Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into the Piney Woods Impressions

Holler and other interested parties,
    Checking the current catalog for the Osmans states the "Iowa" badge is made of fine German silver. The price is $15 ppd.

Hope this helps,
    Jeremy A. Powell
    Corn Fed Comrades
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Western Independent Grays

Comment

It would be ok if a few had them but not all. This real Hawkeye is not going to buy one. But please for those of you who want one buy one.

My company letter lasted maybe half the day last year. And it is somewhere in the LA woods. Fred or Tom could you find it for me?
      Thanks Jeremy! I hope to see you and some Cornfeds at some events this year. Any chance a few of you could make Kennesaw? We need as many Iowans or those that portray Iowans there.
      On Iowa!
      Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM. Reason: Waned to thank Jeremy
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Holler,

The Ground Hornets spent two days in January tramping the hills and hollows for our quarterly muster, to no avail. On the second night one of the pickets thought he saw the tell-tale glint of moonlight on a brass letter. The wind was such that bearer of the brass insignia was determined to be the Bayou Yeti, which lets off a fierce and distinctive musk.

The Yeti is believed to have picked up many items lost during the event, including my poke sack of smoking tobacco, lost the first day. It also had on a shirt dropped by Greg Deese, Frank Aufmuth's bugle mouthpiece, and part of TJ Brumager's shoe. Someone had taught it to eat pine needles as well, for the picket plainly saw the Yeti eating them.

Efforts to recover the brass letter failed but you'll get another crack at in come March of '09.

Regards,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred,

Thank you for your efforts. We have a thing up here in Iowa called the Man Beast. Most be the same family.

By the way did you happen to see Chase Pinkum?

Oh Chase Pinkum
          What were you thinking
          you signed three years
          to fight for Abe Lincoln!

We are already working on next year!

Can't wait!
          Nathan Hellwig
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Holler,
            Just read your post and had to smile. 2009 is going to be bully!
            Robert Gobtop
            Ol Sipley Mess
            ONV
            Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

Goose(as we called Deese) also dropped on Saturday a deck of cards, a huge book (I think it was Moby Dick. I prefer Dime novels) paper and much, much more. He was like a sutler in the Sh*t A$$ Platoon.

We know the rebs had fun finding his stuff. Made for some really good first person. But it also should teach people to only take what you need!

Holler
              Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Ah ha! That explains it! On the second day in 07 some of us trekked down to the waterfall for a much sought after bath. Mr. Burns and Simpson had built us a nice platform out of fallen wood that spanned the small creek on which to stand and it was tucked back into a fern covered grotto and out of sight of prying eyes. The waterfall then cascaded overhead from about the height of a modern day shower head. It took some mountaineering skills to climb down in there and needless to say the bulk of clothing had to be left up top draped on vegetation.

Upon returning up top I discovered the period cut glass broach I had bought from John and Beth Crabb missing and after crawling around on hands and knees in my underpinnings like a fool for a good long while, I gave up finding it. So, if you run into that dad burned Yeti, tell him that broach looks better on me will ya?:D
                Last edited by Cottoncarder; 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM.
                [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
                Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
                [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

Are any civilian impressions expected for this event?
                  Annette Bethke
                  Austin TX
                  Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
                  [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Annette,

Yes we are. I'll get some additional info up on that soon.

I work in college admissions and this time of year is fever-pitch!

Cordially,
                    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Sign me up to as a Federal, I want to see how Master Campaigner Doug Cooper sets the example.
                      Gregory Deese
                      Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                      "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

For one spirit of this event...
                        A special thought today for our friend in all who would be 50 years old today...
                        "You miss us companion, but you are always there in our heart"
                        William Miconnet
                        French Mess
                        AES
                        BGR & IPW Survivor
                        Never ever give up!
                        In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                        I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by SCTiger View Post
                          Sign me up to as a Federal, I want to see how Master Campaigner Doug Cooper sets the example.
                          Greg - do what we all did (including you) at BGR and just try to keep up with Baker and Yearby. :) We may need you to reprise your role as escape artist so we can find out what the Pelicans are up to.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

For one spirit of this event...
                            A special thought today for our friend in all who would be 50 years old today...
                            "You miss us companion, but you are always there in our heart"

William,

I did not meet many of the Lazy Jacks at BGR, but I am an introvert. Steve walked up to me during a break in the last march and struck up a conversation. He impressed me as a fine, friendly gentleman.

p.s. I enlisted the help from a college student to translate your research on Black Confederates. It will probably take awhile longer.
                            Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
                            Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
                            Shoemaker

Comment

Thanks Joe,

Steve was like that, he was open-handed (le coeur sur la main) as said in French...
                              William Miconnet
                              French Mess
                              AES
                              BGR & IPW Survivor
                              Never ever give up!
                              In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                              I believe!

Comment

Boozie added this link to information in text format about the 24th Iowa : http://www.sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/24th.html The great advantage is that it is quick loading. Unfortunately, it's lacking some important details.

I had provided this link to a scanned version in pdf format which is a slower load : Roster and Record of Iowa Soldiers in the War of the Rebellion. It contains much of the same information as the text format provided by Boozie, but the advantage is that is it contains biographical information about every soldier in the regiment. In particular, there's information about state where born, place where enlisted, date when enlisted, date when mustered out, and incidentals like killed, wounded, captured, promoted, deserted and et cetera. Downloading the entire volume onto my computer made it much easier to view these pages than one at a time online.

I am fortunate to be able to review this information and a bit more at my local public library which contains all the volumes of the Iowa Adjutant General's reports. I was able to learn a bit more about the field and staff officers of the regiment from these other volumes. Once we get closer in time to the event and companies designated, a review of the biographical information for each company will be a great boon to the blue participants of this event.
                                Silas Tackitt,
                                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                                X