Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After Action Review

Greg and Sean,

Glad to see that the event went off well. I'm extremely jealous that I wasn't able to attend. I've been pretty ill the last week and a half, had a lot of storm damage/debris to clean up, had a chance to win some cash on Sunday (not even lying here), and to top it off I actually had a test to study for.

Yeah, I'm a farb. Hope the guys in Kiev's company had fun. I missed being around you guys. Real life sucks to the max.... :tounge_sm

PS: Joel, don't be some camera happy. :D
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

I would also like to add to the Federal picket duty on Friday night where as a picket disappeared and we did not know where he went. I was alerted quickly ... while all thought he had been "captured" during some secret Confederate mission in reality he was getting rid of a little bacon that wasn't sitting too well in his stomach... luckily we found him and all was well! The invading cows were great especially when we awoke in the morning tosee them laying there in the field staring at us. Thanks guys!
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Tony DiMaiolo
      37th Tennessee
      Hard Case Boys[/FONT]

Descendant of Pvt. Samual Goodfellow 9th New Jersey Volunteers "The Muskrats"

Comment

Thanks to all who attended. Thanks to all who made the event possible.
        Thanks for the compliments and the criticism. This was our first attempt.

The commanders did a great job making the scenarios work that we had laid out. I had a vision on how the event might go and all participants made that happen. One hope was that everyone would learn about the Knoxville campaign. Whether through my posts of information about Knoxville or Poe's AAR and then see these events happen over the weekend. Another hope was for each man to have good memories from the weekend and want to come back for another East Tennessee event (maybe a true first person weekend!!).
        The weekends event was designed to take advantage of the land as best as possible and offer the men a few surprises along the way.

The actions of the weekend were all historically based.

Saturday morning: The battle of Armstrong Hill

Saturday afternoon: The Confederates take the Federal advanced positions

Saturday evening: The 2nd Michigan's failed and unauthorized attempt to retake the positions. They suffered great loss. (Sorry Brian McG, no documented baseball game)

Saturday night: That was fully spontaneous!!

Sunday Morning: The Confederates disastrous dawn assault upon Ft Sanders.

My only regret is that my friend, Wendell Decker, was unable to perform his craft on Sunday. Be sure to support him when you see him this year.

BTW: I was responsible for the headlights on Sat night. It was the only way I could get an injured pard out, short of carrying him. I am a small man, I needed a truck ( Iwas not driving or I would have turned the lights off)

Go back and read the posts from Poe's AAR and review the weekend.

One of the best things that hosting/ organizing an event will do, is allow you to get to know more really great men.

Thanks and see you all real soon,
        Last edited by Greg Barnett; 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM.
        Greg S Barnett
        Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Greg,
          notasshortasme...........

Paddy
          [FONT=Arial]Chris Cox[/FONT]
          [I]"BullCalf"[/I]
          [B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Co.B 45th AL[/COLOR][/B]
          [I][COLOR="Navy"][B]Possum Skinner Mess[/B][/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by BullCalf View Post
            Greg,
            notasshortasme...........

Paddy
            Paddy,

I said small not short:wink_smil
            Greg S Barnett
            Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
            ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Tony,

My only sleep of the night occured about the time the picket went missing. I started to roll out of my somewhat warm blanket to help you guys check it out, but alas he was found and I went back to shivering.

Marvin (Mr. Burns),

I'll agree our sleeping private was the "class clown" for the weekend. He definately was comic relief. Falling asleep on duty, running across the open field and baseball slide, taking his couters and jacket off during picket duty, taking off his couters on the top of the works after the attack on Sunday. I only wish that there was an attack about that time to see how fast he would scramble. Watching Jim's clerk take my saber and stripe his legs. I could go on, but that were some of his highlights.
              One more thing. You are a shifty and quick person. We did not have to worry about getting you captured.

Another funny thing was our clerk getting captured after our failed attack on Saturday while he was waiting to collect our dead and wounded. The garrison troops along with a couple of the artillery gents with pistols blazing went in to "save the clerk". About that time here the all come walking back up the hill.

I would like to thank all of my NCO's. You guys did a great job running the company. Thanks for letting me borrow it for a little while. Thanks to Mr. Thomas and all of his NCO's and his Lt. It was a pleasure fighting along side your men. I hope to do it again very soon.
              Sean Cooper
              [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
              SCAR

Comment

Sean, Jim, and Greg; Thanks to all for a good event and for inviting us to be a part of it. The fort was impressive. As someone posted earlier, "when do we get to add on to it?". It was also great to have an event less than 2 hours from home. I must add to the list of magic moments the rebs returning the lost backpack. It turned out to belong to one of my men who thought he had been wearing it all day. Also unforgettable is the adjutant's field adapted body armour made from cow bone. I look forward to serving with all of you again.

Dave Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Barnett View Post
                  Paddy,

I said small not short:wink_smil
                  Good one, Greg
                  [FONT=Arial]Chris Cox[/FONT]
                  [I]"BullCalf"[/I]
                  [B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Co.B 45th AL[/COLOR][/B]
                  [I][COLOR="Navy"][B]Possum Skinner Mess[/B][/COLOR][/I]

Comment

I had a great time, glad it didn't rain till we were leaving.

Dalton Eubanks
                    Dalton Eubanks
                    Breckinridge Greys

Comment

Working...
                    X