Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

Those boots have been passed along to another person whom they fit perfectly....I will have my new Serio boots well broken in by Spring 2009 so I won't have to wear my only other pair of shoes.....the heels of which were left in the gumbo of the BGR trails this past Spring.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Just reading the AARs of BGR made me want to get into CW outside of my job. (Currently i only do the world wars). I only hope that I can have my kit and everything else squared away in time for this one!
      -Rob Williams
      Ft. Delaware State Park
      Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
      p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Comment

Rob,

Attitude can't be loaned- gear can. You show up, we'll kit you out.

That's not to stop you from having a shopping spree between now and the event but don't let the lack of equipment prevent you (or anyone else) from not coming.

This hobby is too small to sit out event for such reasons. I would wager that MANY of the folks on this forum have enough extra bits and pieces to double the numbers in the field if we could get the manpower.

Hope to see you in Kisatchie next spring. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cordially,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred,
          Very nicely put, I may quote you in the future upon that staement about attitude.
          Quite a few of us have closets of stuff we seem to keep around just for loaners. I have no problem loaning, just wish some others were not so forgetful about returning.
          Anyways cannot wait for the event. Prehaps i can hear some of those strange primal screams again? At first I thoughtit was Tom, just was it was too primal even for him :).
          Dusty Lind
          Running Discharge Mess
          Texas Rifles
          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Dusty,

Fred's comment about sitting out events wasn't bad either. Dang, two keepers in one post!

(Must be that springwater you give Fred from time to time.)
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by GeraldDuval View Post
              Just reading the AARs of BGR made me want to get into CW outside of my job. (Currently i only do the world wars). I only hope that I can have my kit and everything else squared away in time for this one!
              Rob - contact me via PM, I got you covered.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

We were three French in the BGR, we are going to make everything to be more many in the "TGR", the eight, that would indeed be, it is my objective …
                We work with Lazy to motivate our European companions and form so, a good big company of the old continent...
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

Well done mon ami!!!! The recruitment effort amongst the Lazy Jacks and their friends of like mind is gathering pace. Our objective is to field a complete international company. There were 15 of us at BGR, what say we attempt double that. We'll give it our very best shot.
                  Warm regards to all,
                  Patrick Reardon.
                  The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

I believe that possible my friend !!!
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

Having just returned from Kisatchie, I must report due to the warm weather and leaf fall it is difficult to tell the difference between fallen leaves and a Copperhead snake. I must say that it speaks volumes that men are willing to come from Europe to attend Into the Piney Woods. I will clear the snakes out before you all arrive.
                      Tom Yearby
                      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Not, especially not :cry_smile, it's good food snakes for the french, if you have more two or three frogs, one or two tortle and an aligator, not need of ration for French, you have all the spot food for us... :tounge_sm
                        J'aime la Louisiane pour ça Nourriture :thumbs_up
                        William Miconnet
                        French Mess
                        AES
                        BGR & IPW Survivor
                        Never ever give up!
                        I believe!

Comment

Tom,
                          Did you see any signs of the Bayou Yeti? As for rations, as long as there is tree bark and pine needles, we'll be fine.
                          Rick Biddle
                          Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
                          Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Pards,
                            It may well be a large European Company attending the Piney Woods event.
                            I am currently recruiting amongst the 18th Virginia boys and there may be as many as 5 coming over.
                            Look forward to it greatly ,as long as Mr.Yearby clears out them pesky snakes,after my close call with a pygmy rattler in Florida the last time i was over.
                            can,t wait

Jason Tailford
                            18th Virginia Infantry
                            Co G
                            Nottoway Grays
                            Temperance Mess.

Comment

My deception is great:cry_smile, in the BGR, I did not see big animals, just my English companions:tounge_sm and I did not see a single small animal, except a small bottle of beer all 10 m.
                              8000 km for that, it is great disappointment, but, I go the next time, by love... :D
                              William Miconnet
                              French Mess
                              AES
                              BGR & IPW Survivor
                              Never ever give up!
                              I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by biddler165 View Post
                                Tom,
                                Did you see any signs of the Bayou Yeti? As for rations, as long as there is tree bark and pine needles, we'll be fine.

Do not torture me more, that gives hunger your slim, "I have the water of it in the mouth as" we say in French...:tounge_sm
                                William Miconnet
                                French Mess
                                AES
                                BGR & IPW Survivor
                                Never ever give up!
                                I believe!

Comment

Working...
                                X