment

Matt ain't BS you guys!Come on down and we will rain all Hell on this place.Buy a torch and save a life.....well maybe just a collections life as a whole but none the less!:wink_smil

This money is gonna go to the History Center and no where else.They really need our help.I know that times are hard right now for some folks...heck I am out of work,but we all will make it.The Wray collection will not if folks like us don't try and save it!

Bully up boys ....
                    Kiev Thomason
                    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

So, Ken, does this mean we'll be getting a registered list soon? Hmmmmm>:wink_smil I need to know which guys to kick in the ass to get their registrations in.:D
                      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                      WIG/GVB
                      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Chris:

We will have a registered list up soon after we hit the 100 mark... meaning soon. :D

Matt and Kiev mentioned the Wray Collection. We have some photos in this thread - Click Here.

There is more information on the preservation page of our web site - Click Here.

By the way, due to his unbridled enthusiasm for Bummers, we are working on a new avatar for Matt. This one has been suggested:
                        Attached Files
                        ERIC TIPTON
                        Former AC Owner

Comment

The 100 mark has been reached...Eric I will forward the info later today.

Holler...I will send you a message after work today!
                          Ken Cornett
                          MESS NO.1
                          Founding Member
                          OHIO
                          Mason Lodge #678, PM
                          Need Rules?

Comment

The 100 mark has been reached...Eric I will forward the info later today.
                            Outstanding! Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far. We are 20% there in terms of our overall registration goal less than one month into registration. We will have the registered list up in the next few days.

Ken is.... the registration master. ;)
                            ERIC TIPTON
                            Former AC Owner

Comment

By the way, due to his unbridled enthusiasm for Bummers, we are working on a new avatar for Matt. This one has been suggested:
                              Hi,

If that is what you yankees look like, I might need to get a little more ammunition to defend the state of Georgia. Second thought, I might need to invest in a cannon!!!!!!!!:wink_smil

Andrew
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Neither ammunition nor cannon can save any of us. Make peace with your God. You will be with him soon.
                                Matt Woodburn
                                Retired Big Bug
                                WIG/GHTI
                                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
                                X