Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

All,

It is my intention to raise a 100 man battalion to oppose the Confederate works at River's Bridge SC in February 2010.

These are tentative plans, as the planning committee has not yet met, but I wanted to put the word out becasue there is a good chance this will happen.

Shermans men marched through the swamp, building a cord road in icy conditions in 1865. The PLHA (Brad Malone and Neill Rose) has done an excellent job putting together a Confederate immersions scenario in the works, and I propose they need a legitimate foe.

I would like for 3 men to raise 30 man companies for the event, near Erhardt SC in February 2010. As I am the private type, I would also need a BN Staff. At minimum a Bn Co, XO, Sgt Maj, and Adjutant.

Registration for the BN will be minimal...maybe just enough to cover a coffee and cracker ration issue Sat morning (around $10.00 or so.)

There is the possibility of a Friday preservation march involved, whereby we spend the night at another location, and march in Sat morning to camp. I will try to work that out. I would like to see a scenario where Confederate pickets are pushed back into the works when we come into camp.

Go here to read info on the battle.

http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/twhp/w...s/94facts3.htm

I have a very well done report I will be posting excerpts from as I have time.

If you would be interested in serving on the staff, or raising company...please e-mail me at gpg.wagner@charter.net and I will keep you posted.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Report Exceprt

The Strongest Position I Ever Saw In My Life:
    Mapping and Site Study of the Rivers Bridge Battlefield

"In January of 1865 Sherman launched the invasion of South Carolina. His army of more than 60,000 marched into the state in two wings, just as it had through Georgia, to confuse the Confederates and prevent them from concentrating their forces in opposition.

The left wing, led by Major General Henry W. Slocum and comprising the Fourteenth and Twentieth Army Corps, moved up both banks of the Savannah River as if threatening Augusta.

The right wing, consisting of the Fifteenth and Seventeenth Corps under the command of Major General Oliver Otis Howard, marched from Beaufort with the appearance of threatening Charleston. In reality both wings were headed for the state capital of Columbia.

The left and right wings were to make their first junction on the railroad line that ran from Augusta to Charleston. To get there, however, they had to first cross the Salkehatchie River.

In his initial advance, Howard’s right wing moved inland from Beaufort and quickly outflanked Confederate defenses at Pocataligo, a depot on the Charleston-Savannah railroad line. The small Confederate division there under the command of Major General Lafayette McLaws evacuated its fortifications on the night of January 14 and withdrew to prepared defenses farther inland on the north bank of the Salkehatchie. There the Confederates hoped the rain-swollen river and its thick swamp would impede the Union advance. Howard resumed his advance at the end of the month. His troops marched up the south bank of the Salkehatchie, intending to take
    one or more of the major crossings.

The Fifteenth Corps under Major General John Logan advanced toward the northernmost crossing at Buford’s Bridge. The Seventeenth Corps, led by
    Major General Frank Blair, headed for Rivers Bridge, about six miles downstream."
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Re: Tentative - Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

Galen,

Any chance the dates for this event will be the weekend of 5-7 February 2010, since the actual battle was 2-3 February 1865? Just asking since a few fellows who like winter huts may have something going in the northlands two weeks later, and the weekend in between is one of those Her Daze.

Rev. Chris Crabb would likely enjoy assisting with the pre-event historical materials, and he is back in the Palmetto State.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Mr Heef,

It was the 2nd weekend this year...the 14th and 15th. Not sure on a date for 2010 yet.

Will let folks know as soon as it is available.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Comment

Mr. Wagner,

You should get together with a certain Mr. Williams from S. Carolina. I'm told you know each other.
          Rob Murray

Comment

Rob,

Hardly anyone knows Dan by that name. Hehehehe.

Galen,

Brave men to fool with Valentine's Day like that!

Chris's email is Secesh65@aol.com if you want to mine his resources. Make sure you visit the outhouse before getting on the phone. Just a friendly hint, because he talks as if he was born in Wisconsin. Between a potential Rivers Bridge and the Five Forks event, this month is filling right up. Marse William's email is dwonfire@msn.com, just in case you don't have it handy.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

True, you are correct...I believe it was the weekend before Valentines.

I checked and it was...Feb 7-8. So it will most likely be the first weekend.

Forgive me...I do recall my phone number on occasion without the help of whitepages!

Rob...Mr Williams?? Again...the phone number analogy.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen,

River's Bridge has always been the first weekend of February. The Williams has to be Bobo. Everyone in that area uses an alias. Cornbread comes to mind. Bobo and Cornbread sometimes travel to events together.
                Claude Sinclair
                Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Galen,

You have a PM.

Claude,

I thought Bobo and Cornbread came as a pair? But you are correct, it was Bobo I was refering to.
                  Rob Murray

Comment

Bobo's emphasis is likely to be Aiken. I've spoken to him a couple times since Piney Woods about a road march of approximately 35 miles - mostly along rural, dirt roads - to Aiken during the weekdays before the reenactment. He says he's got a route all picked out. Having never set foot in South Carolina, I don't know the area. Regarding the Aiken reenactment, I have heard enough about it to make me leary of such an event ; however, a multi-day, serious road march has been known to peak my interest.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Galen,

I'll bring this up to the Low Country folks. We'll consider it for our 2010 Schedule...
                      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Peter,

I appreciate that. I am hoping if it comes together, we can do a little road march into the site Friday.
                        Galen Wagner
                        Mobile, AL

Comment

What part of S.C. is that in ? I want to see how long it'd take my fellow unit members to drive from Southeast La. and Soutwest MS.
                          Thanks
                          Dennis Neal
                          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

All, the event is in Erhardt SC. It is appx 5 hours from Montgomery Dennis.

The event is a go....received this from Mrs Cornbread:

Galen,

Well, we finally had our meeting this past Sunday and it looks like there will be a RB 2010! Your proposal to raise a Federal campaign group was well received and you may proceed. It looks like the date will be January 29-31, 2010 as Super Bowl is Feb. 7th.

I believe we can accommodate this number in two areas--the one you were in last year and another area to the left and below the works. Our one concern is that you make everyone aware that the weather can be very unpredictable at that time of year so watch the weather reports and be prepared!

Thanks for taking this one and helping to improve the event.

Sherry Key.
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Comment

I'm in. Sounds like a good time.
                              Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
                              Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                              X